Increased Workload and Tendonitis

Since I started SWF and beta-alanine I’ve been having a few bouts with tendonitis in my elbows and a few strained muscles(actually the same muscle in my back, twice). I chalk this up with some intense lifting combined with an ability to increase the workload(thanks to SWF and BA), while being on a low carb diet.

It’s possibly since I’ve been losing fat, that I might not have been getting the nutrients I need to keep healthy ligaments, joints, etc(despite using fish oil).

SWF and BA are definately doing their job, however, my training is getting railed way to much with these injuries. I’m going on some glucosamine supplements soon to see if that will allow me to keep on workin’ through this.

My question is, when you guys start taking a supplement that allows for a greater workload(SWF,BA,creatine,etc), how do you get your body to adapt to the extra work in terms of stress on joints and recovery?

This cutting cycle is proving to be my first truly successful one(lost probably 2.5 inches off my waist since I started in January), and also the most frustrating because of the injuries.

Stretched my biceps this morning and my elbow felt alot better. The upper forarm, just under the elbow wasn’t tender at all. Then I tried to grip something in a way that would normally hurt…it hurt a little. Tenderness came back a bit. Then I stretched the bicep again, and the tenderness/pain went away again.

Do you guys think this is just overly tight biceps/triceps?

Stretched my biceps this morning and my elbow felt alot better. The upper forarm, just under the elbow wasn’t tender at all. Then I tried to grip something in a way that would normally hurt…it hurt a little. Tenderness came back a bit. Then I stretched the bicep again, and the tenderness/pain went away again.

Do you guys think this is just overly tight biceps/triceps?

You could have a lot of different things, from tendinitis all the way to a compressed nerve in your forearm. Try taking a few days off from lifting and ice the areas that hurt. Take a few ibuprofen as well.

When you start lifting again, go lighter and do a ton of reps. This won’t add much strength to your muscles, but your tendons will get much stronger. Do this for a few weeks and put a little more emphasis on moves that hit your arms with all sorts of different planes of movement.

As for your back, fuck, it could have tweaked from anything. Poor form on a squat or deadlift, poor hip mobility, not warmed up enough, etc etc.

To stay pain free in your joints, take a week off every 6 weeks or so and go lighter or do less sets. And in general, do more mobility work for your scapula, hips, and knees.

[quote]artw wrote:
You could have a lot of different things, from tendinitis all the way to a compressed nerve in your forearm. Try taking a few days off from lifting and ice the areas that hurt. Take a few ibuprofen as well.

When you start lifting again, go lighter and do a ton of reps. This won’t add much strength to your muscles, but your tendons will get much stronger. Do this for a few weeks and put a little more emphasis on moves that hit your arms with all sorts of different planes of movement.

As for your back, fuck, it could have tweaked from anything. Poor form on a squat or deadlift, poor hip mobility, not warmed up enough, etc etc.

To stay pain free in your joints, take a week off every 6 weeks or so and go lighter or do less sets. And in general, do more mobility work for your scapula, hips, and knees.[/quote]

Thanks for the feedback! I was thinking about doing a light load with tons of reps, but I didn’t know if that would tax the ligaments as much as low reps with heavy weight. I’m definately willing to try.

Since I’m cutting I really wanna do some form of lifting while try and rehab the sore spots, to keep progressing.