Increasing Speed, While Gaining Mass?

I don’t know if this would be the specialty of the site, but hell it never hurts to ask. I’ve been training only for a few months, and I’m happy that my arms are visibly larger, all though my chest isn’t quite as big it’s noticeably more defined (good bye man boobs).

Any ways I have started martial arts up again, and I’m worried that my muscle mass may slow me down. I don’t mind getting hit, but ugg I try to avoid it where I can.

So the simple question is: Are there any exercises that you all know of to keep the body fast while gaining? I know some of it has to do with reflex time but it all ways seemed that the smaller guys where a bit faster on their feet. Any advice?

Thanks,

You just need to do some speed work. As long as you get stronger, and keep the same mechanic ability, you should be faster.

It’s just like squatting to run faster. If you just do squats, and go from 300lb squat to 500 lb squat, you will be faster if you maintain the same ability to sprint. If you do a whole bunch of squats and never run, you will be slower.

It seems what you want is more reactive strength while gaining mass.

Definitely look into Inno-Sport style training.

Basically you want to do box jumps, depth jumps, hops, flying sprints, one legged jumps, squat jumps. Pick two or three and continue until performance starts to decrease. Follow it up with heavy 3-5 rep squats.

For more information, do a search for Kelly Baggett(layman) and Inno-Sport(very comprehensive).

I play basketball, which will be different from MA, but as I got bigger, I also got faster, and jumped higher.

[quote]kheaslim wrote:
I play basketball, which will be different from MA, but as I got bigger, I also got faster, and jumped higher.

[/quote]

same here. for me, bigger = stronger and faster, as i think it does for most. but do the reactive stuff too for even better results.