In the Military - Need Nutrition Help

I just recently finished up boot camp and am now at “A” school training base. I really need some help because I’m extremely limited here. I am only allowed a refrigerator and coffee maker in my room. I would try to sneak in a George foreman grill, but they check everything you bring in and that is not allowed.

I also have to do food shopping on base and the only things that they have that are healthy are caned herring, sardines in soybean oil (not that great), eggs, and nuts. I ordered some protein powder, oatmeal, and fish oil online. I am going to try to cook my oatmeal in my coffee maker and mix it with eggs for breakfast.

I get to eat at the galley 3x a day. I been hitting up the Chinese line and getting tyiakee chicken, white rice, and veggies but it is pretty hard for my to eye ball quantities. In addition, they don’t always give you the same amount of food per serving everyday. Right now I would like to get my body fat lower then start building back up. Can any of you guys give me any advice???

Where are you stationed and what branch?? Isn’t there a grocery store for all the military families? Find a buddy with a car and go shopping off base. I’m sure you’re allowed a blender at least, its not like you’re in boot camp.

Train hard and eat man, that is all the advice you need. I am in the Air Force and during tech school I was lucky to get a good meal in, but I made sure to just cram what I could while I was there and then had snacks at the dorm.

I am currently on the Air Force olympic weightlifting team and am a pro strongman in the 105kg class so it is possible to gain enough strength and muscle to do what you need to do while still in the military. Get that protein in!!!

use canned tunafish and eat raw vegetables from the commissary.
use the coffeemaker to boil the water and steep the oatmeal in it.
for losing bodyfat, skip the white rice and just eat the vegetables and chicken.
get egg beaters at the commissary, they are pasturized and throw it in the protein shake too, you don’t have to cook them.
I got gerber baby bananas for after workout at the commissary too.
If you are living at the Q, they should have a barbeque somewhere in the common area. Just get some chicken and grill it all at once and put it in the freezer. of course you pay for the charcoal :slight_smile:
another trick is to get frozen veggies and just put some in a ziplock and take it with you in the morning. by the time you are ready to eat it, they will be thawed, and you can nuke them for like a minute to eat in the schoolhouse.
if you can get hardboiled eggs at the galley, get a lot and then take some with you when you leave.
go through the speedline for hardboiled eggs then go through the regular line to get scrambled to eat there, and the lunchladies will be different and won’t know you went through both lines :slight_smile:
for losing fat, I also recommend cardio at the gym before breakfast, the eating lots for breakfast, including carbs. you can get oatmeal and fruit for breakfast.

When I was living out of the Q I did cardio in the am early, went to galley for breakfast, then school/class etc, then didnt have time to workout at lunch AND walk to the galley, so I just ate lunch there, and when class let out I see if I had time to workout before the galley closed. If so I did, if not I ate dinner, then worked out again with weights. just have a shake after workout and then bed. pretty good routine.
I lost about 10-15lbs in about 10 weeks, doing 2 a day workouts. did weights 3x a week and cardio every day. the days I didnt have weights I just did cardio 2x a day instead. train your whole body everytime.

of course there is the obvious like no drinking, get lots of sleep, etc to lose weight

good luck, it can be done with patience and dedication. being in a static environment is great compared to a ship, take advantage of your time there and show up looking good to your next command!

I cant help much but you said you have a hard time eye balling stuff hope this is helpful.

* 3 oz. meat: size of a deck of cards or palm of your hand
* 8 oz. meat: size of a thin paperback book
* 3 oz. fish: size of a checkbook
* 1 oz. cheese: size of 4 dice or bout size of your thumb
* Medium potato: size of a computer mouse
* 2 Tbs. peanut butter: size of a ping pong ball
* 1/2 cup pasta,rice,mashed potatoes,oatmeal ect: size of a tennis ball
* Average bagel: size of a hockey puck.
* medium apple or orange: the size of a tennis ball
* 1 cup chopped raw vegetables or fruit: baseball size
* 1/4 cup dried fruit (raisins, apricots, mango): a small handful