Increasing Strength at Lower Weight/BF

[quote]eic wrote:
Pemdas wrote:
eic wrote:
Not sure that additional gains are going to come from CNS stimulation. It seems to me that CNS stimulation occurs first, with hypertrophy thereafter.

Take, for example, the raw beginner in an EFS system. He can probably use the same ME exercises for 3 weeks in a row before rotating and will see rapid gains in strength. That is because he has a relatively inefficient CNS. While his bench, dead, and squat will increase drastically and quickly, the same will probably not be true for his or her bodyweight (absent some repetition work).

After some time, the lifter’s CNS is becoming more and more efficient to the point that additional gains via CNS stimulation will be more or less nonexistent. This is your intermediate or advanced trainee. At that point, I think additional adaptation will have to result from hypertrophy via increased density of the fibers. It may not add up to much on the scale, perhaps a few pounds a year, but overtime the athlete will be strong and dense as hell. That is what you see with oly weightlifters and powerlifters (at lower weight classes).

My point is that a lifter who has gotten himself to 225 lbs. and 5% body fat may have already gotten well beyond the stage of CNS adaptation. If so, then additional gains will, unfortunately, require a little additional muscle. This is perhaps another reason why oly lifters are selective with the muscle groups they exercise. Not only does the bench press not enhance technique on the classic lifts, but they need those pounds their legs and posterior chain not their chests.

This is wrong. How is that so many powerlifter increase their total by 100s of lbs without moving up a weight class. Strength training is pretty much 100% CNS training. The fact that you get bigger is just a side affect.

The reason beginners can get away with 3-4 week with the same max effort movement is largely a matter of coordination and the fact that their CNS is so underdeveloped that they are not actually utilizing it enough to completely fatigue it. In other words, it take that long to for it adapt. More experienced lifter have learned to utilized their CNS to the point that it becomes fatigued after just one session. That doesn’t mean they have reached their peak. It just mean that they need more variation to continually stimulate it without burning out.

I’m not sure we’re saying different things. I didn’t say that CNS gains would stop, only that they slow down. Thereafter, a larger proportion of poundage increases (on the bar) is due to increases in contractile proteins in the lifter. And to be clear, we are not talking about tons of weight gain here. We are talking about very modest amounts.

For example, a beginner who increases his squat by 100 lbs. over X period is going to notice very little increased size as a result. An advanced lifter who increases his squat by 100 lbs. over X period will have relatively more size gains than the beginner. This is all I’m saying. I guess the take home point is that, for an advanced athlete, it is going to be very difficult to make significant gains in one’s lifting numbers without at least SOME bodyweight increases, however minor. [/quote]

Ok…I agree with this.

[quote]Pemdas wrote:
eic wrote:
Pemdas wrote:
eic wrote:
Not sure that additional gains are going to come from CNS stimulation. It seems to me that CNS stimulation occurs first, with hypertrophy thereafter.

Take, for example, the raw beginner in an EFS system. He can probably use the same ME exercises for 3 weeks in a row before rotating and will see rapid gains in strength. That is because he has a relatively inefficient CNS. While his bench, dead, and squat will increase drastically and quickly, the same will probably not be true for his or her bodyweight (absent some repetition work).

After some time, the lifter’s CNS is becoming more and more efficient to the point that additional gains via CNS stimulation will be more or less nonexistent. This is your intermediate or advanced trainee. At that point, I think additional adaptation will have to result from hypertrophy via increased density of the fibers. It may not add up to much on the scale, perhaps a few pounds a year, but overtime the athlete will be strong and dense as hell. That is what you see with oly weightlifters and powerlifters (at lower weight classes).

My point is that a lifter who has gotten himself to 225 lbs. and 5% body fat may have already gotten well beyond the stage of CNS adaptation. If so, then additional gains will, unfortunately, require a little additional muscle. This is perhaps another reason why oly lifters are selective with the muscle groups they exercise. Not only does the bench press not enhance technique on the classic lifts, but they need those pounds their legs and posterior chain not their chests.

This is wrong. How is that so many powerlifter increase their total by 100s of lbs without moving up a weight class. Strength training is pretty much 100% CNS training. The fact that you get bigger is just a side affect.

The reason beginners can get away with 3-4 week with the same max effort movement is largely a matter of coordination and the fact that their CNS is so underdeveloped that they are not actually utilizing it enough to completely fatigue it. In other words, it take that long to for it adapt. More experienced lifter have learned to utilized their CNS to the point that it becomes fatigued after just one session. That doesn’t mean they have reached their peak. It just mean that they need more variation to continually stimulate it without burning out.

I’m not sure we’re saying different things. I didn’t say that CNS gains would stop, only that they slow down. Thereafter, a larger proportion of poundage increases (on the bar) is due to increases in contractile proteins in the lifter. And to be clear, we are not talking about tons of weight gain here. We are talking about very modest amounts.

For example, a beginner who increases his squat by 100 lbs. over X period is going to notice very little increased size as a result. An advanced lifter who increases his squat by 100 lbs. over X period will have relatively more size gains than the beginner. This is all I’m saying. I guess the take home point is that, for an advanced athlete, it is going to be very difficult to make significant gains in one’s lifting numbers without at least SOME bodyweight increases, however minor.

Ok…I agree with this.

[/quote]

My cns gains were done about 25 years ago, hahaha! Since then strength went up as weight went up. Solid weight of course. I’m hoping in a week or so to hit a triple bodyweight deadlift for the first time in years. 600 at 200 is a lot more impressive to me than 450 at 150, or 148 to be picky.

ok i have another question.

what if you get at 105kgs (the class im interested in) at say 8% body fat which should be the least(and supposing that my strength levels dont reduce at such a low body fat %).

then how do you eat? what if you gain fat+muscle? if supposing that 105kgs at 8% body fat is the ideal weight/fat ratio for maximum strength what do you do then if you gain weight? starve yourself so you lose muscle and fat?

I think you are worrying about this too much. Lifters fluctuate weight all the time. Most "competitive lifters’ are above their weight class all the time and cut weight right before a meet. Also, don’t get stuck on this 8% thing. It is going to be different for everyone. I am weak as shit at 8% I need to ride at 12-15 to feel strong.

[quote]lordstorm88 wrote:

what if you get at 105kgs (the class im interested in) at say 8% body fat which should be the least(and supposing that my strength levels dont reduce at such a low body fat %).

then how do you eat? what if you gain fat+muscle? if supposing that 105kgs at 8% body fat is the ideal weight/fat ratio for maximum strength what do you do then if you gain weight? starve yourself so you lose muscle and fat?[/quote]

I think that since you’re only deadlifting 170kg and squatting 120kg you need to stop worrying about it and just spend another year or two training more and see where your bodyweight lies after that. At 90kg and 5’10 my lifts were slowly going up, once I moved to 100kg they took a big jump. You’re body will tell you when it’s ready to go up. I wasn’t eating all that much and I was STILL gaining weight.

Besides, there’s no 105kg class in powerlifting anyway. It’s 100 and 110. Unless you’re talking about weightlifting?

yes its olympic lifting

and i know i need at least a year or 2 more, but the question came to me now so why not ask anyway… educating yourself is one of the best things you can do after all right?

btw 175kgs deadlift today :wink:

i know. i said supposing that 8% is the best one

for all i know i may be stronger with 10% at 105 kgs instead of 8% at 105(more muscle).

i dont know that now and i will find it out later. right now im just wondering what one would do if he found the ideal body fat % for a specific body weight to maximize strength. how he would eat if he gained weight in order to lose it again?

Well if you were 105 and suddenly you started gaining weight…obviously you started eating more at some point or you became a lazy ass and stopped lifting. The real question is why did you start eating more. The reality of it is 5-10lbs or 2.5-5kgs doesn’t matter. Its easy to shed that weight if you need to right before a meet. You don’t gain more than that by accident. I’d be hard press to say that you can even gain 7-10lbs by accident.

How do you lose weight…eat less.

There certainly isn’t a specific magic food plan that is going to guarantee you maintain exactly the same body fat % while shedding a few lbs if that’s what you are asking.

[quote]2274 wrote:
Hanley wrote:
undeadlift wrote:
Most people are “weak” at 5% BF. BF levels have to be higher to if you wanna get stronger.

Being 100kg and 5% is a completly different proposition than being 60kg and 5%. I wonder what Sam Byrd would have to say to that. Or Stoitsov http://www.T-Nation.com/forum_images/3/2/32d3a-legs.jpg .

I’d have to agree with undeadlift. I start getting weaker below 10% BF, which is quite high IMO. Most of my fellow lifters become weaker below 8%. The coaches in my gym also recommend 8%. They notice their athletes become lethargic once their BF levels go below 8%.[/quote]

I would agree with this. it really depnds on each person, but for me, when i drop below 10% bf my upper body strength goes thru the crapper. i like to be around 8% most of the time, but when im getting serious to lift something heavy, i need to eat up to around 10%, 12% would probably be where i am at my strongest, but i dont like getting up that high anymore… maybe one day after i accomplish my goals in the 198s.

[quote]Hanley wrote:
undeadlift wrote:
Most people are “weak” at 5% BF. BF levels have to be higher to if you wanna get stronger.

Being 100kg and 5% is a completly different proposition than being 60kg and 5%. I wonder what Sam Byrd would have to say to that. Or Stoitsov (http://www.T-Nation.com/forum_images/3/2/32d3a-legs.jpg).

[/quote]

Dude u get around everywhere dont u!? haha i found this post looking for stuff on beyleav.

[quote]Hanley wrote:
lordstorm88 wrote:

then how do you eat? what if you gain fat+muscle? if supposing that 105kgs at 8% body fat is the ideal weight/fat ratio for maximum strength what do you do then if you gain weight? starve yourself so you lose muscle and fat?

I think that since you’re only deadlifting 170kg and squatting 120kg you need to stop worrying about it and just spend another year or two training more and see where your bodyweight lies after that. At 90kg and 5’10 my lifts were slowly going up, once I moved to 100kg they took a big jump. You’re body will tell you when it’s ready to go up. I wasn’t eating all that much and I was STILL gaining weight.

Besides, there’s no 105kg class in powerlifting anyway. It’s 100 and 110. Unless you’re talking about weightlifting?
[/quote]

i know exactly what ur sayin man… my body has been telling me to be in the 220s for the last years and i keep fighting it. i am on the verge of giving in… but i want to go head to head with frankle and that russian freak again in Aug. 3 198ers over well over 2400 pound totals…

[quote]big_byrd52 wrote:
Hanley wrote:
undeadlift wrote:

Being 100kg and 5% is a completly different proposition than being 60kg and 5%. I wonder what Sam Byrd would have to say to that. Or Stoitsov (http://www.T-Nation.com/forum_images/3/2/32d3a-legs.jpg).

Dude u get around everywhere dont u!? haha i found this post looking for stuff on beyleav.[/quote]

Hahahahahahahhahahahaha no better man to give advice on this subject!!

What bodyfat % were you when you squatted a grand?? You couldn’t have been more than 10 or 12.

Oh and FTR… battling out with Belyaev (or however the hell you spell his frickin’ name) would be an awesome thing to see.

[quote]2274 wrote:
Hanley wrote:
undeadlift wrote:

Being 100kg and 5% is a completly different proposition than being 60kg and 5%. I wonder what Sam Byrd would have to say to that. Or Stoitsov http://www.T-Nation.com/forum_images/3/2/32d3a-legs.jpg .

I’d have to agree with undeadlift. I start getting weaker below 10% BF, which is quite high IMO. Most of my fellow lifters become weaker below 8%. The coaches in my gym also recommend 8%. They notice their athletes become lethargic once their BF levels go below 8%.[/quote]

Oh yeah, BTW, I’m no doctor like you (not yet at least), but I remember in biology class about nerve cells being dependent on fat for optimal function.

[quote]undeadlift wrote:
2274 wrote:
Hanley wrote:
undeadlift wrote:

I’d have to agree with undeadlift. I start getting weaker below 10% BF, which is quite high IMO. Most of my fellow lifters become weaker below 8%. The coaches in my gym also recommend 8%. They notice their athletes become lethargic once their BF levels go below 8%.

Oh yeah, BTW, I’m no doctor like you (not yet at least), but I remember in biology class about nerve cells being dependent on fat for optimal function.[/quote]

Yes. That’s true. I forgot to mention that. The amount of BF you have affects your CNS’ proficiency.

[quote]lordstorm88 wrote:
so then whats a good body fat % to have while maximizing strength at a certain weight? 8? 10?

also what about training? ve heard that 3 reps are best for strength (on the average lifter anyway), around 8 for hypertrophy etc etc[/quote]

12-15% most people drastically underestimate their bodyfat. 5% is most likely close to ten. Unless you’re getting a DEXA scan, all the other methods aren’t to accurate. They can be consistent to themselves, but they usually overestimate bodyfat.

I dont know what i was at. it was pretty low, i assume 7-8 by calipers? i never had it done so i dont know. here is a pic from 1 week before my BB show at 217, and 1 week before the IPA Pro at 230, where i squatted 1050 at 198… yea thaTS gotta be close to a cut record! haha

[quote]undeadlift wrote:

Oh yeah, BTW, I’m no doctor like you (not yet at least), but I remember in biology class about nerve cells being dependent on fat for optimal function.[/quote]

Lets get into this a little. i am very curious about this.

[quote]tom63 wrote:
12-15% most people drastically underestimate their bodyfat. 5% is most likely close to ten. Unless you’re getting a DEXA scan, all the other methods aren’t to accurate. They can be consistent to themselves, but they usually overestimate bodyfat.

[/quote]

Correct

[quote]big_byrd52 wrote:
where i squatted 1050 at 198… [/quote]

holy fuckin shit…

[quote]big_byrd52 wrote:
I dont know what i was at. it was pretty low, i assume 7-8 by calipers? i never had it done so i dont know. here is a pic from 1 week before my BB show at 217, and 1 week before the IPA Pro at 230, where i squatted 1050 at 198… yea thaTS gotta be close to a cut record! haha[/quote]

The scary thing is you don’t look that much less lean in the 230lb pic. Maybe just a little fuller…??

Was that a 24 or 48 hour weigh in by the way?? That’s a huge drop. It’s savage to have someone as high level as yourself chime in on this!