T Nation

Increase in Arm Size

Hi all

Do u really need to increase body weight to increase arm girth?

My answer to this is YES.Many including Ian King, Poliquin and others will say no.Ive tried many arm programs,eg-great guns etc
But recently ive put on 7 pounds and my arms have gone from 17.5 inch to 18.2 inch? trained arms axactly the same.6 sets for both bi’s and tri’s 2 exercises each.My arms always stayed the same size until i put on weight.

So do u guys find the same thing? i remember TC saying once that to increase arm girth by 1 inch u need to put on at least 15 pounds.

Thoughts?

Peace
HHH

[quote]HHH wrote:
Hi all

Do u really need to increase body weight to increase arm girth?

My answer to this is YES.Many including Ian King, Poliquin and others will say no.Ive tried many arm programs,eg-great guns etc
But recently ive put on 7 pounds and my arms have gone from 17.5 inch to 18.2 inch? trained arms axactly the same.6 sets for both bi’s and tri’s 2 exercises each.My arms always stayed the same size until i put on weight.

So do u guys find the same thing? i remember TC saying once that to increase arm girth by 1 inch u need to put on at least 15 pounds.

Thoughts?

Peace
HHH[/quote]

DUHHHH, Size=weight. You can’t have weightless biceps. The weight you gain may be so small that you don’t notice it, but whenever you gain size your weight will go up. Unless of course you’re losing fat at the same time (god bless Carbolin 19).

You will find very few people in the real world who will say that you don’t need to add weight to see arm growth. I do believe it takes about 10-20lbs of total body weight gain to see about 1 inch of growth on your arms. This is why there are no 170lbs people with 20" arms. It just isn’t physically possible. Not only that, but your entire body needs to grow, as well as increase in bone density, to even support the extra arm growth.

I know I am not a great example but I have been doing the Waterbury method and My weight is staying the same. My arms have gone from about 14.25 to 15 inches in 4 weeks. I am thrilled about it. I do very little direct arm work. I have always had an extremely hard time getting my arms to grow, I like you used to do a bunch of sets and nothing. Now I do Chins and maybe 4 sets of curls and that is it.

[quote]Todd S. wrote:
I know I am not a great example but I have been doing the Waterbury method and My weight is staying the same. My arms have gone from about 14.25 to 15 inches in 4 weeks. I am thrilled about it. I do very little direct arm work. I have always had an extremely hard time getting my arms to grow, I like you used to do a bunch of sets and nothing. Now I do Chins and maybe 4 sets of curls and that is it. [/quote]

Do you want your weight to stay the same? I am also wondering if you trained much at all before that and whether this is a cold measurement or right after training.

For the record, I would expect a measurement of 15" to come pretty easily to just about any man who is relatively active.

ProfX, the 15" mark rings pretty true for me. The last time I posted pics people commented that my arms were too small… and upon measurement that is what they were at.

They just magically got there on their own based on compound lifts.

[quote]Todd S. wrote:
I know I am not a great example but I have been doing the Waterbury method and My weight is staying the same. My arms have gone from about 14.25 to 15 inches in 4 weeks. I am thrilled about it. I do very little direct arm work. I have always had an extremely hard time getting my arms to grow, I like you used to do a bunch of sets and nothing. Now I do Chins and maybe 4 sets of curls and that is it. [/quote]

Todd,

Your total weight is the same, but your lean body weight has probably increased.

X thanks for that boost…

I want my fat level to go down, which it is and my muscle level to go up and that is. My bw is just staying about the same.

That was a cold measurement and I have been lifting off and on for about 11 years. Some times more on than others. My arms just never got very big.

I’m only 185lbs.

What’s the great Fred Hatfield quote? “You can’t fire a cannon from a canoe”

[quote]vroom wrote:

They just magically got there on their own based on compound lifts.[/quote]

That was my point, doing all the curls is a waste of time.

[quote]HHH wrote:
Do u really need to increase body weight to increase arm girth?

My answer to this is YES.Many including Ian King, Poliquin and others will say no.[/quote]

Actually the whole basis for Poliquin’s article “The Truth About Bodybuilding Arm Measurements” is that arm size and lean body mass are directly correlated.

http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=459760

The gurus can give out workouts like Great Guns, the One-Day Arm Cure, etc., and a lot of people have followed them with great success, but if you aren’t eating enough to grow, then your arms aren’t going to grow no matter how much arm work you do.

[quote]HHH wrote:
Hi all

Do u really need to increase body weight to increase arm girth?

My answer to this is YES.Many including Ian King, Poliquin and others will say no.Ive tried many arm programs,eg-great guns etc

HHH[/quote]

Actually Poliquin is one of the first who said that one needs to gain bodyweight to gain arm size. I think he mentionned 10-15lbs per 1" gain