Increasing the Squat

Hi all
I have been training for 4 years .I have a swimming background.I started with starting strength ,then 5/3/1 ,westside and recently did eric cresseys neanderthal no more for my posture.my lifts are 460 dl ,220-240 bench,297 sq.My mobility and flexibility is pretty well thanks to Eric Cressey and kelly starrett.But no matter what I do I can’t increase my squat.After 220 the weight feels extremely heavy.

Recently I started doing high bar squats didnt make any differance.Increased my front squat to 240 lb x1 but it did nothing for my squat.training my abs frequently with planks ,ab wheel, renegade rows ect.Included single leg work like bulgarian split sq , lunges, barbell step ups.again no improvement.I think im quad dominant.By the way at deadlift 440 is easy and I dont even do deadlifts.The upper tendons of my adductors hurts like its always sore when foam rolling ,this maybe the issue.I need advice .
Im 6.189 lb ( i lost 15 lb cuz i started eating better and stopped drinking.)age 23.
I Really need your imput thanks.

My first question would be why have you rotated through so many training philosophies in such a short period of time?

Are you ready to commit to one? I think that would address your biggest problem.

Other than that, hands-on technique coaching from somebody good is going to be your best bet.

Dude what’s your real weight? If you’re actually 6.189 lbs, you’re doing just fine.

im 6 feet .189 lbs.I did 3x5 for 4-5 months and my progress stalled.After that wendler for 7 months but in 5/3/1 my posture and my imbalances got worse.After that eric cresseys program corrected my posture.Then westside ,it helps correcting my imbalances.
In my country we cant find good coaches maybe i can post a squat video here?

video of your squat please. Your doing something pretty inefficient it sounds like. Please a front and side view with the camera at right about waste high.

[quote]marco1111 wrote:
im 6 feet .189 lbs.I did 3x5 for 4-5 months and my progress stalled.After that wendler for 7 months but in 5/3/1 my posture and my imbalances got worse.After that eric cresseys program corrected my posture.Then westside ,it helps correcting my imbalances.
In my country we cant find good coaches maybe i can post a squat video here?[/quote]

That’s always a great option. I’m no expert in terms of squat form, but I can tell you that I’ve been in a similar situation and have responded great to higher-frequency programming. It could be that doing 5/3/1 and Westside simply wasn’t enough squat frequency for you in a week, even if you trained the squat with a higher volume on that one squat day.

I’d recommend doing a squat variation at least twice per week, although most higher-frequency options begin with three times per week.

What do you suggest ? 3x5 increases weights too fast for me .Weights get too high for me in few months.Should i try smolov? But there is no upper body training.

[quote]marco1111 wrote:
What do you suggest ? 3x5 increases weights too fast for me .Weights get too high for me in few months.Should i try smolov? But there is no upper body training.[/quote]

Um.

You could do 3x5 twice a week and increase by 2.5 or 5 lbs each time instead of Rippetoe’s version.

Or a whole bunch of other options.

[quote]marco1111 wrote:
What do you suggest ? 3x5 increases weights too fast for me .Weights get too high for me in few months.Should i try smolov? But there is no upper body training.[/quote]

Could be that you don’t respond well to linear periodization any more. You might want to look into longer-term programs, as outlined, for example, in Tuchscherer’s Reactive Training Systems. Or you could try a peaking program using a conservative training max (maybe 90% of 1RM), such as the six-week Russian squat program, which has you squatting three times per week.

Dude something that was simple that worked for me was focus on reps and gaining weight/size.

I waved through sets of 10, 8, 6, 4, 2, and 1 for 3 weeks each, starting my waves with more sets and gradually did less and less in a mini peak cycle and my squat went from 285 - 350. You just make it your goal to hit 10 lb PRs each week no matter what wave you are in. I would’ve squatted more but I back injury I got at work shot me in the foot.

And do high rep Deadlifts as well as upper back work twice a week to avoid that from it becoming a week point.

Also following the same idea; doing high rep pause squats didn’t hurt my progress that’s for sure. Just started at a 20 rep max and added 10 lbs and reps to the bar each week.

I personally didn’t do much hammy work during this program but I’m sure it will only help.

But I can’t say enough use reps. Remember you’re not moving much weight and your lacking in size so the reps will help build you a base and the more muscle you have it will only help you. Also remember, it’ll be more reps and lighter weights to help build and en grain your technique. Just try to do what the Lilliebridges do and separate each rep like they are each a single. Set up each time like you just walked it out and locked it into perfect position so you get max carryover when you peak.

Also one thing that will make a huge difference in your squat will be eating. The day before a squat day eat something salty like a pizza or a thick cheeseburger with some ice cream. Get a good bloat, because even if your progress stalls on the program, your bodyweight going up will keep your strength moving up anyway. And the day you squat hit it hard and leave no question you gave everything. Get in a good preworkout meal, try stimulants lol take in good carbs and protein in during (I’m not going to whore plazma even though it’s my favorite lol for me I tried just gatorade and bcaas but the sugar spikes were just too hard on my diabetes. Plazma no such issue ) and each like you want to grow from your session. Remember the better you recover the faster you grow.

Sorry if i wrote a book, but this one got away from me because squatting was a difficulty of mine too for years…

Hope this helps…rant over…

^^^ word haha

i was gonna put in my two sense but it would be a disservice to that awesome response

how to increase squat - squat more often, squat more reps, eat more often, eat more reps, squat heavier, eat heavier

Thanks for your replies.Squatting more often is a good idea but I ’ m currently following a westside template.Should I start a different program which has more squatting or I can add rep squat days instead of dynamic work .I did wendler for 7 cycles but that wasn’ t enough reps I guess.Maybe I can start smolov jr. .
I’m currently working on my form .I will shoot a video with my new wl shoes.I don’t have a butt wink at the bottom.
Thanks

If your going to follow Westside Id def go with some rep days instead of speed work unless you know for sure how to actually do a speed set. Volume pushes PRs in my opinion and with out rep days I stagnate quickly.

Agreed!

[quote]marco1111 wrote:
Thanks for your replies.Squatting more often is a good idea but I ’ m currently following a westside template.Should I start a different program which has more squatting or I can add rep squat days instead of dynamic work .I did wendler for 7 cycles but that wasn’ t enough reps I guess.Maybe I can start smolov jr. .
I’m currently working on my form .I will shoot a video with my new wl shoes.I don’t have a butt wink at the bottom.
Thanks[/quote]

I much prefer using moderate intensities with Prelipen’s table with the main lifts for DE day than using Westside style speed work.

ME + RE is a great way to train

Actually I have always done repetition instead of dynamic days.Last 2 months I have done bulgarian split squats ,overhead lunges , glute bridges , and heavy ab work ( like Eric Cressey recommends :planks ,ab wheel, woodchops …).But Im not using squats in repetition days because my adductor magnus gets very sore after squating for reps.Im trying to get my glutes working in squats instead of the adductors.
Maybe my squat hasn’t increased much because I have lost like 15 lbs ( Im started eating clean and cycling carbs ).

I would say dont go crazy over thinking it. I did 5x5 to get to 450ish. After that i stuck with 5x5 and just did 2 steps forward and one back and it took me to 525.
So it would look like this :
Week 1, what ever you start with
Week 2 plus 10
Week 3 plus 20
Week 4 back to week 2
Week 5 back to week 3
Week 6 plus 10 on week 5
And so on

When I do high rep work in squat I get heavy doms in my adductor magnus.The adductor area gets really sore.Do you think its a problem ?The question is:my adductor magnus is over developed and doing all the work by itself or its really weak.I think its overdeveloped and my glutes are not firing.I m doing glute activation work everyday ,foam rolling etc.I did 20 mins each adductor magnus yesterday with lacrosse ball .Didn’ t seem to work.
Need advice about this.thanks

My .02 the 5-3-1 program allows a lot of flexibility in your assistance lifts. Hit the squats as part of your assistance lifts in addition to the 5 3 1 lift.