T Nation

Increasing My 1RM


#1

I've only been training again for about 4 months. in the last 4 months I've seen some great newbie gains increasing all my major compound lifts greatly. I haven't been programming though.

I was wondering what everyone takes would be on implementing a rigid program? I know a lot of people swear by 5/3/1 on here. I would like to know what you guys would recommend for increasing my strength. Thanks!


#2

5/3/1


#3

[quote]bigtom91 wrote:
I was wondering what everyone takes would be on implementing a rigid program? [/quote]

You don’t have to. But do you have a method of quantifying progression?


#4

I think beginners are generally well served by following a structured, proven program. It’s so easy for beginners to just do the things they like, when left to their own devices. My squat was garbage for a long, long time because of this. Structured programs will generally force you out of your comfort zone at least once a week, which, in my opinion, is a great thing.


#5

[quote]dt79 wrote:
5/3/1[/quote]
for example, I would do 3x3 at 225 week 1 5x3 at225 week 2 3x4-6 225 week 3 than week 4 go up to 235… (examples)


#6

[quote]bigtom91 wrote:

[quote]dt79 wrote:
5/3/1[/quote]
for example, I would do 3x3 at 225 week 1 5x3 at225 week 2 3x4-6 225 week 3 than week 4 go up to 235… (examples)[/quote]

What is that an example of?


#7

purley hypothetical


#8

[quote]bigtom91 wrote:
purley hypothetical[/quote]

Is English your first language? I am having difficulty following this discussion.


#9

lmao, yes. the scheme i listed above was used for bench press.


#10

[quote]T3hPwnisher wrote:

[quote]bigtom91 wrote:

[quote]dt79 wrote:
5/3/1[/quote]
for example, I would do 3x3 at 225 week 1 5x3 at225 week 2 3x4-6 225 week 3 than week 4 go up to 235… (examples)[/quote]

What is that an example of?[/quote]

He meant it as a hypothetical 5/3/1 bench press day.

OP, if you want to do 5/3/1, buy the book. The ebook version is cheap, will explain everything, is well-written (I tend to occasionally reread it for entertainment!) and you’ll support Wendler doing so, which is only fair.


#11

[quote]nighthawkz wrote:

[quote]T3hPwnisher wrote:

[quote]bigtom91 wrote:

[quote]dt79 wrote:
5/3/1[/quote]
for example, I would do 3x3 at 225 week 1 5x3 at225 week 2 3x4-6 225 week 3 than week 4 go up to 235… (examples)[/quote]

What is that an example of?[/quote]

He meant it as a hypothetical 5/3/1 bench press day.

OP, if you want to do 5/3/1, buy the book. The ebook version is cheap, will explain everything, is well-written (I tend to occasionally reread it for entertainment!) and you’ll support Wendler doing so, which is only fair.
[/quote]

he did? that looked like 4 weeks of slightly varied sets/reps, with the assumption that between week 1 and week 3, he will have come close to doubling his rep capacity at a given weight. It does not resemble 5/3/1 programming in any significant way.

This indicates to me that the OP DEFINITELY should follow someone else’s program. And I agree that he should buy the book. well worth it.


#12

[quote]bigtom91 wrote:
for example, I would do 3x3 at 225 week 1 5x3 at225 week 2 3x4-6 225 week 3 than week 4 go up to 235… (examples)[/quote]
That’s pretty haphazard, so if that’s how you’ve been training, you’d definitely benefit from some kind of structured program. Most 5/3/1 templates would suit you fine, but Tim Henriques and Paul Carter also have some great strength-focused programs in the Archive.

However, your profile says you’re 6’5" and 325. Not to tell you your goals, but I’d suggest getting your diet in line and possibly dropping some fat along the way as you work on the strength.


#13

so where do i buy this book? is it available here ?


#14

[quote]bigtom91 wrote:
so where do i buy this book? is it available here ? [/quote]


#15

[quote]T3hPwnisher wrote:

[quote]bigtom91 wrote:
so where do i buy this book? is it available here ? [/quote]

https://Biotest.T-Nation.com/products/beyond-531-by-jim-wendler[/quote]

Still the best training book I own, in my opinion.


#16

[quote]flipcollar wrote:
he did? that looked like 4 weeks of slightly varied sets/reps, with the assumption that between week 1 and week 3, he will have come close to doubling his rep capacity at a given weight.
[/quote]

Umm. Yeah. Sorry. I should have read more closely. It looked like a really misunderstood version of 531 the first time I glanced at it.


#17

5/3/1 is solid and works great if you put in the time.

It’s not the kind of routine you can jump on and off for 2-3 months in my opinion.
Slow linear progression month-after-month so I feel you need to get on and stick with it for minimum 6+ months to make consistent strength gains.

Ogus 7/5/3 “program” is also gaining popularity since it’s similar to 5/3/1 but with more volume so some believe it helps put on size in addition to strength.

The russian squat Smolov program is an option if you’re a bit of a masochist lol.

You can do it for any of the big compound lifts though, not just squat.
I’ve heard of guys running two Smolov programs simultaneously for Squat and Bench