Incline DB Press Problems?

Tonight while working out i was doing chest/triceps and while i was doing DB incline press i asked a random dude to spot me, basically i just needed help on the first rep to get the weights up, i was using 80lb dumbbells. After i start i guess he didnt understand what i meant by helping me up because he doesnt do shit and just stands there while im struggling with my first rep.

After i do my set of 5 he then tells me i shouldnt do incline db press with that much weight because i could fuck up my shoulder. I then told him i am doing it to work on my upper chest and he told me to use incline barbell. I then proceeded to use 85lb dumbbells and ask someone else for a spot. Any truth to what he said?

Bullocks! Coleman used the 200lbers on the incline. You could fuck up your shoulder if you lose the weight. Get a better spotter next time. What a fuck head. didn’t he realize that the bottom portion of the first is always a bitch.

Sound like you just asked the wrong person for a spot

You could mess up your shoulders if you got a horrible spotter for the first rep… DOH!

If you do anything with bad form using near maximal weights, then you’ll fuck up something eventually.

Most people who don’t touch the weights while spotting are pretty knowledgeable because they understand what constitutes a ‘good’ lift and what constitutes cheating. Next time just say “I won’t be able to get these up for the first rep without help. Push up my elbows so I can start from the top.” Precise language clears up most misunderstandings. If he doesn’t help you then, he probably thinks you’re a leper and is avoiding physical contact.

There is no “upper” chest. I used to think that the pec major was the lower chest and that the pec minor was the upper chest. I was wrong. The pec major is the muscle belly that covers the pec minor. The pec major is the upper, middle, and lower pec. The pec minor is the pec muscle behind the pec major. It’s responsible for bringing your elbows closer to your torso (Pullover) while the pec major is responsible for bringing the elbows closer to themselves (Dumbbell Bench, Flys). By doing pullovers and vertical pulling you can build up the pec minor.

Making the pec minor bigger will push against your pec major and change the overall shape of your chest. But there is no way to focus on the upper pec over the lower pec.

One of the trainers I’ve study with doesn’t like heavy DB movements. He prefers BB movements. With DB’s it is a lot easier to get into an unnatural position and get injured. The same reason DB’s are more effective is the same reason they’re more dangerous.

[quote]FightingScott wrote:

The pec minor is the pec muscle behind the pec major. It’s responsible for bringing your elbows closer to your torso (Pullover) while the pec major is responsible for bringing the elbows closer to themselves (Dumbbell Bench, Flys). By doing pullovers and vertical pulling you can build up the pec minor.[/quote]

…Actually, the pectoralis minor is a shoulder girdle muscle, not a shoulder joint muscle. Think things like scapula protraction and depression.

[quote]colonelquack wrote:
FightingScott wrote:

The pec minor is the pec muscle behind the pec major. It’s responsible for bringing your elbows closer to your torso (Pullover) while the pec major is responsible for bringing the elbows closer to themselves (Dumbbell Bench, Flys). By doing pullovers and vertical pulling you can build up the pec minor.

…Actually, the pectoralis minor is a shoulder girdle muscle, not a shoulder joint muscle. Think things like scapula protraction and depression.

[/quote]

Wouldn’t that be the Serratus? I could have sworn the pec minor was involved in chins, pulldowns, and targeted in pullovers.

dont ask for a spot just tell him u need someone to drop the weights to you then lie down with your arms bent in the bottom position… Trying to pick up those weights oddly rotating your shoulders backwards off the ground is the problem not the spot itself i think.

I have the rule that if I can’t get the weight up myself then it’s too heavy for me.

If you can do 80x5, then you should be able to get the weight up yourself without a spot. You know the technique right? Is it getting the weight to the chest that is the problem? Or is it pushing it out from the chest on the first rep? If it’s the latter, then you may be starting with your elbows too far out. Or maybe a bit of both. If You can’t get the weight up high enough with your knees, it will make the first rep harder.

Just for completeness, I’ll post the technique I use to set myself up on the incline bp. I think it’s the standard way, but it’s worth repeating.

While standing with the 2 db along the sides with the incline bench behind me, I put the dbs on my thighs and sit down. Both dbs should be on your things when you are seated. Once you are in the correct position, clean each db to your chest with the assist of the corresponding leg by lifting your knee. You do this one side at the time. You should be pretty close to the bottom position of your presses.

You probably don’t need a spot at all unless you are working beyond failure. I noticed that spots on inclines usually do more harm than good. A lot of times people push the elbows too fast or unevenly.

Now if you have a ROM problem that makes the bottom position of the db press difficult, then I would suggest you skip the incline db and switch to the barbell which is also easier for people to spot.

I have both the DB’s on my thighs then thrust them up into bottom position, i could get the DBs up on the first rep but it takes a lot out of me, i feel as though if i get it up with help i can then do more weight. I dont agree with your rule.

I cant get 85lb db’s up the first time but if i have someone help me with the first rep then i can push atleast 3-5 more. With your rule i would not be doing that much weight and therefore i would be limiting my strength.

Sounds like another dumbass heard a bogus story and took it to heart. Like everyone else has said, it’s total bullshit.

[quote]jck524 wrote:
I have both the DB’s on my thighs then thrust them up into bottom position, i could get the DBs up on the first rep but it takes a lot out of me, i feel as though if i get it up with help i can then do more weight. I dont agree with your rule.

I cant get 85lb db’s up the first time but if i have someone help me with the first rep then i can push atleast 3-5 more. With your rule i would not be doing that much weight and therefore i would be limiting my strength. [/quote]

I’m not buying it. Do you get a full stretch at the bottom position or are you only doing half reps. If the later is the case then you’re not really hitting the pecs hard and your arms are extended enough to give your triceps more mechanical advantage in moving the load. Go lighter. The only one you’re cheating is yourself:)