Increasing My Bench Press

[quote]Joe Weider wrote:
mathison wrote:
Ill stick to 5x5 then since its been working.

Bro, you said it wasn’t working. And it will stop working. Don’t listen to MajorDan. Go to the “authors” tab under the article section and read Dave Tate’s bench article. Dave knows more about tossing up big benches than just about anyone.[/quote]

Major Dan was being sarcastic. Grow up.

[quote]IL Cazzo wrote:
Joe Weider wrote:
mathison wrote:
Ill stick to 5x5 then since its been working.

Bro, you said it wasn’t working. And it will stop working. Don’t listen to MajorDan. Go to the “authors” tab under the article section and read Dave Tate’s bench article. Dave knows more about tossing up big benches than just about anyone.

Major Dan was being sarcastic. Grow up.
[/quote]

yes, thanks, I know he was. I also was afraid that since mathison sounded like kind of a newb he might not get the sarcasm, especially when a couple of posts later he said essentially “okay, I’ll just keep doing what I’ve been doing”, which is when I said don’t listen to MD.
Sorry, didn’t mean to offend you.
Perhaps you could take the opportunity to clarify before you have a hissy fit in the future though, huh?
Thanks,

You’ve reached your genetic limit begin to use huge doses of anabolic steroids, growth hormone and soy protien powder!

Just kidding…I hope major dan was as well.

Bro first of all what the fuck have you read about benching? READ DAVE TATES ARTICLE, then read Christians Thibadeaus THEN ask questions. Actually the first thing you need to do is get the idea outta your head that you know what your doing, becuause you ask a newbie question the start responding to advice like you didnt even ask the initial question, remember the saying about the empty cup? I am not saying your are completly clueless but stay humble, keep an open mind and you will learn more. oh and one more thing learn this word, Adaptation, understanding how the human body adapts will go a long way in helping you understand plateaus and why you need to change up what your doing regularly.

So what happens once you fail on the treadmill? This must turn heads in the gym.

lol, it has a cable that goes around you so if you fall back it shuts off

Alright I been reading up on the articles and heres what I came up with a 3 week cycle…

Dynamic Bench
week 1- 8 sets of 3 reps with 50%
Week 2- 8 sets of 3 reps with 55%
Week 3- 8 sets of 3 reps with 60%

Max bench effort
Week 1- 10-15 sets of 1 rep with 80-85%
Week 2- 5 sets of 5 reps with 70-75%
Week 3- 10 sets of 3 reps with 80-85%

My split looks like this…

Monday- max deadlift/front squat
Tuesday- biceps
Wednesday- max bench
Thursday- abs
Friday- dynamic deadlift/front squat
Saturday- Back
Sunday- dynamic bench

What do you guys think of this ?

Yes I was being sarcastic. Sorry if I derailed the whole thread.
Seriously, there are a number of good articles on how to increase your bench.
Two common themes to all these programs are to vary the rep and set scheme - the same thing stops working after a while; and develop your back both to avoid imbalances and to actually help increase your bench.

My aplogies for the sarcasm. I had hoped that the point behind it would be more obvious. If you do the calculations, adding 5 lbs per week for 4 years and you’d be benching over 1000 lbs.
That certainly isn’t possible in real life.
Good luck and use the resources on this site. There is much wisdom in the articles of CT, Dave Tate and others. Rely on them, not wiseguys like me.

Alright I been reading up on the articles and heres what I came up with a 3 week cycle…

Dynamic Bench
week 1- 8 sets of 3 reps with 50%
Week 2- 8 sets of 3 reps with 55%
Week 3- 8 sets of 3 reps with 60%

Max bench effort
Week 1- 10-15 sets of 1 rep with 80-85%
Week 2- 5 sets of 5 reps with 70-75%
Week 3- 10 sets of 3 reps with 80-85%

My split looks like this…

Monday- max deadlift/front squat
Tuesday- biceps
Wednesday- max bench