Increase Your Seated Military Press and Watch Your Bench Go Up

Disclaimer: This might not work as well for people with a narrow bench grip.

I found that cycling in seated military presses for about 5 to 6 weeks and focusing on hitting a new 1 to 3 rep max while keeping my flat benchpress on the back burner yields great results. I always hit a bench PR of some sort after doing this. I also found I can’t sustain heavy military pressing week after week hence why I don’t do them year round. What works best for you guys for increasing bench?

1 Like

How much do you bench?

Thick granite

what?

I’d be interested in trying this too, but would like to know more about your results - how much can you military press in relation to your bench and how much is your bench?

The first time I used this method about 2 years ago my military press was 170lb and my bench was 250lb. I got my military up to 205 and I soon after hit new bench pr of 285lb.

Nice man! How much can you hit seated vs standing?

I was trying to work my OHP for my bench and didn’t see a huge difference. My Standing OHP is poverty. Last year, I was OHPing 135x1 and hit 275, a few months ago, I built up to 145 for sets of 3, and hit 285.

I got teammates who say that OHP doesn’t have big carryover to Bench. I kinda see it that way for me, but I’m sure if I could OHP 315, benching way more than that would be easy.

make sure you do them seated. mimic bench grip and keep shoulder blades back still.

1 Like

I don’t do standing anymore