Incline Press Benefits?

My chest is one of my weak points. As of right now i do

Fly - 3 sets 8 reps
bench - 3 sets 8 reps
shoulder press - 3 sets 8 reps
(I’m on a stationary @ home so i don’t have a whole lot of flexibility to branch out to other chest exercises)

However i can do an inclined press…Will i see any extra benefit from the inclined press besides the effort i put into doing it? I guess what I’m asking is, does an inclined press target a different part of the pectorals than bench/fly/shoulder press does?

[quote]Rijati wrote:

Fly - 3 sets 8 reps
bench - 3 sets 8 reps
(I’m on a stationary @ home so i don’t have a whole lot of flexibility to branch out to other chest exercises)

However i can do an inclined press…Will i see any extra benefit from the inclined press besides the effort i put into doing it? I guess what I’m asking is, does an inclined press target a different part of the pectorals than bench/fly/shoulder press does?[/quote]

The Incline Press will develop the clavicular portion (upper chest) of your chest. A few years down the road you’re going to wish you were doing Incline work. Start now!

Eliminating Incline work will make your lower chest a lot more dominant and it won’t look pleasing to the eye.

By the way, what is your goal and what does your routine look like?

[quote]Rijati wrote:
However i can do an inclined press…Will i see any extra benefit from the inclined press besides the effort i put into doing it? I guess what I’m asking is, does an inclined press target a different part of the pectorals than bench/fly/shoulder press does?[/quote]

Incline’s a must. If nothing else, to hit the pecs from different angles.

Incline work builds up the upper portion so that your chest doesn’t resemble a 90-years old gravity-cursed woman. Incline puts a lot more stress on the shoulders and triceps, so make sure not to overtrain them.

[quote]Kevin Haywood wrote:
By the way, what is your goal and what does your routine look like?[/quote]

Thanks.

I started 6 months ago a 6’00" 150lbs. (skinny as Paris Hilton, I know)
I now weigh a nice 182, probably around 15-17% BF.

My goal is to be at a lean and muscular 195 when I shed some of the extra bulking weight/creatine water weight.

I’m just going for an all around physique. Although my chest needs some extra work since it is lacking. I try to hit all the main muscle groups that i can.

Here’s my Routine:
I do all my exercises @ 3 sets of 8 reps

Day 1:
Lat Pulldown
Fly
Rear lat pulldown(behind head)
Tricep pushdown
Upright row
Curls
Seated row
Bench press
Shoulder Press
(Incline press added as of today)

Day 2:
Quad lifts
Pullthroughs (from “de-constructing the computer guy” article)
Front side Squat
Rack Pulls
Weighted ab cruches
Weighted Oblique crunches
Weighted leg lifts

Day 3:
(repeat Day 1)

Day 4:
Quad lifts
Hip Extensors
Front side Squat
Hip Flexors
Standing Calve Raise
Weighted ab cruches
Weighted leg lifts

I’m on a 5000 calorie diet. 45-40-15 p/c/f

Suppliments:
5-10 grams Creatine
20-25 grams BCAA
ZMA (Biotest)
6 Grams Fish Oil
GNC multivatamin (with BCAA)
Surge Recorvery (Biotest)

Any suggestions/comments/critiques would be greatly appreciated

Your chest is not lagging.

[quote]Mike Benfield wrote:
Your chest is not lagging. [/quote]

Damn it, so that’s where my “Internet-X-Ray-Stealth-Cross Connection-Spy” Goggles went. The next one of you fuckers I see stealin’ my shit is going down!

[quote]Professor X wrote:
Mike Benfield wrote:

Damn it, so that’s where my “Internet-X-Ray-Stealth-Cross Connection-Spy” Goggles went. The next one of you fuckers I see stealin’ my shit is going down![/quote]

Note to self: Hide goggles before logging in when Prof X is around…

?? confused ??

I feel like I’m being flamed here.

[quote]Rijati wrote:

Fly - 3 sets 8 reps
bench - 3 sets 8 reps

dump the flat bench and replace it with incline and tell us what happened. Were not splitting atoms.

[quote]Professor X wrote:
Mike Benfield wrote:

Damn it, so that’s where my “Internet-X-Ray-Stealth-Cross Connection-Spy” Goggles went. The next one of you fuckers I see stealin’ my shit is going down![/quote]

How much did those cost?

[quote]Mike Benfield wrote:
Your chest is not lagging. [/quote]

But it is lacking…

[quote]coloradosteve wrote:
Professor X wrote:
Mike Benfield wrote:

Damn it, so that’s where my “Internet-X-Ray-Stealth-Cross Connection-Spy” Goggles went. The next one of you fuckers I see stealin’ my shit is going down!

How much did those cost?

[/quote]

I’ve seen them on ebay for $42,000. Sold right away. Good for internet dating.

[quote]Hagar wrote:
coloradosteve wrote:
Professor X wrote:
Mike Benfield wrote:

How much did those cost?

I’ve seen them on ebay for $42,000. Sold right away. Good for internet dating. [/quote]

Yeah, I just put in a bid for a set, though mine are going for 46,000.

Hope I don’t win because I don’t have 46,000. lol, anyone want to loan me some money?

sure, i’ll lend the money. i sold all the bad advice and got $50,000.

:o)

Sarpedon

[quote]coloradosteve wrote:
Rijati wrote:

Fly - 3 sets 8 reps
bench - 3 sets 8 reps

However i can do an inclined press…Will i see any extra benefit from the inclined press besides the effort i put into doing it? I guess what I’m asking is, does an inclined press target a different part of the pectorals than bench/fly/shoulder press does?

dump the flat bench and replace it with incline and tell us what happened. Were not splitting atoms.
[/quote]

Switch 'em up. Do flats with the Shoulder Press on Day 1 and Inclines with DB Lateral Raises on Day 3 (inclines and shoulder press in the same workout is somewhat redundant).

Next week you might do declines on Day 1, etc. etc.

Mix it up to Grow!!

[quote]Rijati wrote:
Kevin Haywood wrote:

Thanks.

My goal is to be at a lean and muscular 195 when I shed some of the extra bulking weight/creatine water weight.

I’m just going for an all around physique. Although my chest needs some extra work since it is lacking. I try to hit all the main muscle groups that i can.

Here’s my Routine:

Day 1:
Lat Pulldown
Fly
Tricep pushdown
Upright row
Curls
Seated row
Bench press
Shoulder Press

Day 2:
Quad lifts
Front side Squat
Rack Pulls
Weighted ab cruches
Weighted leg lifts

Day 3:
(repeat Day 1)

Day 4:
Quad lifts
Hip Extensors
Front side Squat
Hip Flexors
Standing Calve Raise
Weighted ab cruches
Weighted leg lifts

Suppliments:
5-10 grams Creatine
20-25 grams BCAA
ZMA (Biotest)
6 Grams Fish Oil

[/quote]

I would really recommend switching up the set/rep scheme every month or have an undulated set/rep scheme for every Day you lift.

Day 1: 5 x 3-5 reps
Day 2: 4 x 6 reps
Day 3: 3 x 8-10 reps
Day 4: 3 x 10-12 reps

That’s just threw that together. It needs to be modified depending on your routine and the exercises. I’m just giving you the idea that you shouldn’t just stick with one set/rep scheme. Variation is important for hypertrophy gains.

[quote]Rijati wrote:
Kevin Haywood wrote:

Thanks.

Here’s my Routine:

Day 1:
Lat Pulldown
Fly
Tricep pushdown
Upright row
Curls
Seated row
Bench press
Shoulder Press

Day 2:
Quad lifts
Front side Squat
Rack Pulls
Weighted ab cruches
Weighted leg lifts

Day 3:
(repeat Day 1)

Day 4:
Quad lifts
Hip Extensors
Front side Squat
Hip Flexors
Standing Calve Raise
Weighted ab cruches
Weighted leg lifts

Suppliments:
5-10 grams Creatine
20-25 grams BCAA
ZMA (Biotest)
6 Grams Fish Oil

[/quote]

Your nutrition looks solid. I’m assuming you’re eating every 2-3 hours already considering you claim to get 5000 calories a day.

I hope you were asking for advice about your routine. I’m going to change it up a bit, to something I think would be more effective.

Day 1 - Monday
A. Incline Bench Press: 5x5 reps
B. Seated Row or 1-Arm Dumbbell Row: 4x5-8 reps
C. Dips: 3x8-10
D1. Wide-Grip Upright Row (to sternum) or Lateral Raise: 3x8-12
D2. Biceps Curl: 3x8-12
D3. Cable Triceps Extension: 3x8-12
E. External rotator cuff work: 3x6-8

Day 2 - Tuesday
Hip Mobility work
A. Quad Lift (Back or Front Squat): 5x5-10 reps
B. Pullthroughs: 3x8-12
C. Weighted Ab Work: 3x6-8
D. Standing Calf Raise: 3x6-8

Day 4 - Thursday
A. Weighted Pull-up or Chin-up: 5x3-5 reps
B1. Flat Dumbbell Press or Incline Dumbbell Press: 4x6-8
B2. Seated Row or 1-Arm Dumbbell Row (Pick a different horizontal row, depending on which exercise you picked on Day 1): 4x6-8
C1. Standing Overhead Press (dumbbell or barbell): 4x6 or 3x8-12
C2. Hammer Curls: 3x8-12
C3. Overhead Triceps Extension: 3x8-12
D. External Rotator cuff work: 3x8-12

Day 6 - Saturday
Hip Mobility work
A. Rack Pulls: Work up (warm-up) to a 5 rep max (that basically means one set)
B. Front Squat or Unilateral movement: 3-4x8-12 reps
C. Seated Calf Raise: 3x8-12
D. Weighted Ab work: 3x8-12

…and no, you’re not getting flamed.

By the way, I was never fond of the Lat Pulldown (behind the neck). I never done it and there’s no need to do so. The Lat Pulldown to the front is much more effective. Some people argue that doing the Lat Pulldown behind the neck activates the upper trapezius a lot more compared to the pull to the front, but that’s a lame excuse. Why not overload your traps with Shrugs and Deadlift variations? I see no point to the Lat Pulldown behind the neck, because I feel it doesn’t overload the lats as good as the pull to the front. On top of that, people usually cheat to get extra range of motion (ROM) on the behind the neck version and that’ll promote forward-head posture. Some other people may have different views on that exercise. That’s my 2 cents.

Good luck

Thanks for all the help guys, much appreciated.

Yeah, I Eat about every 2-3 hours. I would like to have a slightly less liquid diet though. My breakfeast is normally just a shake. and my post workout meal is just a shake as well.

But I seem to making significant gains on the diet i’m on right now, so I guess all the liquids are helping to some degree.

Rich

[quote]Rijati wrote:
Thanks for all the help guys, much appreciated.

Yeah, I Eat about every 2-3 hours. I would like to have a slightly less liquid diet though. My breakfeast is normally just a shake. and my post workout meal is just a shake as well.

But I seem to making significant gains on the diet i’m on right now, so I guess all the liquids are helping to some degree.

Rich[/quote]

What do your shakes consist of? That’s great that you’re finding what works for you.

Flax Seed
Whole milk
sometimes olive oil
“Mass XXX” from GNC

I Havn’t been able to try your routine suggestions out yet, but yesterday i swicthed to 5x5 instead of 3x8. I lifted super hard last night and I can really feel it today, i’m a little sore again for the first time in months. = )