Increasing Bench Reps

Quick question.

My max bench right now is 235 for one rep. I want to be able to do 225 for a 5x5 program but I also can do 225 for only one rep. Do you suggest that I
A) increase my max because that will increase my reps on lower weight
B)keep using 225 but try for 2 reps next time
C)Do a 5x5 with a lower weight but increase each time you lift

This applies to all of my lifts.
I can max out at 315 on the squat for 1 rep. However, I can only do one rep for the weights 305 and 295. Which option should i chose to increase the amount of reps I can do.

You definately have to increase your max, somewhat considerably, before you could do 225 lbs for a 5X5. It’s not really abnormal that you can only lift 225 once, because that’s actually 96% of your max. I’m guessing right now you might be able to do a 5X5 with a weight between 180 and 190, so if that’s the template your going with use a weight like that, or the heaviest you can do it with.

Beau

At your current max the highest I would perform a 5x5 is 190lbs or 80%.

Just quit trying to dissect it and get stronger. Increase your max, do that by working with heavy weights

I think you might be confused. On bench, my 5-rep max is 90% of my 1-rep max. My 5x5 rep max (with a 3 min rest between sets) is is 80% of my 1-rep max. Everyone’s a little different, but the percentages should be similar.

[quote]rmexico wrote:
I think you might be confused. On bench, my 5-rep max is 90% of my 1-rep max. My 5x5 rep max (with a 3 min rest between sets) is is 80% of my 1-rep max. Everyone’s a little different, but the percentages should be similar.[/quote]

You have a helluva threshold for big weights if you can 5-rep at 90%

i can rep 90% of my 1 RM 3 times, how much are you putting up rmexico?

[quote]austin_bicep wrote:
i can rep 90% of my 1 RM 3 times, how much are you putting up rmexico?[/quote]

I concur

while i don’t bench consistently, I can never triple more than 90%, and sometimes its only a double. when I did a 250 max i could get 225 three, and not four, times.

i’d also recommend about 80% at the very most for starting a 5x5 program. with 5x5, it actually won’t hurt to start conservatively since the weights increase frequently. better to get all your reps, sets. focus on powerful concentrics even if the weight feels “too light”. a stronger 5x5 bench press will ensue.

[quote]austin_bicep wrote:
i can rep 90% of my 1 RM 3 times, how much are you putting up rmexico?[/quote]

Four weeks ago, I got 390x1, but I think I’m a little stronger now. My 5-rep PR is 350–just did that on Tues. My 3-rep PR is 370. According to a calculator I just found on Google, those numbers are consistent with a 395 lb bench. Maybe I’m a little higher percentage-wise than you guys because I rarely test my 1RM?