T Nation

Increasing Protein to 300g While Cutting

Hi all, first post in a while…

Ashamed though I am to admit it, I have never gotten to 300Gms, only ever done 200Gms, tops.

Now, at 40, I’m on a cutting diet, got about 30Ibs to shift until I can see my abs at 210Ibs. No roids/creatine. My question is…

What should be the net effect of this leap in protein, on my lean muscle stock, while cutting?

Thanks,

Jaybee.

So you are just upping protein? Are you decreasing carbs along with this?

[quote]plateau wrote:
So you are just upping protein? Are you decreasing carbs along with this?[/quote]

I don’t plan to.

Steriods…creatine…whatever…it’s essentially the same.

Does “Gms” = Grams? (aka ‘g’)

I only ask b/c it has a plethora of meanings.

Bumping this one for an answer…

here is your answer: unless you are in a caloric deficit, you won’t lose fat. Increasing your protein is fine, because it helps keep muscle while dieting. But unless you lower you fat/carb intake such that you burn more calories than you consume, you won’t lose fat. understand?

Perhaps this is some trans-Atlantic crosstalk; when we Brits refer to ‘Cutting’, we are talking about the dietary state in which you shed pounds via a deficit in calories. Not fats/carbs etc, but calories.

That’s the cutting I referred to - twice - in my opening post.

Moderators, could one of you perhaps try the question?

[quote]Jaybee wrote:
Perhaps this is some trans-Atlantic crosstalk; when we Brits refer to ‘Cutting’, we are talking about the dietary state in which you shed pounds via a deficit in calories. Not fats/carbs etc, but calories.

[/quote]

Same thing we call it in America too. I think the confusion is that since you are upping protein, you are upping calories, so to keep the same caloric deficit you have then you would need to cut out some fat or carbs to make up for it.

I don’t know if increasing your protein from 200g to 300g will help you. I can’t imagine that it would hurt though.

[quote]nowakc wrote:
Jaybee wrote:

I don’t know if increasing your protein from 200g to 300g will help you.[/quote]

You don’t know, that’s simple, thank you.

Anybody in the know take a crack at the question? Moderators?

lower the calories to a little under maintenance or do more steady cardio at maintenance.
300g protein is a good idea
limit carbs
eat fats

:slight_smile:

[quote]Jaybee wrote:
Hi all, first post in a while…[/quote]
Joined in 2004, 12 posts. Yep, I’d say “a while” about sums it up. :wink:

[quote]Perhaps this is some trans-Atlantic crosstalk; when we Brits refer to ‘Cutting’, we are talking about the dietary state in which you shed pounds via a deficit in calories. Not fats/carbs etc, but calories.
[/quote]

I’m kinda confused. You’re wondering the effects of adding 400 calories to your diet? Increasing your protein from 200 grams to 300 grams will be adding an extra 400 calories per day. On a fat loss diet, that’s a pretty significant change.

While more protein is almost always better (compared to increasing carbs and/or fats), if you’re seeing results now - bodyweight decreasing, strength in the gym staying the same, clothes fitting better, etc. - you might not actually need to increase your protein at all.

How long have you been cutting, and have you been seeing results? Why are you considering increasing your intake in the first place?

[quote]Jaybee wrote:

Now, at 40, I’m on a cutting diet, got about 30Ibs to shift until I can see my abs at 210Ibs. No roids/creatine. My question is…

[/quote]

Are you serious? There’s a fair distinction between steroids and creatine…

[quote]Chris Colucci wrote:
Jaybee wrote:
Hi all, first post in a while…
Joined in 2004, 12 posts. Yep, I’d say “a while” about sums it up. :wink:

I’m kinda confused. You’re wondering the effects of adding 400 calories to your diet? Increasing your protein from 200 grams to 300 grams will be adding an extra 400 calories per day. On a fat loss diet, that’s a pretty significant change.

While more protein is almost always better (compared to increasing carbs and/or fats), if you’re seeing results now - bodyweight decreasing, strength in the gym staying the same, clothes fitting better, etc. - you might not actually need to increase your protein at all.

How long have you been cutting, and have you been seeing results? Why are you considering increasing your intake in the first place?[/quote]

Ok, I think you seem to get it, almost anyway. I’ll start again - let’s see if this works.

Up until yesterday I’ve been on maintenance calories, but of those, only 800 are being supplied by Protein - there are too many carbs and fats in my diet, right now.

The plan is to gradually ramp up to 6 meals a day - from 4 - and make large, but equally incremental reductions in the excess carbs and fat. In other words, my diet now is much less than ideal, and that’s being polite. It must be cleaned up, and it will be.

Now - as we’ve established, with a calorific deficit, I’ll lose flab. I’m told that you need to go for 300Gms protein a day - whether bulking or cutting - in order to get BIG. I’m 243Ibs total, I’d see my abs at 210Ibs, so 33Ibs to shed.

What I want to know is this; would the LMT INCREASE during that the next few months I’m cutting, because of the increased protein, or do you need excess calories regardless? You see the contradictory influences on my muscle stock - would the net effect be positive or negative?

If you weight 243 pounds, then 300 grams of protein isn’t too high, that’s 1.2 g/lb or so. You probably won’t be building a significant amount of muscle, but you can certainly preserve it. Also, I’m not sure why you would want to cut fat from your diet, fat is very helpful for building muscle.

Also, check out this thread in the T-Cell
http://www.T-Nation.com/free_online_forum/blog_sports_training_performance_bodybuilding_alpha/protein_is_really_crucial

I recommend upping your protien to 2g/lb, eating mainly meat, fish, chicken, eggs. Eat GREEN veggies only with every meal(or so), and healthy fats with every meal, from nuts, olive oil, coconut oil, natural pb. NO CARBS…other than one sitting once a week, where you eat as much as you want. But for the first 2 weeks, no carbs at all, until you get adapted to fat as a prime source of fuel.

Many argue that counting calories is the way to go, moderate carb is better, low carb is better bla bla bla…MANY different approaches. This is simply one that works for me and many others, and this is why I have suggested it. In the end, pick one approach and make sure you are consistant!

I aint here to argue sht with ppl, just here to help where and if I can AND learn.

GJ

[quote]Gymjunkie wrote:
Many argue that counting calories is the way to go, moderate carb is better, low carb is better bla bla bla…MANY different approaches. [/quote]

True, but the one constant is that you need to reduce caloric intake and/or increase caloric expenditure to lose fat.

Too often people lose site of this and focus too much on the secondary issue of macronutrient proportions.

[quote]HK24719 wrote:
Gymjunkie wrote:
Many argue that counting calories is the way to go, moderate carb is better, low carb is better bla bla bla…MANY different approaches.

True, but the one constant is that you need to reduce caloric intake and/or increase caloric expenditure to lose fat.

Too often people lose site of this and focus too much on the secondary issue of macronutrient proportions.[/quote]

Agreed.

GJ

[quote]Jaybee wrote:
What I want to know is this; would the LMT INCREASE during that the next few months I’m cutting, because of the increased protein, or do you need excess calories regardless? You see the contradictory influences on my muscle stock - would the net effect be positive or negative?
[/quote]

There may be a positive effect (in that you MAY retain more muscle while dieting), though, most likely, you will not see any NEW muscle synthesis during this time.