Increasing Push Press

My goal within the next few months is to hit a 1RM of 225 in the clean and push press. Right now, I can strict military press 180 for a single and my push press is a little over 200. My routine is pretty basic, but I’m wondering if I can get some pointers.

Monday:
Squat 4x5
Bench 5x5
Rows 5x5

Wednesday:
Clean and Push Press 5x3
Weighted Dips 3x8
Weighted Chinups 4x5
Highpulls 3x8

Friday:
Deadlifts 10x3
Military Press 3x5
Weighted Pullups 3x5
Heavy Tricep Exercise

[quote]BackInAction wrote:
My goal within the next few months is to hit a 1RM of 225 in the clean and push press. Right now, I can strict military press 180 for a single and my push press is a little over 200. My routine is pretty basic, but I’m wondering if I can get some pointers.

Monday:
Squat 4x5
Bench 5x5
Rows 5x5

Wednesday:
Clean and Push Press 5x3
Weighted Dips 3x8
Weighted Chinups 4x5
Highpulls 3x8

Friday:
Deadlifts 10x3
Military Press 3x5
Weighted Pullups 3x5
Heavy Tricep Exercise
[/quote]

i don’t really follow your training routine but specifically for push press strength- I wouldn’t train shoulders more than once a week. right now you have them trained twice. the clean is going to limit your push press weight.

I really like doing push presses but i do them in the power rack and start the lift from the shoulders. technique is very important. one of the most common mistakes is not using the legs enough or extending the legs and then pressing the weight. it has to be one continuous motion.

exercises to bring up your push press-

start the movement in the power rack from the shoulders without the clean

wherever your sticking point is when you fail- put the pins in the power rack at that point and do your presses from there.

presses into the rack- get a description from the exercises section at elitefts.com

elbows out dumbell extensions

technique improvements

meat

[quote]BackInAction wrote:

Monday:
Squat 4x5
Bench 5x5
Rows 5x5

Wednesday:
Clean and Push Press 5x3
Weighted Dips 3x8
Weighted Chinups 4x5
Highpulls 3x8

Friday:
Deadlifts 10x3
Military Press 3x5
Weighted Pullups 3x5
Heavy Tricep Exercise
[/quote]

How are you dead and squat numbers?

If they are way higher, its probably technique, if they’re closer to 225 its probably strength.

How is the bar speed? Maybe try speed work with 135 or so.

[quote]ExNole wrote:
How are you dead and squat numbers?

If they are way higher, its probably technique, if they’re closer to 225 its probably strength.

How is the bar speed? Maybe try speed work with 135 or so. [/quote]

Deadlift is around 420 and squat is around 310. Speed seems to be pretty solid. I don’t think I use enough leg drive as the previous poster said.

Does it have to be push press? I ask because, judging by your other lifts, you should be able to jerk 225. To successfully complete a heavy split jerk, the bar only needs to be pushed to about nose level. If you can get it that high, you should be driving your body down enough to lock that out.

You need to work on technique. My lower body numbers are similar to yours, I can only strict press about 140 but I push press close to 200.

BTW there was a thread over at Midwest Barbell where someone asked the same question and Glenn Pendlay posted a response. Do a search on their forums.

[quote]punyparker wrote:
Does it have to be push press? I ask because, judging by your other lifts, you should be able to jerk 225. To successfully complete a heavy split jerk, the bar only needs to be pushed to about nose level. If you can get it that high, you should be driving your body down enough to lock that out.[/quote]

I’ll give this a shot. In the past, my jerk form has been really ugly. It always turns into a push press. I should be able to get it to nose level though.

[quote]SlammaJamma wrote:
You need to work on technique. My lower body numbers are similar to yours, I can only strict press about 140 but I push press close to 200.[/quote]

That’s a really impressive push press number compared to MP! Technique must be a major issue for me.

[quote]SlammaJamma wrote:
BTW there was a thread over at Midwest Barbell where someone asked the same question and Glenn Pendlay posted a response. Do a search on their forums.[/quote]

I’ll definitely check that out, thanks!

your hitting 180 strict mil press. You can push press 225 prob more evne without an ounce of strength gain IMO. Its all at this point at that goal load technique. getting the lower body explosion and the dip under the bar. if you take time to practice that you’ll have it in no time.

No worries I suck ass at them ass well and need to practice technique. but in just ione session using lighter loads a few months back I was able to work on technique just enough bto get that quick explosion and enough duck to get 225 up.

If thats the goal now Id say work on that first then more strength you can then combine the two to put up some damn good #'s

Just my 2 cc
Oh and care for those shoulders. It was heavy ass push pressing finally getting above BW (250) that put me in rehab work for 6 weeks just getting back to any real pressing,

Phill