Increased Aggression From Training?

[quote]MNguns wrote:
Has anyone experianced an increase in aggression, and think there might be a correlation to training??

I’m rarely an aggressive person. But I have noticed after a couple weeks of heavy training, just about anything will set me off.

I haven’t noticed this with maint. or hypertrophy training. But now I’m focusing on maximal weights, and this is when I notice it.

During a heavy training session I sometimes want to get in a fight. Even on my off days.

Anyone ever notice this?

Also my sex drive has been out of control.

And no I’m not on Alpha Male.[/quote]

I’ve noticed that whenever I get this way, it most often due to low blood sugar levels (I’m not diabetic). I try to assert my intellect (although it’s hard, when your aggression is high) and think back to what I’ve eaten before a workout and if it was sufficient to maintain my glucose levels during a workout. 99% of the time, that is the culprit, and I have to rein myself in despite how I feel.

After I get done with the workout, get some PWO food in me and think back to how I just got done feeling, it’s almost like it was another person that felt/acted that way.

This may/may not be your hot button, but it’s something to look into.

[quote]Devil0351Dog wrote:
beebuddy wrote:
““I would not get devil dog started if I were you. The last thing you want is a pissed off Marine in an agression thread. =D””

Hopefully he knows I was fucking with him on purpose. :slight_smile: Not that that shouldn’t piss him off.

It’s cool. I laughed out loud. But that’s why I stay out of the politics thread…my blood pressure SERIOUSLY goes up.

DD[/quote]

I think you’re a pussy AND the war in Iraq…sucks.

:slight_smile:

-Nate

[quote]beebuddy wrote:
Yea, that happened to me when I was about 22. I wish it still happened. :)[/quote]

haha ain’t that the truth

My guess is the original poster is young and just started lifting.

My advice is that is a good indicator you are doing things right.

If you were overtraining you would experience testosterone levels seemingly falling, I believe, perhaps output might be up but needs are elevated and there isn’t much energy left for aggression or libido.

So if you are feeling that way, you are probably working out at a good level.

Just my thoughts … everyone is different, of course.

[quote]Nate Green wrote:
Devil0351Dog wrote:
beebuddy wrote:
““I would not get devil dog started if I were you. The last thing you want is a pissed off Marine in an agression thread. =D””

Hopefully he knows I was fucking with him on purpose. :slight_smile: Not that that shouldn’t piss him off.

It’s cool. I laughed out loud. But that’s why I stay out of the politics thread…my blood pressure SERIOUSLY goes up.

DD

I think you’re a pussy AND the war in Iraq…sucks.

:slight_smile:

-Nate[/quote]

If you were close by I’d make fun of you for not being able to come to the bar and then I’d throw soap at you and order towels at 4am just to piss you off.

DD

[quote]Alex-P wrote:
Yes. I’ve always been agressive though. One of the main reasons I don’t have a lifting partner, I listen to my tunes and I toss myself into a rage just thinking. People tend to talk inbetween sets and I lose my intensity that way.
[/quote]

This describes me perfectly, and I’m 27. Holy shit if some dumbass tries to give me “advice” in the gym and makes me remove my headphones blasting death metal, it’s almost guaranteed that I’ll set a new PR shortly. I have a friend I’m planning on training with this summer, but sometimes I second guess that considering the results I get from me and my ipod working together.

The thing is I don’t it’s the workouts per se that increase aggression; it’s the fact that when I get mad as hell I can lift more and better. So (subconsciously sometimes) I cultivate an angry mood, I actually think about things to get me mad sometimes, then attack the squat rack.

I seem to be pissed off a lot. I thought maybe creatine had something to do with it. I never really thought that lifting weights could cause this, but maybe there is a link between them.

personally, i feel anger works against you, ive done they whole get mad and psyched up first, but i find if i meditate for a little, stare that weight down visualizing myslef lifting it i get much better results, more mental concentration i think

Sometimes when I feel beat down in the gym (going to faliure when not intended getting pinned on the bench \ squat etc , having lousy spotters ) I really wanna kill off every moving thing on my sight and eat lil kids

after heavy work my libido goes up madly too but I don’t want to beat things up

A lot of people still seem to misunderstand the relationship between training/lifting and testosterone levels. Everyone would like to believe, because it seems very manly and hardcore, that training increases your T-levels. In fact, the opposite is true, as several T-Nation contributors have pointed out. T-levels can be lowered for as much as 2 days after a training session.

This shouldn’t stop you from training, though. The slight and temporary lowering of testosterone is, of course, more than offset by the benefits that workout out provides.

[quote]PublickStews wrote:
This describes me perfectly, and I’m 27. Holy shit if some dumbass tries to give me “advice” in the gym and makes me remove my headphones blasting death metal, it’s almost guaranteed that I’ll set a new PR shortly. I have a friend I’m planning on training with this summer, but sometimes I second guess that considering the results I get from me and my ipod working together.[/quote]

I split the difference. I train 3 days with my partner, and 2 days without. I train with a partner for chest, back and legs. Alone for shoulders and arms. This way I can have my alone time with my ipod, and have a good partner for days when I need forced/spotted/motivated etc…

you guys think it makes you more aggressive? I think it has the opposite effect on me… If I were to miss a session i’d be seriously pissed off with myself, but after a good one, i just feel really happy…

You must all have shit workouts, obviously.