Increasing Pullups

it seems as if ive hit a stage where i cant increase anymore on pullups. Right now im 13 and at 36 pullups.

every night i go out to my pull up bar and do 3 sets of 15. i do plenty of lat. work also on the bench. ive seen plenty of improvement there as in looks and lifts. does anyone have any advice on how to increase my pull up numbers. im trying to get the school record of 46 by december.

Eat a lot. Also you probably shouldn’t be doing them every day.

try GTG training, by Pavel. search it here or go to dragondoor.com.

make sure you take a few days off now and then to give your body a chance to recover.

oh yea, and eat like a mofo (clean of course)

[quote]akwrestler wrote:
it seems as if ive hit a stage where i cant increase anymore on pullups. Right now im 13 and at 36 pullups.

every night i go out to my pull up bar and do 3 sets of 15. i do plenty of lat. work also on the bench. ive seen plenty of improvement there as in looks and lifts. does anyone have any advice on how to increase my pull up numbers. im trying to get the school record of 46 by december.[/quote]

Get a weighted dip belt and and start adding weight to your pullups. Spend a month just doing weighted pullups with a 25 pound plate or dumbell. Then go back to your pullups and you will be able to do much more. You will increase your grip strength as well as your pullup strength.

[quote]akwrestler wrote:

every night i go out to my pull up bar and do 3 sets of 15. i do plenty of lat. work also on the bench. ive seen plenty of improvement there as in looks and lifts. does anyone have any advice on how to increase my pull up numbers. im trying to get the school record of 46 by december.[/quote]

If you don’t have weights that you can use. I would suggest when you do yours sets of 15 do it with less rest between sets or instead of 15 do 20 and then sets of 20 with minimal rest between sets… so if you rest 2 min cut it to 1 min or 1 30 secs…if its 1 min then cut it to 30 secs …

How long did you train before you were able to do those 36?

You’ve been on a rep progression all this time, right? Try different progressions like weight progressions. Get a dip belt and put a 25 pound plate. If you don’t have a dip belt, get a backpack and put the plate in it.

If you don’t have plates or don’t want to go heavy, you can try rest-pause training. After your 36th rep, rest for a few seconds (maybe 15 seconds) and continue your set. Do this around 2-4 times in your set and make sure that on each workout day, you reduce the pause times (from 15, you make it 12), or you increase your reps after each pause.

Also try slow negatives. After exploding to the top, lower yourself for about 10-15 seconds. Do this each rep.

And if you can do 36 pullups, I’m sure you can do 1-hand pullups. Do as many as you can alternating style. Pullup with your right as much as you can then do it with your left as much as you can, and without rest, go right back to your right, then left, and so on until you can’t complete a rep without rest anymore.

The key here is to provide your muscles with different stimuli so that you will be able to shock them into new stages of development. You can invent ways to make your pullups different, and that would do the job.

Thx alot… it took me a full school year to achieve that many. i started off doing only 8 pull ups max. i looked like a girl in front of my gym class. everyday during wrestling season after training id climb ropes and do tons of pull ups before i went home. it jus didnt seem like i was gaining #s fast

So, undeadlift, how many pullups can you do?

[quote]akwrestler wrote:
Thx alot… it took me a full school year to achieve that many. i started off doing only 8 pull ups max. i looked like a girl in front of my gym class. everyday during wrestling season after training id climb ropes and do tons of pull ups before i went home. it jus didnt seem like i was gaining #s fast[/quote]

Hey good job akwrestler especially in th amount of time you accomplished this. The total amount you did the current week should be more than the previous week. If you can’t surpass the amount from previous week (which you should even if its just 1 or 3). Your rest time between sets the current should be shorter than last week.

Of course it goes without saying that weights are better (dip belt) if you have access to them. In this case every two weeks do 6 to 8 reps of 90-95 percent of your max. Of course you are not going to bust out 8 in a row the point of it is muscle activation. So you might end up doing 1 rep x 6 or 8 sets. This works for me pretty soon you will be able to do 400 pull ups in under 30 mins…

[quote]Mike Benfield wrote:
So, undeadlift, how many pullups can you do?[/quote]

Just 20. I started with 0 pullups max (lolz). There was a time I stagnated at 10 for months (my lats are really stubborn). I tried those techniques I mentioned above (except the 1-handers) and I got from 10 to 20 after just 4 workouts.

Oh yeah, barbell rows helped me as well.