T Nation

Incredible Edible Egg

A discussion of eggs, moved from the pork thread.

Eggs provide awesome protein as we all know, excellent mineral support and joint support too, if we let them.

Just a discussion of eggs here. Recipes, knowledge, useful tips for preparation/consumption et cetera. I will try not to post links to other sites selling supplements so forgive any possible rinky dink websites but if interested, do your own searching.


Egg Protein:

The “Gold Standard” for protein quality.

http://www.incredibleegg.org/health-and-nutrition/proteinweight-management

Mineral Support:

Amazing, natural, bioavailable source of many important trace minerals if you eat the shell. Consider risks and wash with soap first, or boil and grind to a powder (any insight on leaching would be helpful)

Composition of egg shell is;

Water, % 29-35
Protein, % 1.4-4
Crude Fat, % 0.10-0.20
Ash, % 89.9-91.1
Calcium, % 35.1-36.4
CaCO3, % of total Ca 90.9
Phosphorus, % 0.12
Sodium, % 0.15-0.17
Magnesium, % 0.37-0.40
Potassium, % 0.10-0.13
Sulphur, % 0.09-0.19
Alanine, % 0.45
Arginine, % 0.56-0.57
Aspartic Acid, % 0.83-0.87
Cystine, % 0.37-0.41
Glutamic Acid, % 1.22-1.26
Glycine, % 0.48-0.51
Histidine, % 0.25-0.30
Isoleucine, % 0.34
Leucine, % 0.57
Lysine, % 0.37
Methionine, % 0.28-0.29
Phenylalanine, % 0.38-0.46
Proline, % 0.54-0.62
Serine, % 0.64-0.65
Threonine, % 0.45-0.47
Tyrosine, % 0.25-0.26
Valine, % 0.54-0.55
Get more results from http://www.serve.com/BatonRouge/nutritioâ?¦

Natural Joint Support Formula:

Including hyaluronic acid, chondroiten,collagen and other protiens important for joint and connective tissue health

http://ps.fass.org/content/82/3/510.full.pdf

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2697588/

Don’t waste those shells, boys. Wash them though, chickens are nasty animals. And of course blend or crush them up.

Scramble them with chopped jalapenos, onions and tomatoes, top with sliced avacado, cover with cheese and serve with charro beans and tortillas.

Nice coincidence; I just made this meal last night:

This shell thing is very interesting. How exactly are you washing them? I was always taught not to wash shells cause of the leaching thing.

And yeah, from personal experience, chickens are NASTY fuckers.

[quote]hastalles wrote:
This shell thing is very interesting. How exactly are you washing them? I was always taught not to wash shells cause of the leaching thing.

And yeah, from personal experience, chickens are NASTY fuckers.[/quote]
Soap and water. Boiling is my concern for leaching but if you know something else, share!

[quote]HoustonGuy wrote:
Scramble them with chopped jalapenos, onions and tomatoes, top with sliced avacado, cover with cheese and serve with charro beans and tortillas.[/quote]

W/ shells?

I remember throwing a whole egg, with shell, in my blender with other stuff and the texture was just awful… Ended up throwing it out.

20 eggs a day - never felt better

[quote]MAF14 wrote:

[quote]HoustonGuy wrote:
Scramble them with chopped jalapenos, onions and tomatoes, top with sliced avacado, cover with cheese and serve with charro beans and tortillas.[/quote]

W/ shells?

I remember throwing a whole egg, with shell, in my blender with other stuff and the texture was just awful… Ended up throwing it out.[/quote]
With shells. Grind 'em up and they will be all right. You use the butt of a fork and a bowl or something for a home made mortar and pestel. The texture in a shake does take some getting used to. FWIW, the better the blender, the better the grind.

[quote]caveman101 wrote:
20 eggs a day - never felt better[/quote]

20 eggs a day everyday? How do you have them?

tweet

I like eggs, but eating the shell seems a bit much.

I’ll just keep pushing a dozen into my face a day until something bad happens.

[quote]sexyxe wrote:
I like eggs, but eating the shell seems a bit much.

I’ll just keep pushing a dozen into my face a day until something bad happens. [/quote]
At least scoop the membrane coating the inside of the shell, it contains the joint supporting components.

I think I rather just take the supplement version of the eff membrane for joints.

However – I try to NOT cook the yolk as it seems to absorb and have a better nutrient profile while liquid.

Raw yolks are thrown into my blended shakes daily opposed to the common “natty PB” which IMO is a terrible source of fats etc…

-Matt

I asked this in another egg thread - Do raw eggs have the same calorie count as cooked eggs?

[quote]sexyxe wrote:
I asked this in another egg thread - Do raw eggs have the same calorie count as cooked eggs? [/quote]

Cooking yolks can destroy some of the health benefits. Uncooked whites have less bioavailable protein.

Solution = Sunny side up

[quote]MattPorter wrote:
[/quote]

Off topic… Are you really Matt Porter?

What do you guys think about fertile eggs? More nutritious or not? Why? My research has been inconclusive…

[quote]HoustonGuy wrote:

[quote]sexyxe wrote:
I like eggs, but eating the shell seems a bit much.

I’ll just keep pushing a dozen into my face a day until something bad happens. [/quote]
At least scoop the membrane coating the inside of the shell, it contains the joint supporting components.[/quote]

Oh man, and all this time I’ve been throwing out free chondroitin? Great thread, thanks.

[quote]delta9 wrote:
What do you guys think about fertile eggs? More nutritious or not? Why? My research has been inconclusive…[/quote]

Fertile eggs are going to be more nutritious than unfertile eggs–from the same chicken.

However, the only fertile eggs that I’ve seen available (Whole Foods brand) had pale yolks and so I decided to stick with my regular brand.

Generally though, yes, it is a desirable feature.

[quote]Proud_Virgin wrote:

[quote]delta9 wrote:
What do you guys think about fertile eggs? More nutritious or not? Why? My research has been inconclusive…[/quote]

Fertile eggs are going to be more nutritious than unfertile eggs–from the same chicken.

However, the only fertile eggs that I’ve seen available (Whole Foods brand) had pale yolks and so I decided to stick with my regular brand.

Generally though, yes, it is a desirable feature.[/quote]

Speaking of yolk color, I just want to plug free range, organic, whatever it’s called now chickens. My family raises chickens and their egg yolks are freakin bright orange. It’s awesome.

^What do you feed them?