T Nation

Increasing Waistline - How?

Hi there,

I started out lifting about 6 months ago and made decent muscle gain.
Before I started lifting I was skinny like hell… Now my bodyfat is still quite low.

But my problem is this:
My waistline seems to be too small - there is some sort of a “X” shape in my upper body. My hip is broad, then going upwards it decreases… at the height of my belly button it is quite small…
upwards of this point I’m happy - my back is quite broad…

But how can I get my waistline bigger?
I want to achieve the “V” Shape…

What do you think of training the lateral abs?

This is kinda funny:

“Guys, I wanna get huge, but my arms look like some anaconda that just ate a pig.
There’s these bulges all around and when I flex, the biceps measures 20 inches.
I really want to look huge. Please help!”

That is the V-Shape. Small waiste, wide upper back. If you’re going for more abdominal fat, that is very bad.

I think I know what you are talking about. You sound like an extreme ectomorph. Kind of the anorexic look where your waist is actually narrower than your hips when viewed from the front and your hip bones stick out. I suggest eating like no tomorrow. Post some pictures.

Do you mean you have some kind of hourglass shape like a woman? That’s the only thing I could think of from your description.

Perhaps he is talking about the upside down V.

Switch to the all pork fat and white bread diet.
www.backwoodshome.com/articles2/gabris79.html
And stop all that working out stuff. That’ll fix that small waist problem you’ve got.

-folly

[quote]PGJ wrote:
I think I know what you are talking about. You sound like an extreme ectomorph. Kind of the anorexic look where your waist is actually narrower than your hips when viewed from the front and your hip bones stick out. I suggest eating like no tomorrow. Post some pictures. [/quote]

Agreed. My guess is he is still very skinny and he is overanalyzing small details when he needs to be focused on building more overall muscle mass.

He’s saying he has wide hips that come out at the waistline and go inwards upwards towards the bellybutton, like a skinny lil kid. The more you eat and grow, the problem should solve itself.

[quote]summon wrote:

But how can I get my waistline bigger?
I want to achieve the “V” Shape…

Start Deadlifting!!! This thickened up my waiste. Also Heavy Squats. GOOD LUCK!!

jesus christ! if your squatting and deadlifting dont even worry about it… . your core muscles will grow if they need to… . and if they dont just count your blessings and keep adding muscle else where. …

shit. …

I think you’re probably like me a bit. My hips stick out forwards more than my stomach and my waist is very thin compared to my hips. I was concerned about this for a while and even posted to ask how I should be losing weight.

Then i took a pic of myself and realsied what i saw in the mirror was very different to what i really liked like and that in fact my waist was small coz i was downright skinny - this was compounded when I went to buy clothes and found that half of the small size was too big!

I think you just gotta focus on eating plenty of good stuff and big compound lifts and you’ll fill out naturally - or at least Im hoping this is what will; happen to me

[quote]summon wrote:
Hi there,

I started out lifting about 6 months ago and made decent muscle gain.
Before I started lifting I was skinny like hell… Now my bodyfat is still quite low.

But my problem is this:
My waistline seems to be too small - there is some sort of a “X” shape in my upper body. My hip is broad, then going upwards it decreases… at the height of my belly button it is quite small…
upwards of this point I’m happy - my back is quite broad…

But how can I get my waistline bigger?
I want to achieve the “V” Shape…

What do you think of training the lateral abs?[/quote]

I don’t know why you guys find this hard to understand, lol. He basically has the shape of a women - hips wider then waist.

I know what you mean, I was somewhat like this when I was young. I think lots of kids are to so don’t worry.

Like previous posters have said things like Squats, Deads, and overhead pressing(standing) should thinken your core nicely.

[quote]jsbrook wrote:
Do you mean you have some kind of hourglass shape like a woman? That’s the only thing I could think of from your description.[/quote]

Yes, that’s what I’m talking about…

Thank you for your advice.
I will focus on more core exercises…
what do you recommend besides Squat, Deadlift and overhead presses?

[quote]summon wrote:

what do you recommend besides Squat, Deadlift and overhead presses?

[/quote]

A fork and several full plates of food all day long.

[quote]summon wrote:
jsbrook wrote:
Do you mean you have some kind of hourglass shape like a woman? That’s the only thing I could think of from your description.

Yes, that’s what I’m talking about…

Thank you for your advice.
I will focus on more core exercises…
what do you recommend besides Squat, Deadlift and overhead presses?

[/quote]

Woodchops.

Goodmornings & hyperextensions.