Increasing Protein to 300g While Cutting

[quote]anonym wrote:
Jaybee wrote:
What I want to know is this; would the LMT INCREASE during that the next few months I’m cutting, because of the increased protein, or do you need excess calories regardless? You see the contradictory influences on my muscle stock - would the net effect be positive or negative?

There may be a positive effect (in that you MAY retain more muscle while dieting), though, most likely, you will not see any NEW muscle synthesis during this time.[/quote]

Yeah?

I just gained a whole lot of new muscle whilst cutting fat…but I dont even want to go into biosignature after all the “Anti-biosig” guys around.

GJ

[quote]Gymjunkie wrote:
anonym wrote:
Jaybee wrote:
What I want to know is this; would the LMT INCREASE during that the next few months I’m cutting, because of the increased protein, or do you need excess calories regardless? You see the contradictory influences on my muscle stock - would the net effect be positive or negative?

There may be a positive effect (in that you MAY retain more muscle while dieting), though, most likely, you will not see any NEW muscle synthesis during this time.

Yeah?

I just gained a whole lot of new muscle whilst cutting fat…but I dont even want to go into biosignature after all the “Anti-biosig” guys around.

GJ[/quote]

Well…is our OP doing the whole “biosig” deal?

If not, then who cares?

[quote]anonym wrote:
Gymjunkie wrote:
anonym wrote:
Jaybee wrote:

There may be a positive effect (in that you MAY retain more muscle while dieting), though, most likely, you will not see any NEW muscle synthesis during this time.

Yeah?

GJ

Well…is our OP doing the whole “biosig” deal?

If not, then who cares?
[/quote]

Okay, okay…Fair nuf. This is why I dont like getting too involved in discussions.

GJ

[quote]anonym wrote:
Jaybee wrote:

There may be a positive effect (in that you MAY retain more muscle while dieting), though, most likely, you will not see any NEW muscle synthesis during this time.[/quote]

Thank you!! You’re the only person in this thread who has addressed the actual question - so don’t be offended if I ask whether this is your opinion based on theory, or actual experience.

To the fella down under - I assume this ‘Biosig’ is the next generation of Creatine but comparatively untested - of course I’m aware that roiders can add muscle while cutting, I’m a natty, as I stated in my opening post. And given my general build, I think 400Gms per day would be fantastic when I begin bulking, but I can’t see how it would allow me to keep cutting - bear in mind I have 35Ibs to lose.

[quote]Jaybee wrote:
I assume this ‘Biosig’ is the next generation of Creatine but comparatively untested.[/quote]

Lol, you assumed wrong!

There’s a lot of information on these forums and in the Articles over at T-Nation. You obviously haven’t read many of them in the last 4 years. It’s hard to help you with the attitude you have.

LR

[quote]London Runner wrote:
Jaybee wrote:
I assume this ‘Biosig’ is the next generation of Creatine but comparatively untested.

Lol, you assumed wrong!

There’s a lot of information on these forums and in the Articles over at T-Nation. You obviously haven’t read many of them in the last 4 years. It’s hard to help you with the attitude you have.

LR[/quote]

Not biting. You just keep LOL’ing, and I’ll just keep you on ‘Block’.

Oh no, I’m crying into my blanky! Waa Waa Waa!

LR

[quote]London Runner wrote:
Oh no, I’m crying into my blanky! Waa Waa Waa!

LR[/quote]

Well kid, if I weighed almost 30Kgs less and had your bf, I’d be crying too. Didn’t exactly hit the jackpot in the genetic lottery, did you?

Seems I’m stuck with you and your childish comebacks - and there will be plenty, I’m sure - until I can get this ‘Ignore’ feature to work.

I would ask you to put me on ‘Ignore’, but of course, you’ve got too much time on your hands to burn, eh?

My 2 cents.

You know your caloric amount for maintenance, nice. Just add more protein like suggested before and decrease carbs proportionnally (1g carbs, = 1g prot= 4kcal).

When starting ‘cutting’, simply decrease the maintenance number by 15-20% and monitor after 2 weeks (fat loss? how much? is it acceptable? did you lose muscle? From this you will know if you should decrease your intakes more or not, change macronutriment ratios, change your training).

Like said before you will most likely not build any muscle mass while cutting, your main objective will be to keep everything you got so far.

For this purpose your best bet is to increase prot (like you plan to do), not overdo cardio (too catabolic), and keep lifting heavy at least 2 times a week.

Asking for help while being a complete dick is a great strategy, nimrod.

You need a smack in the mouth.

[quote]Jaybee wrote:
Well kid, if I weighed almost 30Kgs less and had your bf, I’d be crying too. Didn’t exactly hit the jackpot in the genetic lottery, did you?[/quote]

No I wasn’t born with the genetics, but I was born with the intelligence to learn and read. Which means I can work on the rest, and it won’t take me 4 years!

Do you really think anyone will any time for you after you basically shun Chris Colucci?

LR

you should probably start cleaning up your diet while you wait around on someone’s scientific explanation for why it’s perfectly reasonable to assume eating 100g more protein per day will provide more nutrients for your muscles.

consider ordering some supps from Biotest, ie. Surge, Flameout, HOT-ROX

and check out anything Chris Shugart has contributed…i’m thinking this is the stuff you need to read!

[quote]AlexD wrote:
My 2 cents.

You know your caloric amount for maintenance, nice. Just add more protein like suggested before and decrease carbs proportionnally (1g carbs, = 1g prot= 4kcal).

When starting ‘cutting’, simply decrease the maintenance number by 15-20% and monitor after 2 weeks (fat loss? how much? is it acceptable? did you lose muscle? From this you will know if you should decrease your intakes more or not, change macronutriment ratios, change your training).

Like said before you will most likely not build any muscle mass while cutting, your main objective will be to keep everything you got so far.

For this purpose your best bet is to increase prot (like you plan to do), not overdo cardio (too catabolic), and keep lifting heavy at least 2 times a week.[/quote]

It does seem like the “Try it and tinker” approach is the consensus, based on the replies that have been serious. The mix of proteins, carbs and fats for successful cutting will probably be a very individual balance, and vary from person to person.

One thing is ABSOLUTELY certain - bigger and better things lie ahead at 300gms than at 200gms; unless 300gms doubles the cutting time (and I know how fast I was cutting at 200gms from previous experience) then up to 300gms I’ll go - incrementally.

All else being equal, a body that has spent 3 months cutting, at 300gms/day, is going to add LMT faster in month 4 than one that spent those initial three months at 200gms/day.

[quote]VON_Ballack wrote:
you should probably start cleaning up your diet while you wait around on someone’s scientific explanation for why it’s perfectly reasonable to assume eating 100g more protein per day will provide more nutrients for your muscles.

consider ordering some supps from Biotest, ie. Surge, Flameout, HOT-ROX

and check out anything Chris Shugart has contributed…i’m thinking this is the stuff you need to read![/quote]

The diet’s pretty well nailed down, it’s just a question now, as per my last post, of how MUCH fat/carbs I can eliminate in favour of proteins without getting carb-cravings, and that in turn is something only experience can answer. And I’ll run a search for Shugart’s articles, thanks.

These colourfully-named supplements; what advantage do they have?

check out this link to an article about the various ways you can stack supplements based on your goals/ situation:

brief description:

Surge - 25g protein, 2.5g fat, 46g carbs, 400mg potassium…and even more of the stuff you should be downing post-training.

Flameout - 52 calories a serving gives you the fatty acids everyone should be after (DHA, EPA, CLA…).

HOT-ROX - melts the fat away.

if you want to know how they’ve worked for other t-members, you should search this forum for the relevant threads.

Even with all the backandforth, I haven’t seen a clear answer to my questions from earlier:

How long have you been cutting, and have you been seeing results? Why are you considering increasing your intake in the first place?

These are variables we really should know, prior to recommending any change to the actual diet.

On a related note, since the original post was two days ago, what have you eaten and how have you trained?

On another related note, what type of training are you planning for this cut?

[quote]Jayvbee wrote:
I’m 243Ibs total, [b]I’d see my abs at 210Ibs[/b], so 33Ibs to shed.[/quote]
Says who? That’s entirely dependent on how much bodyfat you have now.

Bud, I think you’re overthinking this. Yes, protein will encourage muscle retention and possibly growth while cutting. However, that’s only one spoke in the wheel of the unicycle you’re pedaling towards your goal.

And… what’s it going to look like?

No, it’s not just down to experience. Your weekly training and total calorie intake will effect how you can manipulate carbs, fats, and proteins.