Increasing Morning Flexibility?

During the spring and summer I had a part-time evening job and then was unemployed for a couple months. I enjoyed going to the gym 2-3 hours after waking up, as that’s how long it would usually take for me to “feel” ready. Now, I work full-time, 8AM-4PM. This has me going to bed at 7, waking up at 3AM and arriving to the gym shortly after 4. I spend 10 minutes warming up with cardio then 10 minutes stretching my legs, but my range of motion during squats has been downgraded.

Are there any special tricks I can use to wake my body up? I’d only want to go to bed at 5PM and wake up at 1AM as a last resort, and evening workouts are out of the question for me.

You need to be active for 2-3 hours before you are totally limbered up. Perhaps try working out after work.

That sounds like the best idea on the surface, but I’d sooner wake up earlier, even if it means freaky night-owl territory. I’m a member of 24 Hour Fitness, and the only one near me is a huge night-club type place with only 1 squat rack and 1 power rack. I’m in the middle of EDT and generally respond well to short-rest periods, so I really don’t want to deal with all the peak hour people.

Wake up and Put down a hot liquid and bundle up in clothes to raise your core temp ASAP. This will do a LOT to making you more flexible.

Phill, good idea. I’d feel even more stiff freezing my ass off in the Winter, which was the only time I’d then go out of my way to warm myself up. I wish I thought of that. I’ll get some sweats the next time I’m out, and start cooking oatmeal w/protein powder instead of cold whey shakes, refridgerated fruit, and room tempature bread for breakfast. Thanks!

It works I started layering up about 1/2 hour pre w/o a month or two ago and wont look back.

i do 10-15 mins or so of static stretching before i hit the sack.

personally i wouldn’t stretch before squatting but would warm up w/ squats. light overhead squats are my favorite method.

Here’s another idea: a twenty minute hot tub soak. That will loosen you up.