T Nation

Incline Curls - Face Down?

Hey I have searched for this but no luck, so I am hoping you all can help me out. I was watching some guys at my gym do incline dumbbell curls but with their chest down- so backwards I guess. Chest down on the bench (like an incline shrug), then curl the dumbbells. Obviously this works the biceps, but how does it change the movement? Does it make it harder or easier, and does it work a different part of the bicep muscle than regular incline curls?

Thanks. Also, whats the appropriate name for this movement?

[quote]skinnymuscles wrote:
Hey I have searched for this but no luck, so I am hoping you all can help me out. I was watching some guys at my gym do incline dumbbell curls but with their chest down- so backwards I guess. Chest down on the bench (like an incline shrug), then curl the dumbbells. Obviously this works the biceps, but how does it change the movement? Does it make it harder or easier, and does it work a different part of the bicep muscle than regular incline curls?

Thanks. Also, whats the appropriate name for this movement?[/quote]

Spider Curls.

Works the biceps at peak contaction (when they are fully contracted). It’s a great exercise. Just stop short of vertical forearms to keep some stress on the muscle.

Works great with straight bar or ez curls bar as well. And works well with a high flat bench with arms hanging straight down.

Like this? http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=6028010537916266486&hl=en

Reminds me of P.O.F. training from Ironman’s Steve Holman.

those are them! thanks so much, I am going to try them tomorrow

I used to do my hammer curls that way. I think it was suggested LONG LONG ago in the testosterone printed magazine. THey’d have a section called ‘exercises youve never tried’, or something like that-lol. Really makes any type of cheating/swinging the weight impossible. I’ve seen so many people trying to do hammer curls with 50’s, and yet their arms look like shit. I’ll do mine this way and get some results instead thanks very much.

S

Larry Scott sells a bench that is designed so you can’t swing your elbows back…

larryscott.com/bio/products/equipment/spiderbench.cfm

I love this Exercise and use it often…

Hint super set this one with preacher curls, the pain is exquisite…

Solid