T Nation

Incline, Decline, Flat Bench Same Day

chest day

incline bb press 3x8-10

decline bb press 3x8-10

regular bb press 5x5

machine fly’s 3x8-10 and i lower the weight and continue to do as many as i can each set

triceps pull down

skull crushers 3x8-10

3 ab exercises

is it OK if i do the three variations of the bench press in one day or is there really no benefit to this?

Ohhh man 5x5 after two exercises for the same muscle???

I’d prefer to do first heavy BP followed by some DB incline BP, then some decline CGBP.

And then switch main exercise after some weeks.

I’d like to see what others have to say

[quote]tuchavito wrote:
Ohhh man 5x5 after two exercises for the same muscle???

I’d prefer to do first heavy BP followed by some DB incline BP, then some decline CGBP.

And then switch main exercise after some weeks.

I’d like to see what others have to say[/quote]

sorry i dint put in order i always do regular press first.

My shoulders would be FUBAR after that session.

Three bench variations are overkill, I’d switch one of them into a DB variation, drop one altogether, and add a machine press of some kind, Hammer Incline, Hammer Chest depending on which exercise you start your 5x5 with.

Might look like:
Incline Benchpress (better for shoulders, in general)5x5
Flat DB Benchpress better stretch, more stimulation than regular BB
Hammer Strength/other machine press

If you can’t get a growth response with three exercises for chest, chances are you don’t need more work at the level you’re at, and certainly no fly drop sets.

Try this:

Flat bench - 5x3
Triceps pressdowns - 5x5
Incline DB press - 3x5
skull crushers - 3x8
Incline BB press - 3x8 (preferably at a different angle of incline than with the DB press. This is also a good time to use a smith machine.)

The idea is to start with your heavy compound first (of course). Then fatigue your triceps to force your pecs to work harder on the next pressing movement. Then fatigue them even more before the last pressing movement. If you use sufficient load and intensity, I guarantee you won’t give a shit about doing flyes afterward.

I left out the declines because if you’re like most of us, you need more work for upper and mid-pecs. Also, if you bench with a decent arch, you’re already working your lower pecs.

Drop decline. I personally don’t think it’s needed. If your doing dips that will take care of that.

I would suggest doing flat BB press, then incline DBs. And as tuchavido mentioned, when your progression stalls on flat, make incline BB your first and then do flat DBs, and so on.

And stop doing 3x8-10. Go check out the numerous threads on ramping. I’ve noticed the ability to progress is increased considerably with this method over 3x10.

Did you read the recent chest article? What are your goals with this program? It seems kind of like a shotgun program for chest.

[quote]cueball wrote:
I would suggest doing flat BB press, then incline DBs. And as tuchavido mentioned, when your progression stalls on flat, make incline BB your first and then do flat DBs, and so on.

And stop doing 3x8-10. Go check out the numerous threads on ramping. I’ve noticed the ability to progress is increased considerably with this method over 3x10.[/quote]

Forgot to mention that all sets are ramped. And also, the number of sets aren’t set in stone. If you hit your top set and feel like you could still do more weight on the next set, do it.

[quote]JayPierce wrote:
And also, the number of sets aren’t set in stone. If you hit your top set and feel like you could still do more weight on the next set, do it.[/quote]

This is good advice. There is NO reason not to hit another set (or more weight) if “your feelin’ it” just because you’ve completed your preset “template”.

I’ve found this to really help with progression. If I’ve hit my rep range with my top set, I’ll throw 10-20lbs on (generally what I would progress to for my top set the next session) and get another set. This helps prime yourself for the next week where that will be your top working weight.