In Season Basketball

hey guys as ive said many times before im 17 years old, 6"2 and i used to weigh like 185 pounds about 3-4 weeks ago and u guys helped me out with diet and lifting and im suddenly 200 right now and my bench has shot up 20 pounds. However, i did gain a tad bit on the belly.

anyways, im in season right now for basketball, what kinda diet should i be on? should i still keep eating alot like im trying to gain muscle? or should i cut down eating and maintain strength? im really looking to be about 190 not 200. our league games havent started yet (only tournament games) so maybe i can still cut down body fat and maintain strength? (body fat is around 13%)I’m just really confused on what i should be doing in season.

as an ex college player, i recommend you eat big and clean. In my experience, when you do, you find your performance less degraded by the end of the season than it would be otherwise.

[quote]kobe4life08 wrote:
hey guys as ive said many times before im 17 years old, 6"2 and i used to weigh like 185 pounds about 3-4 weeks ago and u guys helped me out with diet and lifting and im suddenly 200 right now and my bench has shot up 20 pounds. However, i did gain a tad bit on the belly.

anyways, im in season right now for basketball, what kinda diet should i be on? should i still keep eating alot like im trying to gain muscle? or should i cut down eating and maintain strength? im really looking to be about 190 not 200. our league games havent started yet (only tournament games) so maybe i can still cut down body fat and maintain strength? (body fat is around 13%)I’m just really confused on what i should be doing in season. [/quote]

i strongly advice you to check out kelly baggett (vj bible, speed manual) and Eric Cressey’s (ultimate off season manual) materials before asking any more questions like this. Aim for performance instead.

i have both the vj bible and speed manual. where does it talk about in season training?

[quote]kobe4life08 wrote:

anyways, im in season right now for basketball, what kinda diet should i be on? should i still keep eating alot like im trying to gain muscle? or should i cut down eating and maintain strength? im really looking to be about 190 not 200. our league games havent started yet (only tournament games) so maybe i can still cut down body fat and maintain strength? (body fat is around 13%)I’m just really confused on what i should be doing in season. [/quote]

In season you play your sport. Practice hard, eat a lot of clean food, get your sleep. As far as lifting goes I would lift heavier after games if we had a day off the next day, usually just maintance (5x3 on oly hybrids (speed) using waved %'s, little assistance lifts, M, W , F,) but it is a whole differnt story if you are playing 40 min a game.
Good luck
Will42

If your only at 13% you are fine to stay there since you will def lose that because most coaches have no clue what the fuck they are doing and you end up doing way to much running and practicing to keep your body its strongest as the season goes on, but you will get lean, at least at first. By the time you get to the end of the season the muscle will be melting away.

Just eat big and clean like the other guys said, and the strength part is hard. You have to work around your practices and games. And if your coach works you too hard your not going to be able to lift much if at all. And if you could I would recommend hitting the upper body with 3 sets of 5 or so, and lower body only if you have a very slow week, like around christmas. You are fighting an uphill battle like I said before because your coach will fuck everything up like most do.