T Nation

In The Market for a Radar Detector

I haven’t been pulled over yet since I moved to Atlanta, but I see ‘them’ clocking speed often on the way to work. I’m not a crazy ass 100mph driver, but sometimes you flow with traffic and can easily go over the speed limit by 15+mph. Traffic on the 400 can easily flow 25+mph over the limit of 55 (or 65, depending on area).

What’s a good one that runs under $300 or so? I checked on E-bay and the price ranges are pretty extreme, so I don’t know what I’m getting myself into.

Much appreciated

sorry I can’t help I live in VA where radar detectors are illegal (along with just about everything else that’s cool/fun).

but yeah, good luck with that.

doesn’t the police have radar detector detectors?

[quote]Joris wrote:
doesn’t the police have radar detector detectors?[/quote]

Well, then the OP clearly needs to get a readar detector detector detector.

[quote]Bloobird wrote:
Joris wrote:
doesn’t the police have radar detector detectors?

Well, then the OP clearly needs to get a readar detector detector detector.[/quote]

but then the police already have the new radar detector det…oh never mind

Don’t speed. Its not that fucking hard.

[quote]hardgnr wrote:
Don’t speed. Its not that fucking hard.[/quote]

this is America, we like to drive fast and shoot guns.
sometimes simultaneously :wink:

Not sure about Atlanta specifically, but generally, the guns they use in the city are laser. When the laser detectors go off, you’re already caught. Radar detectors are only really worth it if you do a lot of highway driving.

[quote]hardgnr wrote:
Don’t speed. Its not that fucking hard.[/quote]

You’d be surprised. It’s safe to say that driving the speed limit in some cases is a liability, and is (imo) more dangerous than speeding. But thanks for that fantastic, well thought out post you provided.

[quote]Thomas Gabriel wrote:
Not sure about Atlanta specifically, but generally, the guns they use in the city are laser. When the laser detectors go off, you’re already caught. Radar detectors are only really worth it if you do a lot of highway driving. [/quote]

Everywhere worth going in the Atlanta or Metro-Atlanta area requires at least 2 highways of some sort. Look at a map of Atlanta and you’ll get the idea.

The best out there is made by Valentine, hands down.

But it’s usually around $4-500. There is also a similarly prices Escort one.

2 xmas’ ago I got this one from my girl.

It’s saved me about 50 times since then. Yes I have gotten 1 speeding ticket since getting it. So that’s a 1/51 ratio…no too bad.

And to be fair, the 1 that I got I was doing 90 in a 45 and got enough warning to slow down to 55.

[quote]son of liars wrote:
hardgnr wrote:
Don’t speed. Its not that fucking hard.

You’d be surprised. It’s safe to say that driving the speed limit in some cases is a liability, and is (imo) more dangerous than speeding. But thanks for that fantastic, well thought out post you provided.[/quote]

Please explain your above post.

Are you actually impying that driving at the speed limit say for sake of argument is 100Kph is MORE dangerous than driving at 120+
??Don’t get sarcastic when someone gives you a good piece of advice, even when it’s not what you wanted to hear.
You’re above post is plain retarded, pure and simple.

[quote]son of liars wrote:
I haven’t been pulled over yet since I moved to Atlanta, but I see ‘them’ clocking speed often on the way to work. I’m not a crazy ass 100mph driver, but sometimes you flow with traffic and can easily go over the speed limit by 15+mph. Traffic on the 400 can easily flow 25+mph over the limit of 55 (or 65, depending on area).

What’s a good one that runs under $300 or so? I checked on E-bay and the price ranges are pretty extreme, so I don’t know what I’m getting myself into.

Much appreciated[/quote]

You could probably build one for cheaper.

[quote]PRCalDude wrote:

You could probably build one for cheaper. [/quote]

Short of having an electrical engineering degree and access to a manufacturing plan at hand; how would you suggest he build one?

[quote]rock27 wrote:

Are you actually impying that driving at the speed limit say for sake of argument is 100Kph is MORE dangerous than driving at 120+
[/quote]

yes.

it is safer to keep pace with traffic.
other drivers won’t have to try and pass you and potentially merge into another vehicle, or yours, if their depth percetion is wrong. on I-95 or I-64 where the posted limit is 65mph people routinely drive around 75-80mph in the slow lane.

[quote]B rocK wrote:
PRCalDude wrote:

You could probably build one for cheaper.

Short of having an electrical engineering degree and access to a manufacturing plan at hand; how would you suggest he build one?[/quote]

After looking at the frequency bands the cops are using, nevermind. You’d need some rather expensive software to design the receiver.

[quote]miroku333 wrote:
rock27 wrote:

Are you actually impying that driving at the speed limit say for sake of argument is 100Kph is MORE dangerous than driving at 120+

yes.

it is safer to keep pace with traffic.
other drivers won’t have to try and pass you and potentially merge into another vehicle, or yours, if their depth percetion is wrong. on I-95 or I-64 where the posted limit is 65mph people routinely drive around 75-80mph in the slow lane.[/quote]

It’s safer to drive at the same speed as other motorists on the same road.
But the point made was that in general keeping to the speed limit in general is more dangerous than going over it.

[quote]rock27 wrote:
miroku333 wrote:
rock27 wrote:

Are you actually impying that driving at the speed limit say for sake of argument is 100Kph is MORE dangerous than driving at 120+

yes.

it is safer to keep pace with traffic.
other drivers won’t have to try and pass you and potentially merge into another vehicle, or yours, if their depth percetion is wrong. on I-95 or I-64 where the posted limit is 65mph people routinely drive around 75-80mph in the slow lane.

It’s safer to drive at the same speed as other motorists on the same road.
But the point made was that in general keeping to the speed limit in general is more dangerous than going over it.
[/quote]

agreed.

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.