T Nation

Incorporating Kettlebells into 5/3/1?

I’m currently running 5/3/1 two days a week. I figured out this is the only way I can consistently do my main lifts every week with some assistance.

I have some kettlebells at home and basically I want to keep busy with them, so I don’t get cabin fever in the evening after I’ve worked from home all day.

I’m looking for ideas on how to incorporate kettlebells say Monday to Friday and 5/3/1 on Saturdays and Sundays.

I also run hills 3 times a week.

So you’re doing 531 Sat and Sun? If you are only doing 2x a week, I would suggest not doing it back to back. That said, I’ve been doing a few KB-based workouts this pandemic. I like the DJ-style: go for 500 total reps and mix in other moves: OHP, squats, roll outs, push ups, for example.

25 swings, 5 OHP reps
25 swings, 15 squats
25 swings, 10 roll outs
25 swings, 15 push ups
Repeat 5x through. Takes about 30 -35 min. You can do more reps at a time (I hear that’s even more effective) but I like the easy division of labor. Also, try other extra moves but not too taxing or too high rep.

2 Likes

I’m doing 5/3/1 on Tuesdays and Saturdays at the moment. I was trying to think ahead because the past two Tuesdays, I’ve been in a rush and just done the main lifts without assistance.

I figured for a future cycle, I might run BBB on Saturdays and Sundays when I have plenty of time.

During the week I can use Kettlebells that I have at home.

At the moment I’m still training, I just need to find the best schedule. When I go into the gym to do 5/3/1 I want to enjoy it and not have to go really fast to get it done.

Thanks for the ideas.

Why not full body 3 days a week with kb assistance after? There’s a template like that in the latest book.

1 Like