Increased Mobility

I have been implementing a lot of mobility stuff as of recently, into my modified WS4SBIII program in order to fix my Anterior Pelvic tilt and some other postural problems.

On Upper body days, I usually do the more general upper body mobility stuff together with some static stretches.

On Lower body days, I do a ton of exercises:

Pre-Workout:

A1. Rectus Femoris Stretch
A2. Glute Bridges
B1. Piriformis Stretch
B2. Lying Clams

Post-workout:
Knee hugs, Pull-back butt kicks, warrior lunges, running butt kicks, cross over reverse lunges, cradle walks, leg swings, roll over into v-seats, fire hydrant circles, mountain climbers, groiners, planks, bird dogs, prone scorpions. (I usually do more than half of them).

Thing is I am really trying to fix my Anterior Pelvic Tilt because it’s been giving me a super big ass, a protruding stomach and lately some of my friends claim I am doing the shit-walk…

Now to my problem. I have actually been feeling an improvement postural wise allover my body, but my shoulders, elbows, knees and hip sockets are doing some really brutal cracking sounds. I mean it’s not painful but it’s very uncomfortable.

Are the joints supposed to make loud sounds when you are trying to correct imbalances and postural problems? Is this a result of all the corrective exercises? Or perhaps because of the fact that I always like to lift heavy?

I haven’t been to the gym for the last 2 weeks nor have I trained MMA where a lot of isometric training is occurring during our grappling sessions. And the sounds are worse than ever?

[quote]Asoss wrote:

Are the joints supposed to make loud sounds when you are trying to correct imbalances and postural problems? Is this a result of all the corrective exercises?

[/quote]

I did quite an intense postural/balance program, but my joints never got any louder.

Crepitus can mean a lot of things, could be a tendon sliding over a bony structure, could be bone on bone action, could simply be gas moving around in the soft tissue. What do you mean by not painful but it’s really uncomfortable? If something hurts, it’s time to back off. Static stretching can be particularly inflammatory if you over do it, especially if you are unintentionally stretching ligamentous tissue instead of the muscles.

All the clicking and cracking doesn’t really cause me pain but its discomforting in that sense that it’s making me a bit worried.

I’ve always thought that when you perform corrective/mobility exercises in order to improve posture, you are strengthening your weak muscles right? This probably corrects your postural alignment? So in that regard, could the cracking be a result of things sliding into position?

[quote]Asoss wrote:
I have been implementing a lot of mobility stuff as of recently, into my modified WS4SBIII program in order to fix my Anterior Pelvic tilt and some other postural problems.

On Upper body days, I usually do the more general upper body mobility stuff together with some static stretches.

On Lower body days, I do a ton of exercises:

Pre-Workout:

A1. Rectus Femoris Stretch
A2. Glute Bridges
B1. Piriformis Stretch
B2. Lying Clams

Post-workout:
Knee hugs, Pull-back butt kicks, warrior lunges, running butt kicks, cross over reverse lunges, cradle walks, leg swings, roll over into v-seats, fire hydrant circles, mountain climbers, groiners, planks, bird dogs, prone scorpions. (I usually do more than half of them).

Thing is I am really trying to fix my Anterior Pelvic Tilt because it’s been giving me a super big ass, a protruding stomach and lately some of my friends claim I am doing the shit-walk…

Now to my problem. I have actually been feeling an improvement postural wise allover my body, but my shoulders, elbows, knees and hip sockets are doing some really brutal cracking sounds. I mean it’s not painful but it’s very uncomfortable.

Are the joints supposed to make loud sounds when you are trying to correct imbalances and postural problems? Is this a result of all the corrective exercises? Or perhaps because of the fact that I always like to lift heavy?

I haven’t been to the gym for the last 2 weeks nor have I trained MMA where a lot of isometric training is occurring during our grappling sessions. And the sounds are worse than ever?
[/quote]

I got a picture took of me the other week after training, when I looked at the picture I realised my abs were forcing out, like a bodybuilders sometimes do. Protuding stomach been the technical term, so looks like I have the same thing.

And my hips feel sore too much for my liking as well as clicking, my shoulders click quite a bit as well. I always thought the shoulders were like that because off too much pressing compared to pulling, but I pull just as much now.

OooahhhCANTONA: Make sure it’s not a simple matter of you being bloated or having to much subcutaneous fat.
People with S-shaped posture tend to have Lordosis which is what I have. There are two types: Anterior Pelvic Tilt and Posterior Pelvic tilt.

I really recommend you read this article: Strength Training, Bodybuilding & Online Supplement Store - T NATION

and the Neanderthal series written by the same author. You should also do the exercises that I outlined in my first post.

Best of luck=)

I’ve read the article, any more clues to find out if I have it?

I wasn;t bloated and I have a low amount of body fat, visible abs easily…so I don’t know why my abs stick out.

Did you do the 20 second test? The one where you stand with your back against a wall, raise your knee to about 90 degrees and keep it in that position for 20 seconds? It’s in the article so I guess you should try it.

Basically just look at yourself in the mirror and try to compare with pictures of other people with ATP. You should also have weakened hip flexor muscles, especially in the psoas area. Basically means that you have a hard time firing your glutes which means weak squat and trouble locking the deadlift.

I usually have a hard time getting “out of the hole” during the Squat, and my lower back tends to overcompensate when I’m locking out the weight during a heavy deadlift session. I naturally have a big squatters ass so this extra anterior tilt is only making things worse :stuck_out_tongue:

It’s quite common among the majority of athletes so in any case you shouldn’t be worried.