T Nation

Increasing My Calories Help My Recovery?

Im doing stronglifts and i nearly stalled my overhead press at 100 5x5. I have been getting stronger but have only gained 2-3 lbs of muscle in 2 months. Not sure if thats normal or too little. Im 5’9 163 lbs and i eat around 2,700 calories per day. I dont want to “bulk” but i am thinking of amping my calories to 3,000 per day now that lifting feels heavier.

Any thoughts?

Calorie Requirements:

Lean body mass = LBM

LBM * 1.5 = Grams of protein/day
LBM * 1-2 = Grams of carbohydrates/day
LBM * 0.5 = Grams of fat/day

Using real numbers to estimate your calorie requirements is more useful than arbitrarily guessing. If you are bulking start with 1.5 or 2 grams of carbs per lb of LBM. Also, use the LBM you want not the one you have while trying to add mass.

Jlone… No offense, but that is a really shitty method. I would be at around a 1100-1300 calorie deficit eating with the macros listed. Op, general rule of thumb is 1.5Xbodyweight protein and split up the calories from carbs/fat about equal, more fat than carbs if you don’t handle them well. Eat at what gives you an average of weight gain you want (say you want to gain 1 pound a week, you want to gain 4 a month) . Metabolisms are different, what would be a large surplus for one with the same lean body mass/fat and activity as another could be a deficit for the other.

For example, the method Jlone recommend wants me eating around 2500 a day vs the 4000 I am eating which would put me at around a half-three quarters of a pound (probably closer to the lower end) a week. I also don’t have that high of an activity level, I walk 3/5’s of a mile a day when the weather is good, and I train is pretty much the only regular activity I have other than doing stuff.

Ya, you should eat more.

You can do either of the two -

Continue eating slightly more weekly until you find the spot where you gain fat and eat slightly less than that.
Eat a helluva lot more and increase your activity level accordingly and say hell with it on fat-loss.

If you’re undertrained then you’ll notice that you’ll gain lean mass while still losing/not gaining fat even at high calorie consumption, so it also depends on how long you’ve been lifting.

at 2,700 calories i have stayed the same body fat, like i said i dont want to “bulk” its not necessary my question is would eating 300 calories more. In this case 3,000 calories help me more than if i was eating 2,700.

[quote]DSSG wrote:
Jlone… No offense, but that is a really shitty method.

…the method Jlone recommend wants me eating around 2500 a day [/quote]
None taken big guy.

1.5 * 140 = 210g = 840
2 * 140 = 280g = 1120
.5 * 140 = 70g = 630

840 + 1120 + 630 = 2590 calories

Hah, well I definitely got my numbers wrong 2738 would be it. Well thanks for the insult, bro.

I lost some body weight/glycogen in the last three weeks from going into a heavy part of my training cycle (that I finished) and having a stomach flu.
So some information on me:
148 bodyweight today, 4000 calories daily and gaining body weight at a somewhat slow pace, 5"7’ and 15 years old. Benched 205X1 at the end of my training cycle with a narrow grip and one second pause. Pulled conventional 335 for a very easy and smooth rep, and was good for another 30-40 pounds if my back was not injured a couple weeks ago and has JUST gotten close to normal. I had gotten a squat, but I had a technique issue that I didn’t realize at the time. Feel free to say whatever, I don’t give a crap this is an online forum.

I will continue to go to this site and keep a log for anyone to view my progress and training along with asking questions from experienced powerlifters whenever I have a question related to my lifts or training in general.

[quote]DSSG wrote:
Hah, well I definitely got my numbers wrong 2738 would be it. Well thanks for the insult, bro.

…148 bodyweight today[/quote]
I am going to type this really slow so you catch it the third time…

Use the LBM you want not the one you have while trying to add mass.

Now run your numbers again but use the LBM of the non-prepubescent adult male you would one day like to become.

You are most welcome.

Say I want to have the LBM of 180 at 200 for 5"7 which would be a good goal for my height. That puts it at 3330… If I ate for if I wanted 220 LBM I would be eating 70 more calories than I am now, so 4070. To be honest, at the rate things are actually going I will probably need upwards of 5000+ to get past 180. That would mean at that point I would be eating if I wanted 270 LBM. See how things don’t quite add up with your method?

Jlone, read, and reread this message.

Overfeeding (you know, bulking?) raises the metabolism, and actually disconnects it to bodyweight. Go look for some studies on overfeeding, and prove me wrong. Please prove to me that I am full of shit.

[quote]DSSG wrote:
To be honest, at the rate things are actually going I will probably need upwards of 5000+ to get past 180.[/quote]
Thank you for your “guess” on how to get to 180.

As I have seen the formula I put here work for dozens on adult males the only thing in question is whether of not it has a direct coloration to teenagers.

[quote]
Jlone, read, and reread this message.

Overfeeding (you know, bulking?) raises the metabolism, and actually disconnects it to bodyweight. Go look for some studies on overfeeding, and prove me wrong. Please prove to me that I am full of shit. [/quote]
Nice ^Straw Man^ does that sort of thing work with your buddies at recess?

Miyaki’s approach :
(BM = Body Mass in Pounds)

Calories : 15xBM for recomp, 18xBM for bulking
Pro : 1gxBM
Fat : 0,2gxBM
CHO : remaining calories

So here we have for Recomp/weight maintenance :
Calories = 163x15 = 2445
Pro = 163g
Fat = 32g
Carbs = (2445-1634-329)/4 = 376g

For gaining weight :
Cal 2934
Pro 163g
Fat 32g
Carbs 498g

You can spread it over 3-5 meals, or use an IF diet.

I really love this approach.
I don’t feel hungry, don’t gain too much fat while bulking, have a lot of energy for training, and I can ‘play’ with calories via my carbs intake if I want to bulk/recomp/loose weight.

Mat’

Perhaps it does, or doesn’t have an effect on teenagers. I know my metabolism is ‘disconnecting’ with my bodyweight from gaining weight and I will continue to keep eating more to counter it which is all that matters in this discussion to me. I’ll make sure to tell you how much food it will take to break 180 when I get there which should be by the year’s end.

Lol chill guys.

Why not just try and get some more calories in and see what happens?