Increase Bench 30lbs In 2 Weeks

I just got a call from a guy who’s trying to increase his bench 30lbs (140 to 170) to pass the physical for the police. He’s only been working out about 2 days a week for 4 months now. I planned on doing a Push/Pull split with a day off in between for the next 2 weeks (8 workouts total) until his test on monday the 27th. I plan on putting him in the 6-8 rep range.

I was just looking for some outside input. Any tips on increasing bench quickly would be helpful, and if my plan sucks, im sure you guys will let me know. I just really want this guy to do it, he has already quit his job and if he fails its a good wait until he can try again.

this can get dangerous, but if it is something as important as passing a test so he can get a job, i would do chest/back everyday.

correction, chest/back everyday…until the last couple of days. Give two to three days off of training leading up to the test so he can be fresh for the test.

Just a question, but does the police test include having to be able to bench 170 lbs?

As far as a program that results in big time strength increases in a short time period, I’ve personally never tried anything that improved my maximal strength faster than Poliquin’s 1-6 principle.

If he had 3 weeks, then I would almost gaurantee that this program could get him a 30 lb strength increase.

However, I’ve personally never tried anything that would do it in 2 weeks. But, who knows, maybe someone else around here knows of such a program.

Good luck and good training,

Sentoguy

I would start him doing high frequency/planned overtraining then take a few days off.

Also go through bench form with him, that can easily add 10+ pounds to some people’s bench if their technique can be improved

Sentoguy - The test isn’t exactly 170lbs, it is just whatever your body weight is.

olinerules87 - I agree, that was definately going to be part of my strategy.

I think I’m just going to do chest/back every other day, I want to include some squats as well though to maybe get some extra test flowing and allow his “balls to drop” if you know what I mean. I know personally back in the day before I did legs, that first month of squats, all my lifts increased.

[quote]superthrustjon wrote:
Sentoguy - The test isn’t exactly 170lbs, it is just whatever your body weight is.

olinerules87 - I agree, that was definately going to be part of my strategy.

I think I’m just going to do chest/back every other day, I want to include some squats as well though to maybe get some extra test flowing and allow his “balls to drop” if you know what I mean. I know personally back in the day before I did legs, that first month of squats, all my lifts increased.[/quote]

Ok. Well, one method that I don’t think has been mentioned yet is to have your friend perform sets of negatives with a BW bench. Heck, negatives are one of the best methods of developing the ability to do other BW exercises (chins, dips, pistols,etc…), so there’s no reason to think that it wouldn’t work for bench as well.

I’m not saying to have him only do negative BW bench pressing, but try throwing it in there every now and then, especially if you are going to have him do high frequency stuff.

Good luck and good training,

Sentoguy

Maybe try getting him to lose some fat in the 2 weeks as well. If he can drop even 5 pounds then he will only have to get it up to 165.

Just a dumb suggestion of mine.

http://www.T-Nation.com/readArticle.do?id=539885

Here’s an article on increasing your bench in 8 weeks. Use this as a guide.

Teaching him to do the powerlifting arch when benching would give him 15 lbs. Figuring out where his sticking point is (does he fail at the bottom? middle?) and working on it would probably add another 10 at least. Just training frequently then backing off could add another 10-15. Make sure to do DE work as well.

a better arch and leg drive will get you 30 pounds overnight.

Everyones advice sounds good so far, I would add 2 things.

1. Find out what the “rules” are on this test. If there is going to be someone judging his form, does his ass need to stay on the bench, does he need to pause at the bottom? I know I could easily push 60lbs more on a bench using horrible form and a little bounce of the ribs at the bottom compared to super strict form with a pause on the bottom. (Of course that recommendation is only to pass the test, and make sure he knows as soon as the test is over to go back to good form)

2. I would make sure he is doing more of a powerlifter set up vs. a BB set up. I used to bench elbows flared and bringing the bar up high on the chest for a while, and when I switched over to more of a powerlifter set up I put a lot of weight on the bench.

I think those 2 things could be the easiest way to make up 30lbs. Just my 2 cents

How many and how good are his pushups?

Is it a barbell or a machine? Someone posted before about police tests using a plate machine.

Good responses. I would also suggest Thib’s plan (although you don’t have 8 weeks), plus read Dave Tate’s benching articles. Just setting up properly can add many pounds to your bench press.

As far as switching to a powerlifting style; that will work but it’s likely to take too long. Anyway, a body weight bench should be attainable by a relative newbie just through neuro-muscular adaptation.

Like many said, hit the bench often over the next 12 days with lots of dynamic work alternating with heavy singles. Then, take a day or two of solid rest before the test.

Also, don’t forget about supps. In this case load up on creatine, try Power Drive or Spike. Whatever it take to up the intensity. Good luck to your friend.

Yea, it’s one of those Nautilus machines, your lying down with the weight stack behind your head and 2 “L” shaped handles. You start off the lift in the down position, so that bottom sticking point will be crucial.

I’m not sure about his pushups, i just talked to him briefly on the phone, and im not sure all the rules, i think his butt just has to stay on the bench.

Thank you guys for all the input.