T Nation

In Search of Olympic Lifting Program

does anyone have a good olymipic lifting program, im looking to get a lot more explosive for football and i know that olymipic lifitng will do that. i still want to have things like bench and back squat in it though

thanks for your help

I'd suggest you try Dave Turners olifting beginners program. Dan John talks about it in his ebook "from the ground up'.
3 days a week you do...

Snatch: 8 sets of doubles
Clean & Jerk: 8 sets of singles
Front Squat: 5 sets of 5
Press: 5 sets of 3

You could switch between front squats and back squats. The press in the program is an overhead press but you could switch that around too. The workout is always the same except you always start with a different lift, snatch first one day, then clean first the next and so on....

Why not just add the O-lifts into your current training? You could still do bench, squats and then some other supplementary type lifts, along with the O-lifts.

what does 8 sets of doubles mean and 8 sets of singals

i cant really add olympic lifts to my current training because i really dont have a current training rutine

I'm starting an adapted version of Renaissance Body Development tomorrow (some might say "bastardized," but I think CT would approve of the changes). Here's the article:

http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=700722

Here's my version:

Begin each day with a 10 minute warmup jumping rope:

http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do;jsessionid=BAF68D23663B05C3BBD0AEA41DDF5DBF.hydra?id=459616

Or, do the "Man of Steel Warmup" here:

http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do;jsessionid=BAF68D23663B05C3BBD0AEA41DDF5DBF.hydra?id=459683

Next, pick a set/rep parameter from the following (copied and pasted from the article). It doesn't have to be the same loading parameter for each lift or for each day, just mix it up:

M

Back Squat
Power Clean
Bench Press
Bent Row

W

Deadlift
One-Arm Snatch
Military Press
Pull-up

F

OH Squat
Power Snatch
Incline Bench
Upright Row

Do 15 minutes of GPP using the following guideline:

Rowing
Sprinting
HIIT
Burpees
Power Clean or Power Snatch Burpees
Pull-up Burpees
Gymnastics-type Conditioning
Farmer's Walks
Tabata
Bear Complex with a light weight
Variations on Bear Complex

Bear Complex article:

http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=459657

Finish with 20-30 minutes of low-intensity cardio such as jogging, fast uphill walking, etc. (optional)

That's it!

8 sets of doubles means 8 sets of 2 reps (8x2)

8 sets of singles means 8 sets of 1 (8x1)

Load up your bar with some heavy weight and go to town.

Remember that olympic lifting isn't just about doing a routine, but also practicing the lifts. If you want to start using them for football, I would start on just practicing the full clean. After you learn the full clean, a power clean's technique is easy. You could do these at the start of your "leg day" if you had a routine set up like that, or if you follow a full-body workout of compound movements, start your workout with it.

Shouldn't it be the other way around? Learn the power clean first and then the full squat clean? Also, if you are training for football then the power versions of the O-lifts are more than enough for your purposes. You will get the explosive benefits of the o-lifts without having to worry about learning the technique to nail the full versions of the lifts.

I think you are right that the pull would be more important than jumping under the bar, but so many people learn the power clean incorrectly (pull with the arms, throw the feet out very wide to catch it, not correctly racking the bar..).
How many football players, track athletes, etc, are actually performing the power clean correctly? Not as many as there should be.

Also, when someone is trying to max out on a power clean (which they will eventually try to do), they should at least be able catch it in a squat clean so if the weight isn't pulled as high as necessary it doesn't crash them into the ground. A squat clean is just a missed power clean. And maxing out on a power clean is kind of a dead end.

I am not saying that he should practice enough to become an OL, but at least practice becoming familiar with catching the bar low. I would suggest tons of work with the bar doing front squats in the racked position, and practicing jumping under the bar from a starting position with on the toes with shrugged shoulders into the full squat with the bar racked..again with just the bar. This is just to get him used to the positions, not for piling on the weight. AFter he gets the idea a bit, he can do power cleans and be able to rack the bar properly and have a proper foot positioning. Plus, learning how to squat clean will allow him to do heavy hang cleans in the future if he chose to.

To the question about teaching the power clean before the squat clean: I have heard it taught from both directions and it is really a big debate. However, I think it is difficult to learn how to squat clean if all you have been doing is power cleans. Eventually, you are going to have to start squat cleaning with very light weights to learn it, so why not start now? It takes quite a bit of time to get comfortable with catching the weight in those low positions. It doesn't feel the same as doing a front squat.

Kroll,

You make some good points here, I can see what your thinking is now.

My answer about only needing to do the power clean for sports such as football comes from seeing advice from guys like CT who said in a few articles that to get the benefits of the exercise an athlete doesn't have to worry about the technique required for the full lifts and that the power lifts are easier to learn. But the way you explained it gives some food for thought. Just another example of T-Nation keeping us thouroughly confused and constantly thinking about how to train better!

Another option might be simply performing the oly lifts only from the hang. In theory this lets athletes get the benefit of the olys without learning the complicated transition between the first and second pulls. I say 'in theory' because in my experience going from the hang has its own set of problems. Lots of people tend to deemphasize the legs when pulling from the hang; I still have trouble getting in the proper position for the second pull without performing the lift from the floor.

I find doing hang cleans and hang snatches much easier than from the floor due to my problem moving from the first pull to second pull.

I agree that doing the lifts from the hang would be another good option. They could work on the quick triple extension from the bar above the knees.

I too am working on improving the transition from the 1st to 2nd pull to capitalize on the double knee bend. Funny thing I noticed is that if I slow down the bar on the first pull, my knees rebend more for the 2nd pull.