T Nation

Increased Leptin Battle

I have a question for those who are well versed in Leptin.

I’ve been eating hard for the past few months, and my body always fights me when I get into the 210lb range. I recently hit 212lbs, followed by a drop down to 205lbs, and am now experiencing an absolute loss of appetite. The meals I used to eat regularly are seeming like mountains of food, and my hunger has dropped off the map.

I should note again that my body has never agreed with being in the 210lb range, and I’ve hit this wall probably 3 or 4 times now in total over the years.

Do you feel the culprit is elevated Leptin levels due to my body doing anything it can to keep me from packing on more pounds?

I should also note that I’ve been training seriously for over a decade and my level of lean mass is very close to my genetic limit as a natural.

Thanks to all who read and reply,

Ryan

[quote]2020Wellness wrote:
I have a question for those who are well versed in Leptin.

I’ve been eating hard for the past few months, and my body always fights me when I get into the 210lb range. I recently hit 212lbs, followed by a drop down to 205lbs, and am now experiencing an absolute loss of appetite. The meals I used to eat regularly are seeming like mountains of food, and my hunger has dropped off the map.

I should note again that my body has never agreed with being in the 210lb range, and I’ve hit this wall probably 3 or 4 times now in total over the years.

Do you feel the culprit is elevated Leptin levels due to my body doing anything it can to keep me from packing on more pounds?

I should also note that I’ve been training seriously for over a decade and my level of lean mass is very close to my genetic limit as a natural.

Thanks to all who read and reply,

Ryan[/quote]

It could have to do with leptin. It could be entirely mental…

It’s very hard for me to read these kinds of questions because it creates a pretty decent response of envy on my part. I’m constantly hungry no matter how much or what I eat…no matter the quantity. Up until the point of complete abdominal distention…I still want more.

The above situation may also be a case of leptin due to dieting down too hard for too long on my part…Now, my relationship with food and my ability to get full is all fucked up. I tend to think it’s partially psychological and partially due to hormonal response i.e. leptin.

I couldn’t tell you for sure…

[quote]facko wrote:

[quote]2020Wellness wrote:
I have a question for those who are well versed in Leptin.

I’ve been eating hard for the past few months, and my body always fights me when I get into the 210lb range. I recently hit 212lbs, followed by a drop down to 205lbs, and am now experiencing an absolute loss of appetite. The meals I used to eat regularly are seeming like mountains of food, and my hunger has dropped off the map.

I should note again that my body has never agreed with being in the 210lb range, and I’ve hit this wall probably 3 or 4 times now in total over the years.

Do you feel the culprit is elevated Leptin levels due to my body doing anything it can to keep me from packing on more pounds?

I should also note that I’ve been training seriously for over a decade and my level of lean mass is very close to my genetic limit as a natural.

Thanks to all who read and reply,

Ryan[/quote]

It could have to do with leptin. It could be entirely mental…

It’s very hard for me to read these kinds of questions because it creates a pretty decent response of envy on my part. I’m constantly hungry no matter how much or what I eat…no matter the quantity. Up until the point of complete abdominal distention…I still want more.

The above situation may also be a case of leptin due to dieting down too hard for too long on my part…Now, my relationship with food and my ability to get full is all fucked up. I tend to think it’s partially psychological and partially due to hormonal response i.e. leptin.

I couldn’t tell you for sure…[/quote]

I really don’t think it’s mental, as this happens repeatedly and I don’t have a problem sticking to a plan and approach psychologically. It’s a physical feeling, not a mental road block.

For example, I’ve been having the same breakfast for months. Once I made it up to that 210lb area, all of a sudden I’m virtually unable to finish breakfast, as I feel physically full and almost sick as I’m working on eating it. The only thing that’s changed is my body reaching that mark where I always run into trouble.

One thing I may have to do is change up my macros and rely on fat more so than carbs to be my variant when playing with calories. That’ll be my next approach most likely.

[quote]2020Wellness wrote:

[quote]facko wrote:

[quote]2020Wellness wrote:
I have a question for those who are well versed in Leptin.

I’ve been eating hard for the past few months, and my body always fights me when I get into the 210lb range. I recently hit 212lbs, followed by a drop down to 205lbs, and am now experiencing an absolute loss of appetite. The meals I used to eat regularly are seeming like mountains of food, and my hunger has dropped off the map.

I should note again that my body has never agreed with being in the 210lb range, and I’ve hit this wall probably 3 or 4 times now in total over the years.

Do you feel the culprit is elevated Leptin levels due to my body doing anything it can to keep me from packing on more pounds?

I should also note that I’ve been training seriously for over a decade and my level of lean mass is very close to my genetic limit as a natural.

Thanks to all who read and reply,

Ryan[/quote]

It could have to do with leptin. It could be entirely mental…

It’s very hard for me to read these kinds of questions because it creates a pretty decent response of envy on my part. I’m constantly hungry no matter how much or what I eat…no matter the quantity. Up until the point of complete abdominal distention…I still want more.

The above situation may also be a case of leptin due to dieting down too hard for too long on my part…Now, my relationship with food and my ability to get full is all fucked up. I tend to think it’s partially psychological and partially due to hormonal response i.e. leptin.

I couldn’t tell you for sure…[/quote]

I really don’t think it’s mental, as this happens repeatedly and I don’t have a problem sticking to a plan and approach psychologically. It’s a physical feeling, not a mental road block.

For example, I’ve been having the same breakfast for months. Once I made it up to that 210lb area, all of a sudden I’m virtually unable to finish breakfast, as I feel physically full and almost sick as I’m working on eating it. The only thing that’s changed is my body reaching that mark where I always run into trouble.

One thing I may have to do is change up my macros and rely on fat more so than carbs to be my variant when playing with calories. That’ll be my next approach most likely.
[/quote]

Yes…as you well know…9kcal/g for fat…significantly more calories per bite. Plus…most added fat comes in liquid form i.e. oils… Shouldn’t be difficult.

I do notice that if I eat less carbs for the bulk of my surplus and more fats…I don’t get the same pumps and just don’t look as full as I normally do…

[quote]facko wrote:

[quote]2020Wellness wrote:

[quote]facko wrote:

[quote]2020Wellness wrote:
I have a question for those who are well versed in Leptin.

I’ve been eating hard for the past few months, and my body always fights me when I get into the 210lb range. I recently hit 212lbs, followed by a drop down to 205lbs, and am now experiencing an absolute loss of appetite. The meals I used to eat regularly are seeming like mountains of food, and my hunger has dropped off the map.

I should note again that my body has never agreed with being in the 210lb range, and I’ve hit this wall probably 3 or 4 times now in total over the years.

Do you feel the culprit is elevated Leptin levels due to my body doing anything it can to keep me from packing on more pounds?

I should also note that I’ve been training seriously for over a decade and my level of lean mass is very close to my genetic limit as a natural.

Thanks to all who read and reply,

Ryan[/quote]

It could have to do with leptin. It could be entirely mental…

It’s very hard for me to read these kinds of questions because it creates a pretty decent response of envy on my part. I’m constantly hungry no matter how much or what I eat…no matter the quantity. Up until the point of complete abdominal distention…I still want more.

The above situation may also be a case of leptin due to dieting down too hard for too long on my part…Now, my relationship with food and my ability to get full is all fucked up. I tend to think it’s partially psychological and partially due to hormonal response i.e. leptin.

I couldn’t tell you for sure…[/quote]

I really don’t think it’s mental, as this happens repeatedly and I don’t have a problem sticking to a plan and approach psychologically. It’s a physical feeling, not a mental road block.

For example, I’ve been having the same breakfast for months. Once I made it up to that 210lb area, all of a sudden I’m virtually unable to finish breakfast, as I feel physically full and almost sick as I’m working on eating it. The only thing that’s changed is my body reaching that mark where I always run into trouble.

One thing I may have to do is change up my macros and rely on fat more so than carbs to be my variant when playing with calories. That’ll be my next approach most likely.
[/quote]

Yes…as you well know…9kcal/g for fat…significantly more calories per bite. Plus…most added fat comes in liquid form i.e. oils… Shouldn’t be difficult.

I do notice that if I eat less carbs for the bulk of my surplus and more fats…I don’t get the same pumps and just don’t look as full as I normally do…[/quote]

I don’t care about the immediate effects of carbs, such as the pump and fullness. I care about the big picture, as I know I can always carb up. Plus, I’ll still be putting down 400-500g of carbs per day.

Thanks for the post.

It certainly could be leptin but if you are as lean as you say it your leptin levels should techniacally be higher and signaling your body to eat.

If you are close to your gentic leanes then I have no idea why you dont really boost your calories up via fats as you seem to have problems putting down the needed calories. Starting adding PB and oils to everything you eat at everymeal. Have a shake to wash down your food and add some oil and PB to that.

Dunno why you are trying to hover at that lean and gain mass.

[quote]ryanbCXG wrote:
It certainly could be leptin but if you are as lean as you say it your leptin levels should techniacally be higher and signaling your body to eat.

If you are close to your gentic leanes then I have no idea why you dont really boost your calories up via fats as you seem to have problems putting down the needed calories. Starting adding PB and oils to everything you eat at everymeal. Have a shake to wash down your food and add some oil and PB to that.

Dunno why you are trying to hover at that lean and gain mass.[/quote]

Who said anything about being super lean? I said genetic limit for lean mass, or something of that nature. I’m probably 15% body fat right now.

Sorry i misunderstodd. I thought you were talking genetic level of leanness that could be held.

This is random theory based on lots of reading and will probably sound insane but the physiology is there if you want to dig in a bit. Also it seems backwards

But if your body really is not willing to push past this. Try throwing in a day or two of partial or complete fasting. Hypothetically it will throw your body into a state of catabolism which actually will activate protein synthesis and some anabolic responses because your body does not want to waste away. Then the day after the partial or complete fast you should be very primed for some extra growth. YOur body will have some elevated protein synthesis and will more efficiently move calories to the muscles.

Just a thought if nothing else is working. Could try it for a couple weeks and monitor progress.

Also do you have a current pic?

wellness I would try Betaine HCL. When bulking hard I find it helps with digestion and allowing me to get hungrier sooner.

Also make sure the foods you are eating are paltable. For instance last night I finished my dinner (400g chicken (uncooked weight, 250g rice (uncooked weight), 1/3 pineapple, 50g skittles (yes skittles!) this normally completely stuffs me for the next few hours. I knew I needed more food so I went for some ice cream. If I had tried to add the same amount of carbs from more rice it just would not have happened.

FWIW

[quote]Gl;itch.e wrote:
Also make sure the foods you are eating are paltable. For instance last night I finished my dinner (400g chicken (uncooked weight, 250g rice (uncooked weight), 1/3 pineapple, 50g skittles (yes skittles!) this normally completely stuffs me for the next few hours. I knew I needed more food so I went for some ice cream. If I had tried to add the same amount of carbs from more rice it just would not have happened. [/quote]

Along the same lines get some variety. Above it sounded like you were eating the same thing day in and day out?

Also try giving easy fasted morning cardio a shot. Usually helps hunger with hunger issues.

[quote]MAF14 wrote:
Along the same lines get some variety. Above it sounded like you were eating the same thing day in and day out?[/quote]
You must be joking MAF14, haven’t you seen the OP’s cooking thread? He has reinvented the wheel with such classics as turkey sandwich with cheese and pasta with meat & sauce.

If a guy decides he is at his genetic limit then he is, period.

Reminds me of the 4 minute mile barrier.

[quote]JLone wrote:

[quote]MAF14 wrote:
Along the same lines get some variety. Above it sounded like you were eating the same thing day in and day out?[/quote]
You must be joking MAF14, haven’t you seen the OP’s cooking thread? He has reinvented the wheel with such classics as turkey sandwich with cheese and pasta with meat & sauce.

If a guy decides he is at his genetic limit then he is, period.

Reminds me of the 4 minute mile barrier. [/quote]

Interesting post. Please post in my threads more often :slight_smile:

[quote]MAF14 wrote:

[quote]Gl;itch.e wrote:
Also make sure the foods you are eating are paltable. For instance last night I finished my dinner (400g chicken (uncooked weight, 250g rice (uncooked weight), 1/3 pineapple, 50g skittles (yes skittles!) this normally completely stuffs me for the next few hours. I knew I needed more food so I went for some ice cream. If I had tried to add the same amount of carbs from more rice it just would not have happened. [/quote]

Along the same lines get some variety. Above it sounded like you were eating the same thing day in and day out?

Also try giving easy fasted morning cardio a shot. Usually helps hunger with hunger issues.[/quote]

I wouldn’t say I’m eating the same thing day in and day out, but I do tend to eat the same breakfast over and over. I do mix up my carb and protein sources when possible. However, it’s much easier to keep my food choices limited for convenience.

It’s not that I’m bored with my food, it’s that I’m just not feeling the appetite I was before.

I do believe you may be able to use a fast to crank your appetite to super human levels as was mentioned earlier. Then during that time use as many liquid calories as possible. Also in conjunction with training designed to deplete your glycogen as much as possible.

[quote]Gumpshmee wrote:
I do believe you may be able to use a fast to crank your appetite to super human levels as was mentioned earlier. Then during that time use as many liquid calories as possible. Also in conjunction with training designed to deplete your glycogen as much as possible.[/quote]

Care to elaborate on the need for glycogen depletion training?

High reps volume will signal your body to really store those calories as muscle glycogen.

Honestly brother you are probably at your genetic limit as you said. I’ve never believed in force-feeding leading to increased muscle mass, in fact I think it is counter-productive.

How big, at your current level of leanness, do you think you can become naturally?

Also, a current picture would certainly help.

[quote]ryanbCXG wrote:
High reps volume will signal your body to really store those calories as muscle glycogen.[/quote]

I currently cycle between 4-6, 10-12, and 18-20 reps on a weekly basis, so I’m getting my fill of high rep training currently.

[quote]Proud_Virgin wrote:
Honestly brother you are probably at your genetic limit as you said. I’ve never believed in force-feeding leading to increased muscle mass, in fact I think it is counter-productive.

How big, at your current level of leanness, do you think you can become naturally?

Also, a current picture would certainly help.[/quote]

I think over the next 5 years, I can become 15lbs heavier than I am right now (210).

As far as a current picture, I took my avatar pic about a month ago I suppose.