Indiana Jones and the Crystal Skull

The Sixth Sense is like every other M. Knight movie… horrendously over rated.

The plot twist at the end is cool, I guess, but that doesn’t make up for a movie with a flimsy plot, little direction, and unrelatable characters.

/rant

I just got back from seeing it. I’m glad I didn’t click on this thread beforehand though. Sounds like someone broke the spoiler code on this one.

Anyway, I thought it was fun. For those that said it was over the top, of course it was. It’s supposed to be. That’s what makes summer movies like this fun and keeps you coming back every year.

I was a little disappointed in a few things, but it didn’t stop me from enjoying it.

I’ll refrain from any specifics in the interest of keeping this spoiler free.

WB props on the Av this week I love that movie

I thought it was ok. I liked the Last Crusade better.

It did feel like a really long movie to me though. The pacing was a bit weird, not that I’m a movie buff or anything, but it felt a bit drawn out.

That scene with the *** was pretty freaky, quite a few people in the cinema were squirming at that one.

I’m hearing mixed opinions, so the question is…Is it worth spending the rest of my paycheck to see in the theatre or would i be better off renting it at home? Neither of my roommates are keen on seeing it but I own all three of the Indiana Jones movies.

[quote]Professor X wrote:
“Over the top” shouldn’t even be used to describe any one of the movies in that series since they all are.[/quote]

I haven’t seen it yet, maybe tonight, but there’s a difference between a movie being over the top and “in the matrix.”

Take Die Hard for instance. The first one was over the top. The stupid last one was right out of the matrix.

Did you see it and if you did, did you buy McClain jumping off a bridge, onto the back of an F-16, onto the ground and walking away like nothing extraordinary just happened. Maybe Neo could have pulled it off, but McClain?

The first movie he was frightened to jump off a building he was teathered to. This one, he was fearless and indestructable.

One thing’s over the top, another thing is breaking the laws of physics, which is happening in a lot of the CGI crazy movies.

What’s your take on this?

I hope Crystal Skull is not like that.

[quote]Gkhan wrote:
Professor X wrote:
“Over the top” shouldn’t even be used to describe any one of the movies in that series since they all are.

I haven’t seen it yet, maybe tonight, but there’s a difference between a movie being over the top and “in the matrix.”

Take Die Hard for instance. The first one was over the top. The stupid last one was right out of the matrix.

Did you see it and if you did, did you buy McClain jumping off a bridge, onto the back of an F-16, onto the ground and walking away like nothing extraordinary just happened. Maybe Neo could have pulled it off, but McClain?

The first movie he was frightened to jump off a building he was teathered to. This one, he was fearless and indestructable.

One thing’s over the top, another thing is breaking the laws of physics, which is happening in a lot of the CGI crazy movies.

What’s your take on this?

I hope Crystal Skull is not like that.[/quote]

LOL!

Yeah, I believe that’s called “jumping the shark”. It’s the point in any series where they fuck over the characters and throw in bizarre shit just to get ratings. It’s the new baby on a failing sitcom. It’s replacing Fox Mulder with the Terminator on X-Files. It’s destroying any semblance to the original story line in X-Men 3 and playing 52 card pick up with the characters. It’s Jar Jar Binks in Star Wars and Topher Grace as Venom.

However, Inidiana Jones was always meant to be taken lightly. I think we gave him way more credit when we were kids because maybe we actually believed you could do things like…knock out three bad guys with one punch…or carry a whip that not only STICKS to whatever you crack it at but somehow ends up right back on your waist whether you pull it down or not.

I don’t think it falls into the same category even if Elvis Presley makes an appearance in this one.

What was wrong with Die Hard?

The point of Die Hard - To watch Bruce Willis be a bad ass.

The point of Indiana Jones - To watch Harrison be a bad ass in super-natural situations in dungeon like tombs.

If I want a deep plot or a believable premise, I wouldn’t even consider Indy of McClane.

Nothing. Die Hard I is imo the coolest movie out there. The last one just pushed my threshold of believability when he surfed on an F-16.

I mean, come on, do you think a human being would be able to do that?

What makes these movies great imo is that these characters are supposed to be REAL people who CAN die and watching them defy great odds makes the movie more exciting.

McClane, Indy are men, not supermen.

Die Hard 4 was on the level of a Roadrunner cartoon.

I thought Crystal Skull was mediocre. Without getting into what I did not like, I’ll mention what I thought after seeing it; They remembered intellectually how to do an Indiana Jones movie, but to much time had passed and they lost the feelings and ‘touch’ with making an Indiana Jones movie. If that makes sense. As a fan I recommend seeing it, but it just ‘missed’ for me.

I heard that the whole beginning/middle was great, but the end’s a total letdown.

The story was decent but this movie was so over the top I nearly walked out of the theater.

Minor spoilers
Minor Spoilers

1. The magnet scene in the beginning was unforgivable for multiple reasons.
  2. The refrigerator/nulear explosion scene… someone should have clubbed Lucas over the head for that one.
  3. The swinging through the jungle scene was just ridiculous.
  4. The entire water fall scene was unnecessary and beyond far- fetched.

I hold true to my suspicion that Lucas was stoned out of his mind during the filming of this movie. It’s as if before every scene he tried to devise different ways to ruin it.

[quote]Shaved wrote:
The story was decent but this movie was so over the top I nearly walked out of the theater.

Minor spoilers
Minor Spoilers

1. The magnet scene in the beginning was unforgivable for multiple reasons.
  2. The refrigerator/nulear explosion scene… someone should have clubbed Lucas over the head for that one.
  3. The swinging through the jungle scene was just ridiculous.
  4. The entire water fall scene was unnecessary and beyond far- fetched.

I hold true to my suspicion that Lucas was stoned out of his mind during the filming of this movie. It’s as if before every scene he tried to devise different ways to ruin it.[/quote]
I just saw it and no Lucas was not stoned out of his mind, its just he now has way way way more money than creativity…

Damn and I was hoping to be wrong about this one…

See it cuz your a fan, it will entertain you after all and thats why you go to the movies anyway…

To everyone: Just go see the movie. It’s only $9.50 or so. Watch the movie in A MOVIE THEATER and have fun.

Would you much rather spend your money on a Matthew McCaunehey movie?

The fridge scene was great! along with the ant scene. I thought shia lebouf did good too despite having a fruit cake name, and I agree the ending was an anti-climax.

“Knowledge was their treasure” give me a break, the previous scenes got me geared up for that?!

Saw it last night. It was okay, but nothing all that great. Had too much of a hokey feel to the whole movie more like Goonies and less like Indiana Jones.

[quote]WolBarret wrote:
To everyone: Just go see the movie. It’s only $9.50 or so. Watch the movie in A MOVIE THEATER and have fun.

Would you much rather spend your money on a Matthew McCaunehey movie?[/quote]

Like Reign of Fire?

[quote]Nate Dogg wrote:
Saw it last night. It was okay, but nothing all that great. Had too much of a hokey feel to the whole movie more like Goonies and less like Indiana Jones.[/quote]

yeah like Indiana Jones II?