T Nation

Increasing 225 Bench Reps

Hi guys…Im new to the forums…

I was wondering what is the best way to go about incresing your 225 reps??

I heard its only good to train for bench…once a week…but anyway. I just recently started working out again after a 7 month layoff due to not having a membership…I spent that time sprinting and stuff but still…before I went 7 months with out lifting I could do 226 six times.

This isnt my whole workout(Just my chest/tri routine)

Mondays

Bench Press- 8/x3
DB Floor Presses-5/x5
Skull Crushers- 8/x3

Thursdays

Incline Bench-8/x3
DB Presses on swiss ball- 5/x5
Tricep Pushdowns- 4/x6

Im confused. is that first bench 8 sets of 3? If so, you need a much higher rep count and in general you need higher volume to reach your goal. You should be able to get flat bench work in at least twice a week and ideally as much as 3 times every 8 days. I would try and set up a system where you’re keeping you reps on your flat bench work sets above 5 and as much as 10, and go for a total rep range per work sets of 50+

First off, get off a bodypart split type workout. Go for an upper lower split. You need to up your max strength to increase your max reps at 225. Take a look at this:http://www.higher-faster-sports.com/highfrequencybenching.html

Work to get stronger on bench period. I would suggest hitting chest twice per week. For instance on Monday work towards getting stronger with heavier weight for lower reps. Hopefully you are working out with a partner so you can push past failure. Then on Friday (after three recovery days for chest) you can work on reps with 225. Again with a partner so that you can push past, with assistance, your usual stalling point. Bottom line is to get stronger. If you can hit 250 for eight or ten you should be banging 225 for twelve to fifteen.

D

Why concerned with your bench? I think you should be more concerned with your squat because you’re a footballer.

[quote]robo1 wrote:
Im confused. is that first bench 8 sets of 3? If so, you need a much higher rep count and in general you need higher volume to reach your goal. You should be able to get flat bench work in at least twice a week and ideally as much as 3 times every 8 days. I would try and set up a system where you’re keeping you reps on your flat bench work sets above 5 and as much as 10, and go for a total rep range per work sets of 50+[/quote]

Yeah I read up that strength training for heavy weights should be low reps.

[quote]AlexM wrote:
First off, get off a bodypart split type workout. Go for an upper lower split. You need to up your max strength to increase your max reps at 225. Take a look at this:http://www.higher-faster-sports.com/highfrequencybenching.html

[/quote]

Thx for that website.

[quote]Dedicated wrote:
Work to get stronger on bench period. I would suggest hitting chest twice per week. For instance on Monday work towards getting stronger with heavier weight for lower reps. Hopefully you are working out with a partner so you can push past failure. Then on Friday (after three recovery days for chest) you can work on reps with 225. Again with a partner so that you can push past, with assistance, your usual stalling point. Bottom line is to get stronger. If you can hit 250 for eight or ten you should be banging 225 for twelve to fifteen.

D[/quote]

I work out by myself but I have no problems asking someone in the gym to spot me at times.

Okay I understand what you saying about the stronger you are…that makes sense because usually after I try 225…I drop back down to 185 and it feels crazy light.

[quote]undeadlift wrote:
Why concerned with your bench? I think you should be more concerned with your squat because you’re a footballer.[/quote]

My squat is pretty high…and I usaully do box squats.

I need to get my bench reps of 225 up because that is what college coaches and combines test for.

[quote]NFLBound wrote:
undeadlift wrote:
Why concerned with your bench? I think you should be more concerned with your squat because you’re a footballer.

My squat is pretty high…and I usaully do box squats.

I need to get my bench reps of 225 up because that is what college coaches and combines test for.[/quote]

http://www.defrancostraining.com/

He has some great stuff and he addresses the 225 bench test. Spend a lot of time reading his site.

[quote]Zap Branigan wrote:
NFLBound wrote:
undeadlift wrote:
Why concerned with your bench? I think you should be more concerned with your squat because you’re a footballer.

My squat is pretty high…and I usaully do box squats.

I need to get my bench reps of 225 up because that is what college coaches and combines test for.

http://www.defrancostraining.com/

He has some great stuff and he addresses the 225 bench test. Spend a lot of time reading his site.[/quote]

Oh yeah I love his tarining methods…He says to go heavy…the heavy your bench the easier225 will be…which makes sense…my prob is…what program do I do to set that up…rep/set wise.

Sounds like you have already gotten some good advice here. I would also recommend using bands with lower weight once a week to work on explosiveness off of the chest. 135 or 185 with bands 5x5 will help you find a good groove and be over 225 at lock out. Then, go to failure on a sixth set. After a few weeks, 225 will feel like you are pressing the bare bar.

Also if you are not doing them, add in some pull-ups with weights. This will increase your overall upper body strength much like the squat does for your lower body.

[quote]shieldss wrote:
Sounds like you have already gotten some good advice here. I would also recommend using bands with lower weight once a week to work on explosiveness off of the chest. 135 or 185 with bands 5x5 will help you find a good groove and be over 225 at lock out. Then, go to failure on a sixth set. After a few weeks, 225 will feel like you are pressing the bare bar.

Also if you are not doing them, add in some pull-ups with weights. This will increase your overall upper body strength much like the squat does for your lower body.[/quote]

Okay thank you…Ive gotten alot real helpful advice.

The 225 rep test is not a strength endurance test, it is a speed strength test. It’s all about how many reps you can do in about 40 sec. You will build up too much lactic acid after that time to complete any more repetitions. So, you need to increase your max strength in order to make 225 pounds the lowest possible percentage of your 1RM. In conjunction with that, you need to work on performing the most number of reps in the shortest amount of time.

[quote]NFLBound wrote:
Zap Branigan wrote:
NFLBound wrote:
undeadlift wrote:
Why concerned with your bench? I think you should be more concerned with your squat because you’re a footballer.

My squat is pretty high…and I usaully do box squats.

I need to get my bench reps of 225 up because that is what college coaches and combines test for.

http://www.defrancostraining.com/

He has some great stuff and he addresses the 225 bench test. Spend a lot of time reading his site.

Oh yeah I love his tarining methods…He says to go heavy…the heavy your bench the easier225 will be…which makes sense…my prob is…what program do I do to set that up…rep/set wise.

[/quote]

West Side for Skinny Bastards has a good rep/set scheme for athletes. He has a good write up on it.

[quote]Magnar wrote:
The 225 rep test is not a strength endurance test, it is a speed strength test. It’s all about how many reps you can do in about 40 sec. You will build up too much lactic acid after that time to complete any more repetitions. So, you need to increase your max strength in order to make 225 pounds the lowest possible percentage of your 1RM. In conjunction with that, you need to work on performing the most number of reps in the shortest amount of time.[/quote]

Wow that makes so much sense man…thanks…I never looked at the test like that…but your right in about 40 seconds or so youll be spent…Thanks man.

Yes, Max strength must be improved. The one time i trained for the rep test with high reps at 225, my count went way down.

I went back to focusing on max strength, and I hit a PR.

[quote]IL Cazzo wrote:
Yes, Max strength must be improved. The one time i trained for the rep test with high reps at 225, my count went way down.

I went back to focusing on max strength, and I hit a PR.[/quote]

Okay gotcha.