Increasing VO2 MAX

Hey guys, Im currently working towards increasing my vo2 max, and was wondering what are some of the most effective ways of doing so.

thanks.

Increasing your duration and/or intensity of cardio.

Perform LSD and HIIT.

Sprint everywhere you go.

One of my SCUBA instructors used to be an amazing free diver. Ultimately, what makes you a good free diver is how well your body uses your oxygen (similar to having a high V02 max, no?)

Anyway, he used to hyperventilate, then run sprints while holding his breath to get his body used to working with a lack of oxygen. Die. Repeat.

Worth a shot?

Sprints.

ok thanks

A few weeks ago i was at a strength and conditioning seminar in northern ireland and one of the lecturers was Dr Jan Hoff, this guy has worked with some of the top european soccer teams and quite a few other top sports teams.

Anyways, he did a study based around increasing VO2 max trying different intervals times etc. and basically what he found was that the most effective interval strategy was 4x4min sprints keeping your heart rate between 90-95% and keeping at around 70% of your max heart rate in between the 4 minute sprints for about a minute if i remember correctly.

His results were pretty impressive. VO2 max increased dramatically in a lot of his players only doing these intervals twice a week.

I don’t think I could sprint for four minutes straight. Run? Probably. But straight up sprint? I’m dead by the half minute mark.

Does he mean really truly sprint or just running?

Just anything to keep your heart rate up in the 90-95% mark, so for instance with some of his soccer players he had them doing ball drills for 4 minutes, the running + moving in different directions and concentration on ball control kept their heart rate up or he ran them on an incline treadmill so altho they werent sprinting it was still tough going.

[quote]Beowolf wrote:
I don’t think I could sprint for four minutes straight. Run? Probably. But straight up sprint? I’m dead by the half minute mark.

Does he mean really truly sprint or just running?[/quote]

90-95% of your max heart rate would correlate to 90-95% of your VO2max.

To get a rough estimate of your work rate VO2max, just do a treadmill warmup for about 10 minutes, then (wearing a HR monitor) find a comfortable running pace and increase the incline by 2% every minute.

Take note at which “stage” (speed and incline) at which you reach 70% of your predicted/theoretical max heart rate ((220-your age) x 0.7). This will be your future “rest pace”.

The last stage you complete successfully (and where you should have reached your theoretical HRmax) is pretty much your treadmill work rate at VO2max.

Run your 4 minute intervals at one stage below this work rate and you should be at about 90-95%.

Run your 1 minute “rest” intervals at the work rate where you previously reached 70% of your HRmax.

Make sense?

ElbowStrike