T Nation

Individual Bodypart Growth

Hey CT,

Quick question for you and anyone else who would like to chime in. I have noticed over the past year that anything on the “front” of my body (chest, quads, biceps, shoulders) seem to respond much slower in terms of size and strength than do parts on my “back” (hams, lats, triceps for sure, calves).

Have you noticed this with any of your athletes? In sticking with your training philosophy, I want to fix this problem, if it indeed is one. Higher frequency for the front body parts? Thank you!

Not sure if this helps or not but I seem to be very shoulder and tricep dominant. I have been using the layer system for awhile and have benched two times a week and shoulders/traps are probably my best body parts and I can tell that my chest is lagging.

When I started arms have always been a weak point for me, so what did I do? Focus on these areas! Triceps really are pocket rockets, and can be decievingly powerful. So to bring these up, I taylored my pressing sessions to engage them more; I do push presses and decline bench layers for my pressing workouts… Push pressing stresses the triceps at the lockout REALLY well.

For my decline press, I do them with pins 3-4 inches off my chest, again stressing the triceps in the lockout -this also works REALLY well… Now biceps are more postural much like lats, so rather than trying to make them ‘stronger’ I just focus on getting a lot of volume in; not a single curl, just 30+ chin ups at the end of every session… The result?

Last time I measured I had another inch on my arms, and I want to add another 1/2 before I measure again in January… I don’t know if this helps much, but just think about what movements stress the lagging muscles, and whether they respond to performance or fatigue, and incorporate in your training.

And with the fast twitch dominant nature of chest and quads, make sure your programming has sufficient attention to strength and power production (ie performance).

[quote]jbalplayr02 wrote:
Hey CT,

Quick question for you and anyone else who would like to chime in. I have noticed over the past year that anything on the “front” of my body (chest, quads, biceps, shoulders) seem to respond much slower in terms of size and strength than do parts on my “back” (hams, lats, triceps for sure, calves).

Have you noticed this with any of your athletes? In sticking with your training philosophy, I want to fix this problem, if it indeed is one. Higher frequency for the front body parts? Thank you![/quote]

When I train athletes my goal is not to turn them into bodybuilders and make sure that all body parts look great, my job is to make them better athletes. That having been said, YES my ATHLETES are more developed in the back of their body because the muscles that make a great athlete are there (glutes, hams, back, traps).

As for my regular clients (non-competitive athletes) the only issue I’ve encountered from time to time that needed some adjustments in the program was lack of biceps growth. I never had any trouble with chest or shoulders growth.

That having been said… you mention “my training philosophy”… the thing is that I do not have ONE universal approach. I have many different training approaches that I tailor for each of my clients. Just because you came into my forum in the midst of the popularity of the layer system doesn’t mean that it’s the only way I train people.

Thank you CT and everyone else. By “training philosophy”, I just meant the fact that you are a problem solver. You identify a problem and look to figure out a way to correct it. That’s all. Maybe poor choice of words on my part.