Increasing My Frequency

I’m getting bored with my current workout and need your help designing a new one. I’m currently doing 7x4 with the basic pulls/presses + front squat/stiff-legged deadlifts split up over three sessions a week.

I’d like to increase the frequency to four times a week, make them shorter and incorporate new moves. I’m also starting the anabolic diet at the same time. My goal is to lose bodyfat and gain muscle (whose isn’t?).

Monday 8x3:

Bench press
Chest-supported row
Machine assisted pullups
Shoulder press

Tuesday 3x8:

Back squat
Ab crunch machine
Hyperextension
Standing calf raise

Thursday 3x8:

Incline bench
Seated row
Biceps curl
Triceps pressdown

Friday 8x3:

Front squat
Stiff-legged deadlift
Hanging leg raise
Seated calf

This is based on Big Boy Basics modified to fit my gym. Are my modifications acceptable or am I missing something?

Lower body strength is an issue for me. I only started squatting two months ago and have been progressing very slowly (doing them ATG from the start). Should I just persevere, limit them to parallel or switch one of the squats to leg press?

Any suggestions are welcome!

Looks good but I would make a DL first on one of thje leg days preferably the low rep high load day and make it priority Prob just ONE big move that day as well. I know my butt aint doing a front squat with a HIGH intensity and then the DL with same intensity. I would use the front squat as more an assistance for the DL

Other than that looks pretty basic and GOOD

Phill

[quote]Brogan wrote:
I’m getting bored with my current workout and need your help designing a new one. I’m currently doing 7x4 with the basic pulls/presses + front squat/stiff-legged deadlifts split up over three sessions a week.

I’d like to increase the frequency to four times a week, make them shorter and incorporate new moves. I’m also starting the anabolic diet at the same time. My goal is to lose bodyfat and gain muscle (whose isn’t?).

Monday 8x3:

Bench press
Chest-supported row
Machine assisted pullups
Shoulder press

Tuesday 3x8:

Back squat
Ab crunch machine
Hyperextension
Standing calf raise

Thursday 3x8:

Incline bench
Seated row
Biceps curl
Triceps pressdown

Friday 8x3:

Front squat
Stiff-legged deadlift
Hanging leg raise
Seated calf

This is based on Big Boy Basics modified to fit my gym. Are my modifications acceptable or am I missing something?

Lower body strength is an issue for me. I only started squatting two months ago and have been progressing very slowly (doing them ATG from the start). Should I just persevere, limit them to parallel or switch one of the squats to leg press?

Any suggestions are welcome!

[/quote]

Forget about the machine assisted pullup and the ab crunch machine. It’s a back extension not hyperextension. Consider doing a 1-leg SLDL instead of the 2-legged one, and work in single leg and posterior chain stuff whenever possible. Might want to drop the hanging leg raises in favor of a hamstring movement. don’t forget grip work. Big boy basics is a good start though-good choice, good luck.

Machine assisted pullups are still needed because I’m not yet strong enough to do them unassisted.

I chose the ab crunch machine because Big Boy Basics calls for an ab exercise. What should I change it to?

Single leg work is something I’ve never done, and when I think about it it’s definitely something I need. What if I on friday change front squat to pistols and SLDL to single leg good mornings (not sure how to do 1-leg SLDL)?

Im also thinking about changing the back squat on tuesday to leg presses until I get my strength up to par. As it stands my front squat 5RM is barely 100lbs. Something just seems to give (glute/hamstring?) when I go past parallel.

[quote]Brogan wrote:
Machine assisted pullups are still needed because I’m not yet strong enough to do them unassisted.

I chose the ab crunch machine because Big Boy Basics calls for an ab exercise. What should I change it to?

Single leg work is something I’ve never done, and when I think about it it’s definitely something I need. What if I on friday change front squat to pistols and SLDL to single leg good mornings (not sure how to do 1-leg SLDL)?

Im also thinking about changing the back squat on tuesday to leg presses until I get my strength up to par. As it stands my front squat 5RM is barely 100lbs. Something just seems to give (glute/hamstring?) when I go past parallel.

[/quote]

Can you do one chin-up? If not, get a band and do band-assisted chins. As for ab exercises, don’t bother with much flexion (crunches)-go for side bridges or 1 arm db overhead squats, or cable woodchops. Good thinking on the friday-change the back squat on tuesday to a front squat, and make friday a single leg/post. chain day.

Read Mike Boyles website-specifically the article called “New thoughts on single-leg training.” Do not leg press-your strength will go up just be patient and make sure you’re using good form. You’re probably lacking in flexbility-do a dynamic flexibility warmup, stretch those hip flexors and pecs etc.