T Nation

Increasing 225 for Reps on Bench

This is a post for collegiate/high school football players or other weightlifters who use the 225 bench press for reps as a measure of strength. I am a collegiate football player trying to increase my 225 bench press and Im looking for a program to do so.

A quick snapshot of my lifts right now:
1RMax: 380
225 for reps: 23

Please include set/rep schemes with weight’s in addition to any supporting exercises.

if it was me… ( can only do 225x10) i would work with 245-265 for reps and try to get those to 20+ then see where ur at

I actually just benched a minute ago and hit 25 reps on my first set, which was a two rep PR for me since my last test three weeks ago. In that time I worked on pyramid training doing 10-8-6-4-2 with my rep scheme starting at 275 and going to 360. I know there is a better way to tackle increasing strength endurance while still maintaing max strength.
working with a higher weight has occurred to me bignate, although there must be some ideal set/rep scheme for this. Currently I just do three sets where I burn out which is obviously not ideal.

take a look at Joe DeFranco’s template probably the best out there for sports/combine training.its a hybrid of the conjugate method. also you can focus on strengthening your triceps, if you haven’t already. promise you triceps make a huge difference.

take a look at Joe DeFranco’s template, its a hybrid of the conjugate method. probably the best out there for sports/combine training. also hit the triceps hard, promise it makes a huge difference! not tricep pulldowns or anything like that, but closegrip bench, throat crushers, rolling triceps, heavy dips, etc. i follow this template and blow up the tri’s and my bench continues to go up in 1rm, 3rm, and 225 for reps.

Although my 1RM went up around 30 lbs, my 225 bench reps have stayed the same, I havent gone past 6 in over a year.

Your reps should have gone up by 1-2 reps. Sounds like you bench around 275 or so…give or take. The stronger you get the more reps you’ll be able to get. pretty simple, no magic formula. cutthoat25 made a good point, DeFranco has a great template. I’d try that if you haven’t already

From EliteFTS:

1. Rep test?225: I get asked several times a year how to increase one?s 225 lb bench press rep test. This has got to be the dumbest test of all time, but I?ve found a few things to be very effective in performing and training for this test. The first and most simple one is to get stronger. You would think this would be well-known, but just about every time I look at the programming leading into this test, there?s never any max effort work (ME). So make sure you?re doing ME work. Some of the most effective ME movements are one-board presses, floor presses, and close grip inclines. If this ?rep test? is your goal, change this movement every week. The reason is simple. If you?re asking this then you normally don?t have much time before you?re tested. This allows you to hit these movements more frequently because you don?t have the time to figure out what works best.

2. Rep test?225: Pull out on the bar or pull in? Check and see where you fail and how you fail. If it seems to be the pecs (fails at the bottom) or triceps (the top) then change the focus. If you?re a pec guy, just press until you feel ?burning.? At this point, begin pulling the bar apart. This will give you a few extra reps. If it?s your triceps, then pull in.

3. Rep test?225: Many times this is a time game. You may find you always fail around the same time (say 45 seconds). You can change this with training, but as you know, this one will take time. Most of the time that I?m asked this question, time is very limited. The trick then becomes how to get more reps in the same timeframe. You can either shorten the stoke (classic Westside?tuck belly up and so on) or work with over speed work. Use the reverse band press to help move the bar faster. By doing this, you?ll learn to press faster.

4. Rep test?225: Speed work with bands?the same concept as above but work more on a faster eccentric phase.

5. Rep test?225: If you can gain weight and maintain speed, gain weight.

6. Rep test?225: Make sure your wrists stay straight and locked. If the bar falls too much behind your wrists, your triceps will fail way too fast. This is a huge mistake that I see with ALL guys who do this. When this happens, the triceps will fail faster because of where the center of gravity of the weight falls.

7. Rep test?225: Don?t bounce the weights! I shouldn?t have to write this, but I?ve seen far too many people do this test and I?ve seen the same mistake over and over again. Aside from the injury potential from bouncing weights, the bar gets tossed all over the place. The best path is the same path for each rep. More fluid motion equals greater output.

8. Rep test?225: To expand on number 38, you can test how well you?re doing. Wear a black shirt and chalk the bar all over the center knurling. Do a few reps and check to see if you have one or three chalk lines. If you?re interested in doing more bench reps or increasing you max bench, then there had better be only one line. If there?s more than one line, your technique is off and you?re expending too much energy.

9. Rep test?225: I?ve seen very few who can train for and do this test in a high arched position. The tension is too long and the reps are too high to maintain this position without cramping in the lower back and/or hamstrings.

10. Rep test?225: Count the reps down, not up. Instead of counting 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5, start at what you would like to do and count back: 43, 42, 41, and so on. Better yet?count in groups of ten: 10, 9, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1 and then 10, 9, 8, 7, and so on. It?s even better if you can get someone to count for you. This is a mind game just as much as it is a physical game.

11. Rep test?225: Stick-UM on the bottom of your shoes will help big time. Or make sure that there?s no way your feet will slip when you use leg drive.

12. Rep test?225: Use your leg drive like gears. Start with enough drive to stay stable. Then increase the tension and drive with about five reps before you would normally die out. This should happen a few reps before you begin pulling in or out on the bar.

13. Rep test?225: If your technique is great, train all your endurance bench work with a fat bar. This will make the regular bar feel like a twig when you go back to it. There are also physical reasons for this, but the metal ones far out weigh them.

14. Rep test?225: Never hold the bar at the top for more than 1?2 seconds and only after a series of ten or more reps.

15. Rep test?225: Learn to only press with the required amount of force per rep. You would not sprint for a mile, would you? The same holds true with the rep test. Don?t expend more energy then needed. You will need it later.

16. Rep test?225: Try to keep yourself down, not crunched up with your chin in your chest. This test requires oxygen to get the maximal number of reps. This practice has helped and may help with a one rep max, but this is only one rep, not 20 plus reps.

17. Rep test?225: Unlike with a one rep max or all other bench strength work, don?t use a super tight grip on the bar. Grasp the bar with enough force to control it and keep it there until the last few reps. Then squeeze the crap out of the bar.

18. Rep test?225: When you discover where you fail from, add in some extra work for that specific area at a 20 percent higher time range than your bench fail time. For example, if your bench fail time is 42 seconds and your triceps are what fail on you, add in one set per session of three-board presses at 50 seconds. If you can?t do all the reps for this time, do what you can and statically hold the weight at midpoint for the rest of the time.

19. Rep test?225: Focus your eyes on one main point on the ceiling and don?t deviate from it. Why? Next time you?re in the gym with beginner or intermediate lifters, watch what they do when the reps get hard. They always look to one arm or the other. Then one arm begins to give out. This may be before they looked at it or after. It doesn?t matter. What matters is that they acknowledged it and let it defeat them. Remember this is a MENTAL game and every rep counts.

20. Rep test?225: As the last line of 50 stated, make every rep count. It?s your own fault and a waste of your effort to do a rep that isn?t legal and doesn?t count. Do them ALL correctly.

these are some great thoughts guys, although I still haven’t found a template for training. I checked out defrancos website and all l I found was a bunch of youtube vids showcasing his athletes. If someone could post a link to defrancos template that would be appreciated.

also, what is a one board press for those of us unfamiliar with the movement?

[quote]Schlenkatank wrote:
also, what is a one board press for those of us unfamiliar with the movement?[/quote]

asp.elitefts.com/qa/default.asp?qid=40247&tid=102

i’ve seen good results with;

• high rep chain bench (this will help a bit with SPEEd, if you can increase your speed only slightly, then you will gain a few more reps before you hit the wall)

• high rep bench with an 5-10 second iso at the bottom (to give you more pop out of the bottom)

so for you;

225 + 40-80 lb. chain x MAX REP

and you could use 225 for the holds also…

peace

[quote]Schlenkatank wrote:
This is a post for collegiate/high school football players or other weightlifters who use the 225 bench press for reps as a measure of strength. I am a collegiate football player trying to increase my 225 bench press and Im looking for a program to do so.

A quick snapshot of my lifts right now:
1RMax: 380
225 for reps: 23

Please include set/rep schemes with weight’s in addition to any supporting exercises. [/quote]

When Im training for a specific goal I change my training to meet that upcoming challenge so that by the day of competition im peaking in w/e that challenge may require whether it be endurance, speed, strength, agility, etc.

Work with more than the weight you plan on repping for higher reps with not as much rest between sets maybe something like 270 x 10 x 4 at 45 seconds rest?

The more you train using exercises and reps/ rest combos that are close to your goal the better your gonna get at it. Simple as that. Like if you training for the 400m you train the 500m so the 400m seems like nothing when you run it. Same idea^

What college, position, stats, etc?

[quote]cutthoat25 wrote:
take a look at Joe DeFranco’s template, its a hybrid of the conjugate method. probably the best out there for sports/combine training. also hit the triceps hard, promise it makes a huge difference! not tricep pulldowns or anything like that, but closegrip bench, throat crushers, rolling triceps, heavy dips, etc. i follow this template and blow up the tri’s and my bench continues to go up in 1rm, 3rm, and 225 for reps.[/quote]

Still looking for the link to this template, but so far very good tips all around.

[quote]
The more you train using exercises and reps/ rest combos that are close to your goal the better your gonna get at it. Simple as that. Like if you training for the 400m you train the 500m so the 400m seems like nothing when you run it. Same idea^

What college, position, stats, etc? [/quote]

Thanks for the tip, i’m sure this is very similar to the defranco template.

All right, so I’m still a senior in high school but I play College Football. I am enrolled in a prep school called Bridgton Academy which offers some of the most competitive athletics in the country ranging from Football to Basketball.

Just as an example, our Basketball team beat the top rated high school in the country.
Our football team plays different College J.V. programs Ranging from Boston College to Harvard.
T
his year I started for Bridgton at Defensive End and led the team in sacks until I developed Planar Fasciatis. I declined pursuing 1A schools and I will be attending either D1AA Lafayette or D3 Ithaca.

Weight: 230
height: 6’2"
40 time: 4.68 hand timed last august

www.defrancostraining.com/articles.html