Increase Deadlift Without Deadlifting?

[quote]daraz wrote:

[quote]Wrah wrote:
So you are saying that if a person strenghtend his or her hamstrings, glutes, lower and upper back, quads, abs and grip through ANY exercise then his or her deadlift wouldn’t be improved? All I have to say to that is ha![/quote]

Yes, that’s precisely what he said and he’s right. Try and prove us wrong just for fun.[/quote]

I’m not Wrah but I see this type of improvement all the time, for several lifts. Matt Kroc, for instance, raised his pull by doing heavy DB rows (kroc rows) and reverse hypers when he had injured his lower back too badly do deadlift. When I train for meets, I don’t do any overhead work, sometimes for months. Yet when the offseason starts and I add them back in, my overhead numbers are invariably higher due to increased strength in the delts and tris.

Many equipped lifters take time off from their gear and come back stronger, even though the lifting groove is wholly different. This is basic physiology. Strength is strength, and as long as the motor units involved get stronger, so will the movement, especially in experienced lifters who know how to move efficiently. Gains come faster when the movement is performed regularly, however, but you can’t say that strength wont increase. There is too much science and too mush real world experience that indicates the opposite.

[quote]Fletch1986 wrote:
Oh… btw, between football, lacrosse, and weightlifting, are you eating enough? Just because your not losing weight doesn’t necessarily mean that you’re eating enough food. It could just be that your body has shut down your metabolism. Symptoms might include constant tiredness and flat looking muscles.[/quote]

i eat about 4000-4500 calories a day.
deadlifts just wear my legs out, the main problem is that i can’t run as fast for some reason, but other leg exercises including squats don’t do this.

also, my adductors are sore from box squats yesterday, that’s normal right?

Don’t worry about the adductor soreness. A new movement will challenge you in new ways. The groin is very active in box squatting, particularly if you have tight hips or take a wide stance.

Yeah Yeah, that’s what everyone says. Don’t ask yourself how many calories are you consuming. Ask yourself are you tired, and are your muscles flat. Also if you feel constantly cold all the time when other people are fine is a good indicator of slow metabolism. Also make sure you’re getting enough sleep. Are you foam rolling and stretching regularly (doesn’t just prevent injury but can aid recovery too).

By the way, do you know you get that many calories because you made a food log and calculated each every food item for exact amounts… or are you guestimating… And one way to increase your lifts is to increase your muscle mass and weight. Is there a reason you don’t want to gain weight right now? Are you gaining, maintaining, or losing weight right now? I’m not trying to be a dick, just trying to help.

And yes, if you’re not used to them, your adductors can get sore from box squats. Especially if you take a wide stance.

[quote]Fletch1986 wrote:
Yeah Yeah, that’s what everyone says. Don’t ask yourself how many calories are you consuming. Ask yourself are you tired, and are your muscles flat. Also if you feel constantly cold all the time when other people are fine is a good indicator of slow metabolism. Also make sure you’re getting enough sleep. Are you foam rolling and stretching regularly (doesn’t just prevent injury but can aid recovery too).

By the way, do you know you get that many calories because you made a food log and calculated each every food item for exact amounts… or are you guestimating… And one way to increase your lifts is to increase your muscle mass and weight. Is there a reason you don’t want to gain weight right now? Are you gaining, maintaining, or losing weight right now? I’m not trying to be a dick, just trying to help.

And yes, if you’re not used to them, your adductors can get sore from box squats. Especially if you take a wide stance.[/quote]

don’t worry, i appreciate the wanting to help!

(1.i’m tired after workouts or practice and that’s it. i wake up fresh in the morning and am actually not that tired before bed.
(2.i dynamic stretch before workouts and practice and static stretch after. i sometimes foam roll, it’s inconsistent, but i’m trying to change that.
(3.i’m trying to gain weight. this is after a 3 month cut in which i went from 211 lbs@37%bf to 165lbs@14-15%bf while increasing lifts. i’m at 170lbs@14-15%bf now, but again that’ll change next week hopefully! i want to increase deadlifts because i have a goal of 500lbs sumo deadlift and 260lbs military press(standing) by june 15,2011.

Have you tried waving a single variable in your deadlift training?

For example (I’m terrible with percentages, I just go by rep and 1Rep maximums so the percentages may not be realistic):

week 1: 3x5 @ 75%
week 2: 3x5 @ 80%
week 3: 3x5 @ 85%
week 4: no pulls

or if that’s too much

week 1: 3x5 @ 65%
week 2: 3x5 @ 75%

I do something similar with my supplementary work, except with volume instead of intensity along with my ME and DE work. Note that volume remains constant.

[quote]Fletch1986 wrote:
Have you tried waving a single variable in your deadlift training?

For example (I’m terrible with percentages, I just go by rep and 1Rep maximums so the percentages may not be realistic):

week 1: 3x5 @ 75%
week 2: 3x5 @ 80%

or if that’s too much

week 1: 3x5 @ 65%
week 2: 3x5 @ 75%

I do something similar with my supplementary work, except with volume instead of intensity along with my ME and DE work. Note that volume remains constant.

[/quote]

i did a few months back. actually it was the exact one you specified(the second one). the 65% and 75% felt like deloads and i would always fail with the 3x5@85%. the only two things that currently got my deadlift up was good mornings(275-315) and switching to sumo(315-355). i still find a jump of 40lbs to be kinda big just from switching stance. getting to 275 was mostly newbie gains. just waiting now to see where box squats take me!

Good luck and happy lifting.

new question…
going to parallel in box squats hurts my adductors, but going just a little above parallel is fine.

(1.is adductor pain in the beginning when going low usual?
(2. making the box 1.5inches-2inches higher shouldn’t be that much of a problem, right?

Define hurt.

the spreading of my knees in the bottom position stretches my adductors and feels like they’re gonna snap in half.

For now, I’d say narrow your stance just a little, and start regular stretching of your adductors. Gradually narrow your stance. If you feel like you tweaked something, you might have to take a short to long break from anything wide stance or that stretches/works out your adductors hard.

Another strategy could be to slightly highten the box with say a 45 plate or maybe even two depending on you need, and gradually work on taking the plate(s) away.

[quote]Fletch1986 wrote:
For now, I’d say narrow your stance just a little, and start regular stretching of your adductors. Gradually narrow your stance. If you feel like you tweaked something, you might have to take a short to long break from anything wide stance or that stretches/works out your adductors hard.

Another strategy could be to slightly highten the box with say a 45 plate or maybe even two depending on you need, and gradually work on taking the plate(s) away.[/quote]

i increased the box by about an inch and it was high. at that height, it’s a little above parallel. just hope that the less ROM won’t decrease the chances of box squats helping my pull.

[quote]Fletch1986 wrote:
For now, I’d say narrow your stance just a little, and start regular stretching of your adductors. Gradually widen your stance. If you feel like you tweaked something, you might have to take a short to long break from anything wide stance or that stretches/works out your adductors hard.

Another strategy could be to slightly highten the box with say a 45 plate or maybe even two depending on you need, and gradually work on taking the plate(s) away.[/quote]

Fixed at the bold

Strange that deads slow you down but squats don’t…how’s your form?

Good luck; the important thing is that you’re open to ideas and IMPROVING, even in season. That said, I’ll second everyone who stressed the importance of picking a goal and going for it. Especially while in season, when my #s always go down.

[quote]Prof wrote:
Strange that deads slow you down but squats don’t…how’s your form?

Good luck; the important thing is that you’re open to ideas and IMPROVING, even in season. That said, I’ll second everyone who stressed the importance of picking a goal and going for it. Especially while in season, when my #s always go down.[/quote]

my goal in weightlifting, i just play high school sports because college is competitive so i’ll likely never play there

and the squats don’t slow me down because there oly style and are mostly quads but the deadlifts are in my posterior chain so my sprinting strength takes an obvious hit.

You have a tight groin. That’s why your adductors hurt. Just stretch regularly and include some dynamic ROM work in your warm-up. Lighten the weight if necessary to hit depth without pain until you gain the mobility to do it while exerting. Making the box high will not help you at this point. It will just prevent you from squatting to proper depth and reinforce the bad habit already present. The only way to improve squat ROM is to practice it. You’ve got to get to parallel. Use a stance that works for you and allows you to get down to where you need to be. If you need to go narrow, do it. Just make sure the depth is good.

If you really want to take a wide stance, you may need to put some time in to perfect the technique and gain the flexibility to do it. It’s worth learning in my opinion.

You are correct strengthstudent.

Not every stance is good for every person.

[quote]Wrah wrote:

[quote]Brett295 wrote:
That’s like trying to improve your bench without benching… it just doesn’t happen. Sure you may take some time off from deadlifts and come back a few weeks later and find your deadlift went up slightly. That would probably mean you were fatigued and the break gave your body time to repair itself and get stronger. The bottom line is that anyone that want’s to improve their deadlift does deadlifts. It’s the same with squats, rows, pullups, etc…

You’ve got a lot going on. Just get through the season, then worry about increasing your deadlift.

[/quote]

So you are saying that if a person strenghtend his or her hamstrings, glutes, lower and upper back, quads, abs and grip through ANY exercise then his or her deadlift wouldn’t be improved? All I have to say to that is ha![/quote]

Yes, that is EXACTLY what i’m saying. If you want to be a better deadlifter you have to deadlift. Oh, and good luck with all those exercises that are going to improve your grip, hamstrings, glutes etc… Have fun with your 5 hour workout. I’m not saying that an assistance exercise can’t HELP with the deadlift but you still have to deadlift.