T Nation

Incomplete Ketogenic Fat Burning?

I was told something by an acquaintance of mine who works as a nutritionist for the Canadian government. I told her I was considering a ketogenic diet, and she told me that the fat burning process is incomplete with ketosis. This, she told me, is why people put the weight back on even after the initial period of carb reintroduction and glycogen replenishment.

Can someone explain this to me? Is this true? If it isn’t, why not?

People put weight back on after re-introducing carbs because of the increased water storage effect carbs have.

This is why when going on a low-carb diet, people tend to lose more weight on the first 1-2 weeks.

Anyone?

[quote]Judecca wrote:
I was told something by an acquaintance of mine who works as a nutritionist for the Canadian government. I told her I was considering a ketogenic diet, and she told me that the fat burning process is incomplete with ketosis.

This, she told me, is why people put the weight back on even after the initial period of carb reintroduction and glycogen replenishment.

Can someone explain this to me? Is this true? If it isn’t, why not?[/quote]

Well, I'm a mechanic for the united states government and if you run biodiesel it won't completely destroy your fuel injection system by clogging every single fuel line with algae.  

Do you believe me because I work for the government?

[quote]mechanicsteve wrote:
Well, I’m a mechanic for the united states government and if you run biodiesel it won’t completely destroy your fuel injection system by clogging every single fuel line with algae.

Do you believe me because I work for the government?[/quote]

No, I would believe because you’re a mechanic.

:stuck_out_tongue:

She’s wrong.

She is wrong. here’s the grain of truth: Ketones are incompletely burned fat - it takes less calories for them to be utilized in their ketone state - I think this has to do with blood glucose management but am not sure. You will have some amount of ketones in your system but in ketosis you excrete them via urine/sweat.

Very close but actually the great majority of the ketones are burned. Those that are burned yield just as much energy, so far as the total reaction is concerned, as fat burned "the regular way.

The ketone bodies are converted to acetyl-CoA, which is the substance they came from. Hence no difference in energy yield so far as I know. But as the ketone bodies, they were able to be transported via the blood, which acetyl-CoA cannot be, which I suppose is the usefulness of the ketone bodies.

[quote]RSGZ wrote:
mechanicsteve wrote:
Well, I’m a mechanic for the united states government and if you run biodiesel it won’t completely destroy your fuel injection system by clogging every single fuel line with algae.

Do you believe me because I work for the government?

No, I would believe because you’re a mechanic.

:P[/quote]

And a damn good one too!