In Other News Part 3

And this is what you get with open borders.

Unsurprisingly most of the big talk in places like Germany to take it ā€œall the refugeesā€ is bing swiftly walked backā€¦

Ya Merkel (sp?) is like, my bad guysā€¦

I have always wondered about the stock market and the companies with the high valued stocks, Hereā€™s the list of most expensive stocks in the stock market today. Does anybody even buy such stocks since the future value cannot be great and whats the use of buying this much stocks when you can buy more stocks from good growing companies.

Diversified, unmanaged index funds are what I invest in. The go with the market, as opposed to trying to beat it (which I compare to gambling). Thatā€™s all I do along with a Roth 401K. Take that with a grain of salt, Iā€™m hardly a financial guru.

They do that to prevent volatility from short term trading, as Bis said, gambling.

Iā€™m going to deconstruct your question because it shows a misunderstanding of how equities are discussed (maybe because of a language barrier?)

The list youā€™ve linked to is high priced stocks, not high valued ones. Price can be discussed in absolute terms (stock ABC is $50) while value is price as a function of some other factor (stock ABC is trading below itā€™s 200 day moving average or stock ABC has a PE ratio in the bottom quintile of itā€™s industry). It doesnā€™t follow that high priced stocks are necessarily associated with companies with a high valuation (however you care to measure that).

Secondly, the price of a stock has no bearing on the future value of the stock. This should be easily understood as the price of a stock is simply the market cap divided by the number of outstanding shares. The price holds no information about the potential for future growth.

Lastly, there is no positive economic reason to split a stock but there used to be a strong negative reason not to. Before e-brokers took off (mid-90s), commission on a stock sale was based on the number of shares sold. To split a stock 10:1 meant your shareholders would have to spend 10x the amount in commission to sell their holdings. Buffet is on the record saying this was one of the rationales for not splitting BH. Also, (as of my time in college 20 years ago), there was no strong research showing a stock that split out-performed a stock that didnā€™t split over longer holding periods. You would see a small bump in returns when a split was announced but the overall returns would regress to the mean once the initial excitement had worn off.

Generally, a stock split is seen as a modest positive signal from the company that they continue to see growth in their future.

2 Likes

Thanks Dr. P. Iā€™ve always gone with the standard response, but that offers some good insight.

I think it was on a pod cast I listen to - but Buffet place a million dollar bet he would choose one stock and it would beat the best hedge fund portfolio after 10 years ā€¦ I believe it was made in 2008.

Anyway the podcast host (I want to say it was EconTalk) asked the hedge fund manager how he was doing in the bet with his portfolio against Buffetā€™s one stock - the manager said heā€™s getting smoked by like 20% or something like that.

The stock was a S&P index ā€¦ so, thereā€™s that

Oh hell yesā€¦Please let this happen. 1911ā€™s are my favorite. I would love to have several gov. surplus 1911ā€™s. I bet they would compete well with the better makes of 1911ā€™s and (hopefully) be cheap as hell. I would get one for every member of my family. That would be my whole familyā€™s next Christmas present. I would clean each one up, make it purdy and everybody could carry a proper gun with one shot stopping power.
Iā€™d like them to do this with the old government issue .357 mag too. That would make my day!

Unfortunately, it was killed when Obama vetoed H.R. 1735 - National Defense Authorization Act for Fiscal Year 2016.

i have talked to most of the people i know that have young daughters
may be where i live we are backwards uneducated
but
this could get ugly

Got a chubby reading this

1 Like

http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/2016/03/18/jury-awards-hulk-hogan-115m-in-gawker-lawsuit/?intcmp=hplnws

Iā€™m guessing that Europe is gonna get a whole lot less tolerant of crazy people here pretty damn quick.

Here comes some serious profiling.