T Nation

Incline Sprints

I run a 4 day split:
Day 1- Upper
Day 2- Lower
Day 3- OFF
Day 4- Upper
Day 5- Lower

I like to do sprints three times a week if possible. I usually do them after a lower body workout. I've heard it's not a good idea to do them the day before a leg workout. If I do sprints after a leg workout, will they hinder any growth in my legs? I think I may be pounding the shit out of them after a heavy leg workout and then incline sprints on the treadmill. I'm trying to figure out where would be best to place the sprints or any HIIT for fat burning.

I'm an athlete, so sprints are right up my alley, right to the point. But if they are affecting my leg growth and strength, I need to figure something out.

Any options fellas? Thanks in advance!

Check out this article from Eric Cressey. It’s a good read, and bullet 7 offers some answers to your question.

www.ericcressey.com/so-you-want-to-start-sprinting

Not maybe growth but prob your performance, at least if i sprinted 3x a week

I’d do them on a separate day, have a look at joe defrancos stuff

Also why would you sprint on a treadmill if youre an athlete?!

My humble opinion, but treat your programming for sprints like you would for squats done at 90% +. Do them hard and right, but not too excessively. If you are actually sprinting near 100%, I think you would be much better off at 2x or even 1x a week than 3.

If you are doing them more for power and skill development, do them before your lower session but watch your volume. Doing them in the morning (assuming you lift in the afternoon or later) is also a good idea. What I’m talking about here is full out sprints that you recover between sets – NOT working through fatigue.

If you are doing more of an HIIT conditioning style set of sprinting, do them after your lower session and don’t go so crazy that you pull a hamstring or something. If you are doing them like this (and it sounds like you want to) I think you shouldn’t get too hung up on just sprinting and switch between doing different kind of conditioning work since you’re looking more for a metabolic response than anything.

[quote]Sutebun wrote:
My humble opinion, but treat your programming for sprints like you would for squats done at 90% +. Do them hard and right, but not too excessively. If you are actually sprinting near 100%, I think you would be much better off at 2x or even 1x a week than 3.

If you are doing them more for power and skill development, do them before your lower session but watch your volume. Doing them in the morning (assuming you lift in the afternoon or later) is also a good idea. What I’m talking about here is full out sprints that you recover between sets – NOT working through fatigue.

If you are doing more of an HIIT conditioning style set of sprinting, do them after your lower session and don’t go so crazy that you pull a hamstring or something. If you are doing them like this (and it sounds like you want to) I think you shouldn’t get too hung up on just sprinting and switch between doing different kind of conditioning work since you’re looking more for a metabolic response than anything.[/quote]

Awesome advice, man! Thank you! I am looking for more HIIT style conditioning like you mentioned.

Since the weather is finally getting warmer, I will probably start sprinting hills and doing car pushes. I find things like that are great for conditioning. But yes, I do need more of a variety of conditioning. Maybe bike sprints, skipping, etc.