T Nation

Incorporating Olympic Lifts

Hey Fellas

I am designing a program for my self - 4 day split.

Day 1:

Cleans (from hanging position)
DeadLift (variations)
Chins - Lat Pull - Vertical Pull
Leg Curl - Knee Felxion
horizontal Pull - Row Variations

Bicep Isolation - Curl variation (lean towards hammer and reverse curls)
Trap Isolation ( shrugs - i like farmers walks)
Rear Delt Isolation

Day 2:

Clean and Press (full motion taking weight from floor)
Squats ( variations )
Horizintal Push variation ( barbell)
Unilateral movement ( step ups mostly to work on firing glutes but lunges and split squats occasionally)
Vertical Push ( military press, shoulde press variations)

Tricep Extension Variations
Chest Isolations / Second Horizontal Push
Lateral Raise variations

Day 3 and 4

FOLLOW same Guidelines with slight variation for example if monday i do day 2 nd friday i do day 2 again, monday would include back squats, friday front squats, monday flat barbell bench and a chest flye, friday incline barbell bench and decline dumbell bench. However i wont change excercises weekly i'll follow the same excercise for a good 3 - 4 weeks.

MY BIG QUESTIONS - Can I incorperate these cleans and any toher olympic lifts in my program becaus ei reallly like them and they help me build my shoulder and traps.

• would you put the pushes and pulls together or keep it like i have it

• shold i take the days in between training completely off - i tend to like to do some light cardio - core stabiltiy and mobility stuff on off days taking only saturday completely off ...

• lastly any other tweaking is much appreciated thanks!

--- for reference i am 5'10 200 lbs at the moment
squat is at about 275 for 4 -6 reps my max was around 450 as 450 but i needed to cut down to fix my form and learn to uses my glutes more because of anterior hip pain. my deadlift is 405, bench in the 285 - 300 range. I am at about 14 percent body fat at age 22

I feel my body responds best when i keep all lift including isolated single joint excercises to a 6 - 8 rep range maybe even 3 - 5 but i want size gians with the strength -

I am a Former Fat Boy my diet is solid i am using precision nutrition approach leaning away from carbs other than veggies and a little fruit only only taking Surge during workout and a single serving starchy carb in my meal directly following a workout - i am supplementing with fish oil, L-Luecine at 3 meals a day

looks good man

i love the olypic lifts too

but if you want a bodybuilding look, youre gonna have to do some reshaping after this

this will get you big and strong! no doubt

but you’ll look like the brick guy fom fantastic 4

so, i’d do this for 12 weks then try the super hero workout on this site to get get contouring

This is similar to what I do, combine o-lits with basic compounds for bang for your buck workouts. Here’s mine, I don’t always follow it exactly, but it’s a guideline:

Warmup on heavy bag, jumping jacks, b.w. squats, jump rope, barbell complex, (not in this order, I pick and choose warmups), then:

C&J 5-7x 1-4 %varies
Back squat w.u. then 5/3/1 routine
Supported Row 3-4x5-15
OHS or snatch balance 3-4x whatever (lightish, technique focus)

OFF

Snatch 5-7x1-4 %varies
Bench w.u. then 5/3/1 routine
RDL (light, focus on glute/hams) 3-4x5-15
Vertical press variant 50-60% 3-4x10ish
Core/Ab 3-4x whatever

OFF

C&J 5-7x1-4 %varies
Front Squat w.u. then 5/3/1 routine
Chin 3-4x 8-15
OHS or snatch balance 3-4x whatever (lightish, technique focus)

OFF

Snatch 5-7x1-4 %varies
Push Press w.u. then 5/3/1 routine
G.M. (light, focus on glute/hams) 3-4x5-15
Horizontal press variant 50-60% 3-4x10ish
Core/Ab 3-4x whatever

OFF

Rotate back to first day

Cardio (running) on some days off.

Sets? Reps?

Most of your big questions can’t be answered if you don’t give these, because extra cleans/putting the pushes and pulls together/extra work on the off days could end up overworking you depending on the sets and reps your using.

these sound very similar to what i like to do. i love doing a few months of olympic lifts to put on a lot of size, then do some cycles of CT programs to get the definition. like schaffer said, kind of hard to tell without your set-rep scheme. typically for these big lifts, i keep them low, especially for deads and cleans, like 3x3-5.

hey sorry it’s taken me a while to respond

I keep the compund lifts to 3 sets of 6-8, the clean i’ll do 3 pr 4 sets in more of the 3 - 5 range

then i’ll do 2 sets of the iso stuff getting 8 reps

work out like this

clean 4 sets 3 -5
4 compound lifts 3 sets 6 -8
3 isolation lifts 2 sets of 8

THANKS SO FAR!