T Nation

Incorporating Loaded Carries Into PL Program

I am currently doing Candito’s 6 week Intermediate Powerlifting program, have been doing it since February and it seems to be working pretty well so far.
However, I’d like to start incorporating loaded carries into the program if it is at all possible. Particularly Farmer’s Walks and Yoke Walks. The reason I want to do Farmer’s Walks is for general stability, grip strength and other things that carry over to my deadlift. Yoke Walks will be great for my core stability, as well as knowing what heavier weights feel like on my back before squatting them. I also have my own pair of farmer’s handles and able to practice Farmer’s Walks every day if I needed to.
So the question is: how often should I do these loaded carries when I am already training 4-5 times a week? Is the best way to do them right after the training session, first thing in the morning, or on my days off and how often? Or maybe I shouldn’t add them at all and I have a training ADHD? Thanks everyone for reading.

You may be disappointed with the carryover from farmer’s to deadlifts - it tends to go that the deadlift helps farmers for me but it’s still a great exercise and some people swears it helps so YMMV

What I would do is alternate farmer’s and yoke each week and do it in the first optional exercise slot (or second depending what you choose for the second exercise) on the second leg day of the week. You could do farmers on an upper body day to hit your back after it has been fatigued by backwork as well - same deal, in the optional exercise slot

Make sure you do Yoke on week 2 - from memory this is the highest volume - you don’t want to tackle that after you have done a yoke a few days earlier.

Alternatively, you can do a Yoke/Farmer medley, I think they are great for core stability as the quick change in implement really has to make you focus on stabilising.

I would keep the yoke light, focus on speed over say 50-100ft. You don’t want to be staggering all over the place with slow, heavy steps. It will sink you for the main movements which is what you are trying to build. Probably same for farmers but it isn’t as soul destroying.

So you think it’s a bad idea to go heavy on the yoke when doing powerlifting? I just want to know what 600 lbs feels on my back before squatting it.

You can go heavy if you like. I’d just suggest that if you go so heavy that you are stumbling, drifting, taking very slow steps and/or dropping the thing then you are likely to feel it during the next week of your training. It’s called Yoke Flu :laughing:

Also, you can do squat walk outs if you just want to feel a heavy weight across your back.

1 Like