Increasing Chins or Pull Ups at 215+ Body Weight

Does anyone know of people who are over 215 pounds and can do double digit chins/pull ups. I want to increase my chin/pull ups because I have always been weak at it. When I was in high school I could only do a half-rep (that did not count in PE class), because I jumped up for the rep and I was only 140lbs at that time. By the time I graduated, I was 170lbs and could not do any still. I think I read that the poster waylanderxx could do 30 or so at a bodyweight of 275lbs.

Does anyone know how he built that lift up or was he always good at it. I know Matt Kroc (elitefts) can do it easily at 250lbs, but he is an ELITE powerlifter and I am definitely not. Thanks in advance.

I’m at 215 currently and can do 12, but my training consists of lower reps with added weight like 6x4 with a 45 on a dip belt. I was much happier with 1 rep of +100 than any rep # of pullups. But I’m goofy like that.

[quote]lukepropst wrote:
I’m at 215 currently and can do 12, but my training consists of lower reps with added weight like 6x4 with a 45 on a dip belt. I was much happier with 1 rep of +100 than any rep # of pullups. But I’m goofy like that.[/quote]

I will try to add some weighted chins/pull ups, although my max is only 5 reps, so maybe aim for 2-3 reps per set, with a light weight attached. Since I have never come close to doing double digit chins/pull ups at even a light body weight, it is just one of the things I always had in the back of my mind (partly stemming from the many times I would be laughed at in school for doing ZERO reps in PE class).

You are not alone…I wish I could do double digit pull-ups too.

Pull-ups are hard period. There is so much going on in the shoulders and lats that it’s sometimes hard to feel anything but dificulty.

If you are only doing five, keep at it. Try resting 3-4 minutes between sets and give 5 another shot for 2 more sets.

Rep ranges that low are still working with maximum strength development. Get 3-4 sets of 5 under your belt and build up from there. I wouldn’t worry about adding weight if you are trying to reach double digit reps.

Just increase the reps in a logical planned out manner.

-Bulwark

[quote]lukepropst wrote:
I’m at 215 currently and can do 12, but my training consists of lower reps with added weight like 6x4 with a 45 on a dip belt. I was much happier with 1 rep of +100 than any rep # of pullups. But I’m goofy like that.[/quote]

That’s a good mindset when it comes to chins. Sets of 3-6 have served me well. Long-term goal is definitely a bodyweight single…I’m a little more than halfway there. :slight_smile:

Get strong and the reps will come. Rows help too.

Try doing assisted chins/pullups for 10-15 reps and gradually lower the weight each time.

my reps started to go up when i stopped trying to contract my bi’s and started trying to pull my elbows down. your back is much stronger than your arms, keep that in mind.

i also like to do split sets for any lift i’m trying to bring up. on whatever day(s) they fit in, start out with 3-4 sets of them, and then at the end, do another 2-3 sets of them. i’ve found my back to recover very fast in comparison to other body parts, it probably wouldn’t be a bad idea to do pullups 3x a week.

I used to be able to knock out 18 clean full ROM pullups and two with 40kg attached at a bodyweight of 80kg…

Then I went on an epic bulk but the fatty tissue went up like crazy. When I started doing pullups again I couldnt even do 4 sets of 4! After a couple of months Im up to 6/5/5/4 (as done today) supersetted with some bent over db flys.

Current weight is 215lbs… bodyfat about 18% (whoops!).

Ive been running WS4SB.

Keep lifting hard, keep the diet clean and you should be good to go.

Switching between these and neutral grips every 4 weeks has helped a lot also.

[quote]lukepropst wrote:

pullups used to be hard for me. for a long time i worked on just doing 40 total pulls of various grip every time i went to the gym

i never seemed to make much progress and let it go for a while. started doing them again and with added weight. they pop out easy now for some reason. +100 though!! that gives me a serious goal to shoot for

I’m 220 and can do 5 with +75, not sure how many without, but I’m sure its more than 10. I usually do weighted chins or pulls starting at 3x3 and I work up to 5x5 over a few weeks and then I increase the weight.

Recon Ron

I weigh 200lbs and started at 10 with this program and it took me to 18 as of last Sat.

http://webpages.charter.net/bert/reconron.html

It is a progressive overload plan and you can start at the week of your current pullup ability level.

You just pick a week which you think you can do and do the 5 sets listed Mon-Fri and keep going until it gets you to your goal.

Now that I’m at 18 I’m going to work in weighted pullups but I think you need a good pullup base of 10-12 solid ones before you get into that.

I actually have a buddy who has gone from doing like 4 to 10 in about a month and a half just from greasing the groove and he weighs 215lbs.

Good Luck Man. Pullups are just one of those exercises that suck and unless you do them you’ll never get good at them.

i’m currently 200pds but i can pull about 15 reps widegrip from a start of 5reps. what worked for me was actually to just keep working at it. it just gets easier to do the more you do it.

what i did was i’d do a single set of pull ups after every workout for a week. then for the following week, i’d only do pull ups on my backday. what i’d do was set a certain number of reps to meet and just kept doing it till i hit that number. the number i set was usually about 25reps total.

Look up Grease the groove by pavel. You do half your max, pretty much constantly (everytime you pass the bar). Works very well

im 216 lbs and can do about 15 all the way down chins and about 10 legit pullups. i used to be terrible at them considering my arm length but just keep practicing them, as simple as it sounds it helps. also try negatives from the top, they work wonders

Arnold would do 50 every back workout no matter how many sets it took. When he could do 10 in a row he would add weight. Give it a try, it gets tough.

Jesse Marunde:
- YouTube

[quote]Csar wrote:
Jesse Marunde:
- YouTube [/quote]

that was so cool to watch. what a beast!

What worked for me was doing 5 sets 6 days a week. For example 12 10 8 8 8. The next week increase the number and use assistance if necessary. For example 13 11 9 9 9 week 2.

try doing pullups with a towel draped over 2 bars about shoulder width apart, eg the top of a roman chair, just fold it long ways about 4 times and it should be ok to grip. they are tough as hell but I find it makes normal pullups seem like a nothing when you go back to them. Also, dont cheat like the guy in the video, you are better to do squeeze your shoulder blades together and really concentrate on pulling your chest up to the bar and lowering slowly. get a training partner to help you to get started. good luck