Increasing Pull Ups

[quote]S.Fisher_47 wrote:
For what it’s worth, I’ve seen a 145 pound female who could barely do one pull up, do three sets of 8-10 with a mini band under each foot. I saw the exact same thing happen with a 210 pound male. Aside from echoing others about just asking Ed, you could ask him if using samaller bands would be a good idea. I just realized you may have a stigma attached to all your questions since, you train ED COAN! Does Ed pronounce his last name cone, or co-en. I’ve heard different people say if differently.[/quote]

It’s “cone”.

[quote]CSEagles1694 wrote:

[quote]S.Fisher_47 wrote:
For what it’s worth, I’ve seen a 145 pound female who could barely do one pull up, do three sets of 8-10 with a mini band under each foot. I saw the exact same thing happen with a 210 pound male. Aside from echoing others about just asking Ed, you could ask him if using samaller bands would be a good idea. I just realized you may have a stigma attached to all your questions since, you train ED COAN! Does Ed pronounce his last name cone, or co-en. I’ve heard different people say if differently.[/quote]

It’s “cone”. [/quote]

Thanks, that’s what I thought.

[quote]S C 0 0 Z E wrote:
Once you get up to 6 here is an awesome and easy program to follow. I did this before boot camp and got me up to 20 pullups.

http://webpages.charter.net/bert/reconron.html

[/quote]

Did you just do pull ups once a week in that program?

I didn’t really do any programs and I got to 16 @ 230lbs BW. Just do them intermittently throughout the day, and every time you go to the gym (including squat days). Weighted chins help too, but you don’t have to. Just hop up there and do sets of 2, then next thing you’ll be doing sets of 3, and so on. Also, get one of those things to hang in the door and do a pullup every time you walk in/out of the room or something. All you need is to find a way to do a whole bunch of pullups throughout the day.

[quote]Vladamir wrote:

Once you get up to 6 here is an awesome and easy program to follow. I did this before boot camp and got me up to 20 pullups.

[/quote]

Did you just do pull ups once a week in that program? [/quote]

x2 That part doesn’t make sense to me either.

Listen to Ed Coan,

I GUARANTEE you will get stronger just being in his presence and I am not just saying that to be a fucking nut swinger… Do them with the damn band for 9 weeks, retest without that afterwards… Work up to doing sets of 20 with the band, then go to a lighter band, work up again… etc etc etc…

Use the pyramid system, 8,7,6,…and mix it in with LOTS of push ups…youll be straight!

[quote]GruntOrama wrote:
YOU TRAIN WITH ED FUCKING COAN! JUST ASK HIM!

But seriously, what xanatomyxchartx said. Volume, and lots of it. I have heard of some people getting stronger from one good pullup session a week but in my experience, I find that volume and frequency are the best ways to improve bodyweight exercises. I have also found pulldowns to work for me, but since I’m a smaller guy, pulling a stack is significantly more than my body weight (I can hang from pulldowns and the weight wont budge. I have to hook my legs somewhere and yank it down.) If you are a bigger guy, this may serve no benefit since you might not be able to load them up enough.[/quote]

Haha. Right now he just has me doing band-assisted pull-ups with a light band. I hate to doubt the man, but I’m not sure that it will get me to where I need to be in the allotted time. I was thinking about doing them almost every day. I can do them at the end of each of my workouts and I can do them after my cardio on my off days.

CS[/quote]

As far as set up goes, is the band under both feet? Your knees? Or what.

[quote]Fletch1986 wrote:

[quote]GruntOrama wrote:
YOU TRAIN WITH ED FUCKING COAN! JUST ASK HIM!

But seriously, what xanatomyxchartx said. Volume, and lots of it. I have heard of some people getting stronger from one good pullup session a week but in my experience, I find that volume and frequency are the best ways to improve bodyweight exercises. I have also found pulldowns to work for me, but since I’m a smaller guy, pulling a stack is significantly more than my body weight (I can hang from pulldowns and the weight wont budge. I have to hook my legs somewhere and yank it down.) If you are a bigger guy, this may serve no benefit since you might not be able to load them up enough.[/quote]

Haha. Right now he just has me doing band-assisted pull-ups with a light band. I hate to doubt the man, but I’m not sure that it will get me to where I need to be in the allotted time. I was thinking about doing them almost every day. I can do them at the end of each of my workouts and I can do them after my cardio on my off days.

CS[/quote]

As far as set up goes, is the band under both feet? Your knees? Or what.[/quote]

Just under one knee.

CS

My progress hasn’t been amazing but in a few months I’ve gone from doing like 3 reps to 10-12.

My issue was that I didn’t really train my back hard enough though. So things like barbell rows etc. (horizontal movements) still helped a lot. With that, a lot of volume is really the key it seems. I find it better to pick a number of reps and then do as few sets as possible to hit it.

Good luck.

I was able to bang out 5 pullups by myself and I think I had one left in the tank. WIN.

CS

[quote]Ghost16 wrote:

[quote]Vladamir wrote:

[/quote]

Did you just do pull ups once a week in that program? [/quote]

x2 That part doesn’t make sense to me either.
[/quote]

5 Days per week IIRC

Congrats CSEagle, PROGRESS!

Did you happen to ask Mark Bell about this? :wink:

How do you manage to email him or whatever so he can have a chance to answer your question?

[quote]michael_xyz wrote:
Did you happen to ask Mark Bell about this? :wink:

How do you manage to email him or whatever so he can have a chance to answer your question?[/quote]

Haha yes, I did. I just sent him a message on YouTube. I’ve been getting as many opinions as possible.

CS

Start with 10 reps of pull ups. Add one everyday.

I used to suck with pull ups. Then I got myself a pull-up bar and attached it to my bedroom door. Every time I walk past it, I will do a few reps on it. As time pass, it becomes easier.