T Nation

Increasing Leg Size

hey guys, just wondering if you have some tips on increaseing leg size. i have plenty of strength thats not a problem but i cant seem to gain any size, any tips?

http://tnation.T-Nation.com/free_online_forum/blog_sports_training_performance_bodybuilding_alpha/alpha_cell_roundtable_3_wheels

What have you been doing?

The best thing you could ever do for your legs.

mainly squats,deadlifts leg presses, running and lunges

oh and calf raises

[quote]Bailey H wrote:

The best thing you could ever do for your legs.[/quote]

This, but i’ll add

Start your leg workouts with some lying legcurls, do 3 normal sets and then one with intensity where you go higher reps (can be dropsets, partial reps etc etc but get at least 30reps on this)

To give you an idea today I did 3 x 12 and then dropset 12-8-8-25partials

Afterward hit the quads pick the exercises in the article but make you get get something thats gonna be high reps for the quads too (could be dropset, one all out max rep # set whatever)

Always finish your leg workout with either stiff legged barbell or dumbell deadlift focusing on THE STRETCH. You dont need to come back up all the way… 3/4 reps from bottom

Ive seen the best leg growth from this. My quads got bigger and my hams well… damn lol they went from being nothing to being on par

[quote]Forcesguy wrote:
hey guys, just wondering if you have some tips on increaseing leg size. i have plenty of strength thats not a problem but i cant seem to gain any size, any tips?[/quote]
Too little info. What are you doing for these now? How often?

[quote]zraw wrote:
Always finish your leg workout with either stiff legged barbell or dumbell curls focusing on THE STRETCH. You dont need to come back up all the way… 3/4 reps from bottom [/quote]

Barbell or dumbbell curls… like stiff leg / romanian deadlifts?

[quote]LoRez wrote:

[quote]zraw wrote:
Always finish your leg workout with either stiff legged barbell or dumbell curls focusing on THE STRETCH. You dont need to come back up all the way… 3/4 reps from bottom [/quote]

Barbell or dumbbell curls… like stiff leg / romanian deadlifts?[/quote]

LOLLL sorry im dumb

barbell or dumbell stiff legged deadlift

thanks i will give this a go!

[quote]zraw wrote:

[quote]LoRez wrote:

[quote]zraw wrote:
Always finish your leg workout with either stiff legged barbell or dumbell curls focusing on THE STRETCH. You dont need to come back up all the way… 3/4 reps from bottom [/quote]

Barbell or dumbbell curls… like stiff leg / romanian deadlifts?[/quote]

LOLLL sorry im dumb

barbell or dumbell stiff legged deadlift[/quote]

Zraw, curious about how long were you using this before you began to see noticeable change?

[quote]wswnsc wrote:

[quote]zraw wrote:

[quote]LoRez wrote:

[quote]zraw wrote:
Always finish your leg workout with either stiff legged barbell or dumbell curls focusing on THE STRETCH. You dont need to come back up all the way… 3/4 reps from bottom [/quote]

Barbell or dumbbell curls… like stiff leg / romanian deadlifts?[/quote]

LOLLL sorry im dumb

barbell or dumbell stiff legged deadlift[/quote]

Zraw, curious about how long were you using this before you began to see noticeable change?[/quote]

Theres a pic in my contest thread with a 12weeks difference to give you an idea but really after 4weeks i could see changes already

[quote]zraw wrote:

[quote]wswnsc wrote:

[quote]zraw wrote:

[quote]LoRez wrote:

[quote]zraw wrote:
Always finish your leg workout with either stiff legged barbell or dumbell curls focusing on THE STRETCH. You dont need to come back up all the way… 3/4 reps from bottom [/quote]

Barbell or dumbbell curls… like stiff leg / romanian deadlifts?[/quote]

LOLLL sorry im dumb

barbell or dumbell stiff legged deadlift[/quote]

Zraw, curious about how long were you using this before you began to see noticeable change?[/quote]

Theres a pic in my contest thread with a 12weeks difference to give you an idea but really after 4weeks i could see changes already
[/quote]

Thanks. I tried the template you decribed about last night for the first time. I’m been tinkering with my leg workout for a couple of weeks now. Those DB deads at the end are killers. I’m using a narrow stance leg press 3x15 +1 drop set to failure (25 ish reps) to focus on the quads, after the ham curls. Any thoughts ?

Btw… I have been following the contest thread and saw the pics this morning you mentioned. The change is sick - you should be so proud of what you’re accomplished in such a short time frame.

[quote]zraw wrote:

[quote]LoRez wrote:

[quote]zraw wrote:
Always finish your leg workout with either stiff legged barbell or dumbell curls focusing on THE STRETCH. You dont need to come back up all the way… 3/4 reps from bottom [/quote]

Barbell or dumbbell curls… like stiff leg / romanian deadlifts?[/quote]

LOLLL sorry im dumb

barbell or dumbell stiff legged deadlift[/quote]

Using DBs did you run into trouble with the weight or did JM had you doing some super-intense hams super-set of doom so you wouldn’t require very heavy DBs ?

I’m crazy about DB stiff-legs but there’s not many gyms around with 200 pound dbs.

[quote]wswnsc wrote:

[quote]zraw wrote:

[quote]wswnsc wrote:

[quote]zraw wrote:

[quote]LoRez wrote:

[quote]zraw wrote:
Always finish your leg workout with either stiff legged barbell or dumbell curls focusing on THE STRETCH. You dont need to come back up all the way… 3/4 reps from bottom [/quote]

Barbell or dumbbell curls… like stiff leg / romanian deadlifts?[/quote]

LOLLL sorry im dumb

barbell or dumbell stiff legged deadlift[/quote]

Zraw, curious about how long were you using this before you began to see noticeable change?[/quote]

Theres a pic in my contest thread with a 12weeks difference to give you an idea but really after 4weeks i could see changes already
[/quote]

Thanks. I tried the template you decribed about last night for the first time. I’m been tinkering with my leg workout for a couple of weeks now. Those DB deads at the end are killers. I’m using a narrow stance leg press 3x15 +1 drop set to failure (25 ish reps) to focus on the quads, after the ham curls. Any thoughts ?

Btw… I have been following the contest thread and saw the pics this morning you mentioned. The change is sick - you should be so proud of what you’re accomplished in such a short time frame. [/quote]

If narrow stance is on legpress id do lile 3x12 then cut weight in half and do 40++

Then maybe squats with 3secs neg for 8reps and then some leg ext with a 1-3sec hold on top depending on reps #

Thx for the compliment :slight_smile:

[quote]DeltaOne wrote:

[quote]zraw wrote:

[quote]LoRez wrote:

[quote]zraw wrote:
Always finish your leg workout with either stiff legged barbell or dumbell curls focusing on THE STRETCH. You dont need to come back up all the way… 3/4 reps from bottom [/quote]

Barbell or dumbbell curls… like stiff leg / romanian deadlifts?[/quote]

LOLLL sorry im dumb

barbell or dumbell stiff legged deadlift[/quote]

Using DBs did you run into trouble with the weight or did JM had you doing some super-intense hams super-set of doom so you wouldn’t require very heavy DBs ?

I’m crazy about DB stiff-legs but there’s not many gyms around with 200 pound dbs.

[/quote]

Goal is just to get a good slow deep stretch here, i use the 65s

[quote]zraw wrote:

[quote]wswnsc wrote:

[quote]zraw wrote:

[quote]wswnsc wrote:

[quote]zraw wrote:

[quote]LoRez wrote:

[quote]zraw wrote:
Always finish your leg workout with either stiff legged barbell or dumbell curls focusing on THE STRETCH. You dont need to come back up all the way… 3/4 reps from bottom [/quote]

Barbell or dumbbell curls… like stiff leg / romanian deadlifts?[/quote]

LOLLL sorry im dumb

barbell or dumbell stiff legged deadlift[/quote]

Zraw, curious about how long were you using this before you began to see noticeable change?[/quote]

Theres a pic in my contest thread with a 12weeks difference to give you an idea but really after 4weeks i could see changes already
[/quote]

Thanks. I tried the template you decribed about last night for the first time. I’m been tinkering with my leg workout for a couple of weeks now. Those DB deads at the end are killers. I’m using a narrow stance leg press 3x15 +1 drop set to failure (25 ish reps) to focus on the quads, after the ham curls. Any thoughts ?

Btw… I have been following the contest thread and saw the pics this morning you mentioned. The change is sick - you should be so proud of what you’re accomplished in such a short time frame. [/quote]

If narrow stance is on legpress id do lile 3x12 then cut weight in half and do 40++

Then maybe squats with 3secs neg for 8reps and then some leg ext with a 1-3sec hold on top depending on reps #

Thx for the compliment :slight_smile:
[/quote]

Ok - I think I’ve been really underestimating the volume I need to be shooting for. I did go from the leg press to the extentions, trying to get to 3x12 with at least a 1 sec hard squeeze at the top. Getting the weight right to be able to get the volume has been a bit of trial and error. Thanks for all the advice.