Increasing 1rm with 5/3/1

So this week will be my second testing week of 5/3/1. So far I always go atleast 3 reps more than my goal on my last set. Should I up the weight for the next cycle by double? Or should I stick with where I am and keep going past my rep goals and it will eventually catch up to me? I can post my lifts for each day so far if needed

What does “second testing week” mean?

You should follow the program exactly as written.

Sorry I meant I’m in the second cycle on the third week (5/3/1 week). It just seems like I could put more weight on the bar and still get the prescribed reps. What do people usually get for their last set? I mean if I’m supposed to get 1 rep and I’m getting 5 should I go up?

[quote]bulkNcut wrote:
Sorry I meant I’m in the second cycle on the third week (5/3/1 week). It just seems like I could put more weight on the bar and still get the prescribed reps. What do people usually get for their last set? I mean if I’m supposed to get 1 rep and I’m getting 5 should I go up? [/quote]

Have you read the book?, because this is explain many times in there.

Short answer is.: Yes you are suppose to get more than the prescribed reps. 5 reps on the 5/3/1 week sounds right, so just stick to the program( meaning you should increase your maxes with no more than 2,5kg for upperbody lifts and no more than 5kg for lowerbody lifts pr cycle ). Remember that a big part of the program is to set and break rep records.

Here is some 5/3/1 articles and threads that might be helpfull to you:

Hope that will be helpfull for you.

Ps. The search function is a wonderfull thing :wink:

[quote]bulkNcut wrote:
Sorry I meant I’m in the second cycle on the third week (5/3/1 week). It just seems like I could put more weight on the bar and still get the prescribed reps. What do people usually get for their last set? I mean if I’m supposed to get 1 rep and I’m getting 5 should I go up? [/quote]

Read those articles above, and read the book at least 3 times through. It makes no sense to me for someone to commit to a training program if they do not understand it.

In short, do not add more than 5/10 pounds to your training maxes per cycle. The entire philosophy of 5/3/1 is built on starting light and progressing slowly.

Also, you are not “supposed” to get 1 rep. 1 rep is the minimum. You can and should be able to get more reps than this.

Thanks for the replies guys. I admit I haven’t read the book, and I also admit that is dumb. I’m looking to pick it up soon though. I’ll look through those articles/threads too. I knew you were supposed to get more reps I just didn’t know if there was a cutoff point where you should be lifting heavier weights. Once again I realize I should read the book and I will but thanks for the responses they were helpful