Incorporating Overhead Press and Pendlay Rows

Would it be wise to try and add both of these movements to sheiko and if so what set/rep scheme should you use?

Which sheiko are you doing?

[quote]sufiandy wrote:
Which sheiko are you doing?[/quote]

Not sure on the rows, typically sheiko doesn’t have much of those. Can try them but like all programs make sure you run it a few times unmodified. After doing it for a while you should know what lifts can be substituted, etc. OHP would depend on your bench goals, most likely would need to substitute bench or something bench related for those. If your looking light/high rep on those, subing the dips might work otherwise swap it for one of the bench press lifts each work.

People need to realize that the sheiko programs you find online: 29,30, 37, 39, 40, CMS etc etc… are just EXAMPLES of a program ONE GUY used to train with under Sheiko - Sheiko was a trainer not a programmer. These should just be used to give you a rough idea of what you want to do. Definitely it is reasonable to BASE your program off of a program, but don’t just do something cause it’s written in sheiko 30 or whatever. In otherwords, you want to do OHP and pendlay rows…

1. WHY? What makes you think you need them?
  2. How big of a priority is shoulder/upper back strength?

If you just want to add em in because, then either don’t bother, or do them light as an easy accesory for like 3x10 or something. If you are having upper back tightness issues and your shoulders are causing a 2inch freeze off the chest for bench then make em a priority. Replace one of the benches with OHP and do something like 3x5+3x3 is my usual option for OHP. I usually will do a bit of upper back after deadlifting. Just think about everything you do, track progress and training, and evaluate.

[quote]arramzy wrote:
People need to realize that the sheiko programs you find online: 29,30, 37, 39, 40, CMS etc etc… are just EXAMPLES of a program ONE GUY used to train with under Sheiko - Sheiko was a trainer not a programmer. These should just be used to give you a rough idea of what you want to do. Definitely it is reasonable to BASE your program off of a program, but don’t just do something cause it’s written in sheiko 30 or whatever. In otherwords, you want to do OHP and pendlay rows…

1. WHY? What makes you think you need them?
  2. How big of a priority is shoulder/upper back strength?

If you just want to add em in because, then either don’t bother, or do them light as an easy accesory for like 3x10 or something. If you are having upper back tightness issues and your shoulders are causing a 2inch freeze off the chest for bench then make em a priority. Replace one of the benches with OHP and do something like 3x5+3x3 is my usual option for OHP. I usually will do a bit of upper back after deadlifting. Just think about everything you do, track progress and training, and evaluate.[/quote]

How do you decide on your programs? Do you pick a template and sub lifts based on your needs, or do you make it completely up based on general principles. If its the second one, what makes it Sheiko?

Arramzy do you not think it would be ok to run thd example programs as written. I really don’t know how to sub in exercises to my needs so I think not messing with the example programs I would be better off. Upperback is important to me as well as shoulders but of course they would be secondary to the big three. Thanks for the reply.

If you haven’t run the program yet, I wouldn’t mess with it. Run a cycle, determine what your needs are in comparison, then modify.

If you haven’t been training long enough to make intelligent modifications to a program, stick with canned programs for awhile, and probably something better catered to your needs at this time.