Increasing Reading Speed

does anyone have any techniques too increase the speed at which you read? Anything apart from read more will be greatly appreciated and considered.

Here’s a tip that I have employed for a long time.

Learn how to bring words into your mind without mentally speaking them. I’ve heard it termed as “burning or branding” words into the memory.

Imagine yourself copying images/words from your page directly into your mind as mental images, completely forgetting about the conversion process of mental speech.

Begin by quickly running your eyes over the line you are trying to read. Naturally your inclination will be to simply speak faster but you have to shut the mental voice down and concentrate on the words themselves not what you hear in your mind. Let the words flash in your mind one after another after another until the sentence, paragraph then page is completed.

This takes time and itâ??s a bit awkward, but when the technique is practiced frequently it really becomes second nature and speed naturally will result and so will the amount you comprehend.

I got these out of a book.

1. Read with a pen/finger tracing text as you read fast as possible.
  2. Start a line by starting from approx the 3rd word in and finish the line at approx the 3rd last word - this reduces eye movement. If you can manage to get good at this, try taking 2 snapshots of a line from the first and last word(I found this useless).
  3. Try reading too fast for comprehension for five pages prior to reading at a slower speed.

I’m a pretty fast reader and found with 2 & 3 I couldn’t absorb much, but 1 helps sometimes as my mind wanders often and I lose my line.

I find that most of the time when people read faster than I do they skim the page or just skip words and I find that to be annoying and boring when im reading.

I would rather walk in on my parents having sex then read a book.

Yeah i’ll try anything to increase my reading speed. It takes me about 30 minues to read 10 pages in a book. And in my bullshit lit/history classes this semester i’m spending a lot of time reading.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I’ve used EyeQ in the past, and it helps tremendously. I was able to read a 700 page HAZMAT book (very technical) in about 6-7 hours. I took a final quiz covering bits and pieces from each chapter and passed with a 95%. So while do you read (or skim) quite fast, your comprehension is still there. The problem is you have to keep using it for it to maintain it’s effectiveness.

[quote]TheChosenOne17 wrote:
I’ve used EyeQ in the past, and it helps tremendously. I was able to read a 700 page HAZMAT book (very technical) in about 6-7 hours. I took a final quiz covering bits and pieces from each chapter and passed with a 95%. So while do you read (or skim) quite fast, your comprehension is still there. The problem is you have to keep using it for it to maintain it’s effectiveness. [/quote]

Thanks for making me aware of this!

[quote]jahall wrote:
Yeah i’ll try anything to increase my reading speed. It takes me about 30 minues to read 10 pages in a book. And in my bullshit lit/history classes this semester i’m spending a lot of time reading.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.[/quote]

That’s really not a slow reading pace, if you’re reading something besides fiction for fun. Where people get this idea that they should be able to read 100 pages an hour is beyond me.

[quote]iSnack2.0 wrote:
does anyone have any techniques too increase the speed at which you read? Anything apart from read more will be greatly appreciated and considered.[/quote]

Take this for what it’s worth, because it’s just my experience, but in my years in school I have never seen a person who could read nonfiction material substantially faster than average, say 2-3 minutes per page, without a loss of comprehension. Basically any method of reading substantially faster, like the ones listed below, involve you not actually reading all of the text. These methods can be fine depending on what purpose you have in mind, but if you’re looking for an increase in speed without a loss of comprehension you probably won’t get that unless your reading skills in general are poor to begin with. In that case though, despite what you want to hear, “reading more” is the only advice.

That’s just my experience though.

[quote]stokedporcupine8 wrote:
iSnack2.0 wrote:
does anyone have any techniques too increase the speed at which you read? Anything apart from read more will be greatly appreciated and considered.

Take this for what it’s worth, because it’s just my experience, but in my years in school I have never seen a person who could read nonfiction material substantially faster than average, say 2-3 minutes per page, without a loss of comprehension. Basically any method of reading substantially faster, like the ones listed below, involve you not actually reading all of the text. These methods can be fine depending on what purpose you have in mind, but if you’re looking for an increase in speed without a loss of comprehension you probably won’t get that unless your reading skills in general are poor to begin with. In that case though, despite what you want to hear, “reading more” is the only advice.

That’s just my experience though.[/quote]

I’m reading fiction - that god damn dan browne book and whilst I wouldnt say I’m a slow reader it’s already taken up a bit of time and would like too finish it a bit quicker, I may try that pen idea.

[quote]iSnack2.0 wrote:
stokedporcupine8 wrote:
iSnack2.0 wrote:

That’s just my experience though.

I’m reading fiction - that god damn dan browne book and whilst I wouldnt say I’m a slow reader it’s already taken up a bit of time and would like too finish it a bit quicker, I may try that pen idea.[/quote]

Are you reading the Lost Symbol?

But back on topic, just enjoy the books the faster you finish a book, the quicker you need to buy a new one.

[quote]chimera182 wrote:
Are you reading the Lost Symbol?

But back on topic, just enjoy the books the faster you finish a book, the quicker you need to buy a new one.
[/quote]

yes, and I’m really enjoying it so far. I preferred angels and demons compared with the davinchi code and depending on the end of this book it could quite easily be my favourite dan browne book.

You have to get a legit computer program to be able to make a substantial change.