Increase Reps or Sets?

66 Year olde with a host of injuries, and a lifetime exerciser asks: When it appears that I am about maxed out with an exercise(squats), would it be better to simply increase reps, or add in another set?

My goal is longevity and good health.

Either works in that it increases volume, but I prefer adding diminished sets as it lets me rest. People tend to get hurt pushing for another rep, but another set is often safely do-able. This assumes you are not screwing around with your max, that is.

Good thought, thank you

since i do 5/3/1, i usually find that if I drop the weight and do higher reps for the same amount of sets, it works better for me. more volume like DCA says, but it lets the reps make you stronger instead of the weight. or something…

[quote]philipj wrote:
66 Year olde with a host of injuries, and a lifetime exerciser asks: When it appears that I am about maxed out with an exercise(squats), would it be better to simply increase reps, or add in another set?

My goal is longevity and good health.[/quote]

Hah, finally!, someone I might actually be stronger than…

I’m 47, and when I reach my targeted maxes with my personal 3 main lifts (squat, deadlift, and overhead press), I plan to “coast” with a maintenance type of schedule wrt lifting “heavy”.

At which point, for longevity and good health, I would start focusing more on stuff like barbell complexes, sled/prowler stuff, etc., also known as “good cardio”.