T Nation

Increasing weight

I need some help on when to increase weight etc…I’m doing an 8 rep program now for about a month. Ok, i want to know if i’m right or wrong on this, so please let me know. Lets just say for the barbell curls, i do 2 sets of 8 reps. I use a weight to get the 8 reps, and the next set use the same weight and get another 8 reps. So lets say i’m using 65 lbs. and i get 8 reps on the first set, on the second i get 5. Do i keep on using that weight in the next workouts until i get the 2 sets of 8, then increase? It’s a little confusing to me cause i read some info other places saying you have to get 12 reps first or something like that, please anyone help out. Thanks.

What the hell are you talking about, please describe your whole program and its rationale, it sound similar to a 5 by 5 program. But in most cases if your first work set and second use the same weight, and you perform several less reps, it could mean alot of things, inadequate rest time, poor muscle fiber recovery, overtraining, etc. You know I really hate being such a gym nazi but you people really should ready the ENTIRE amount of back issues on this site before asking a idiotic question.

i would stay at that weight until you reach the same amount of reps, then bump it up.

Greg: There’s a variety of methods to increase weight and adjust reps. For instance, and put very simply, let’s say you’re performing a given exercise with two work sets – you’d better be doing at leat one warm-up set, but don’t ask me what that is or I’ll have to flog you :slight_smile: – and a target goal of eight reps in each set. First, you can choose to bump the weight up by small increments and try for all of the target reps each time you perform the exercise. If you make all eight reps in each set (you should make it in all but the last set or the weight is too high), you increase the weight by a small amount; if you don’t, don’t. Referred to as “single progression”, this is a method popularized (not originated) by a guy named Stuart McRoberts. Second, you can raise the weight by a larger amount (for a newbie, say 5 lbs. for bench press or squat) and try for a lesser number of reps in each set, say five at first, and then six in each set next time you perform the exercise, and so on until you make eight reps in each set (and then again increasing the weight by 5 lbs.) This is referred to as “double progression”, i.e., increasing both the weight and the reps in planned, incremental amounts. Third, you can increase the weight by a planned amount but drop the number of target reps in each set each time you perform that particular exercise, say increasing by 5 lbs. each time but going from 2X8 to 2X7 to 2X6, etc (or whatever, you get the point). This is commonly known as “periodization”, and is a favored technique among powerlifters. Fourth, well, the possibilities are infinite (see, for another example, Charles Polinquin’s article “The Five Percent Solution” in T-mag issue #12). It’s up to you to learn the various methods and to choose the one you like best and that provides you with the best results. (Experience is the key here, so don’t get frustrated if you don’t find your optimum method right away.)

If its such an idiotic question then don’t bother answering it, just ignore my post moron. I don’t need your ignorance.

I think you just need to look at one thing. “If you dont improve dont show up” Like Charlie Francis said. If you stay at that wieight, next time you better add some reps or a rep. If you Increase the weight a little you better equal last times reps. If you cant, you probably need longer time to recover, or it may be tiem to switch programs.